Votes: 3 0.8%
  • West Coast: Shuey, Naitanui, McGovern, Yeo

Votes: 64 17.6%
  • Bulldogs: Bontempelli, Liberatore, McLean, Macrae

Votes: 6 1.6%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Great, then lets make it 27 or 28 then.

The point is how can you compare a player who has just entered their prime at 25 to a player who is 30 with a couple of flags, 4AA's, 3B&F's etc as they have played 3 or 5 years in their prime.

Not a fair comparison.
It feels like you want to tell ne the Eagles won the flag last year and we didn't. I knew that already though.

If your argument is meant to be wait until careers are over then ok. It's just not the BF way.

Eagles big 7

Shuey Sheed McGovern Darling JK NN Yeo Gaff

Could make it a big 5

McGovern Shuey Gaff JK Yeo

Big Boy Jack Darling has gone missing in big games. Or more notably, big moments in Grand Finals. Two decisive dropped marks in 2015 and 2018. Granted he stepped up at home to Richmond last year but that was a home game, and did the same again against Collingwood in the qualifying final. One good quarter in the 3rd of the 2018 GF isn't enough for me. He wasn't cited in the first half, and ghosted again in the last.

Last edited:
Probably more proof they are the big 4, Richmond are a toothless tiger without these 4 at their best or unavailable. The other players who seemed good players go back to being very average without these 4 in the side.
I agree to some extent, bit if you take out any teams four absolute best players, I dont think they remain a flag threat.

Would Pies win the flag without Grundy, Treloar, De Goey and Howe? Probably not.
Same as taking Kennedy, McGovern Shuey and Yeo from the Eagles, or Kelly, Dangerfield, Blicavs, Hawkins from the Cats.

You get the point.

It feels like you want to tell ne the Eagles won the flag last year and we didn't. I knew that already though.

If your argument is meant to be wait until careers are over then ok. It's just not the BF way.

Nothing to do with the Eagles at all.:thumbsu:

Just making the point that comparing accomplished 30 year olds to 25 year olds who have shown plenty but are 100 + games behind isnt really that fair on the younger guys.

The other side to that is you cant say a player like J Kelly is better than say Selwood based on a couple of great years based on potential as that is also unfair.

Agreed it isnt the BF way though.

Nothing to do with the Eagles at all.:thumbsu:

Just making the point that comparing accomplished 30 year olds to 25 year olds who have shown plenty but are 100 + games behind isnt really that fair on the younger guys.

The other side to that is you cant say a player like J Kelly is better than say Selwood based on a couple of great years based on potential as that is also unfair.

Agreed it isnt the BF way though.
I agree with that.

The hype around Kelly frustrates me a but too at times. He's being rated on potential, and he has heaps, but he also has a fair way to go to put on the level of Martin, Fyfe or Dangerfield.

Metallica/Megadeth/Slayer/Anthrax is the definitive big 4.

But out of these lesser lights, probably a tossup between WC and Geelong. Some great players in there.

Hard to go past Richmond's. Also, how is Geary part of St. Kilda's? Gresham clearly in it.
I think Gresh is great but Geary has seasons of unrecognised form, and is super reiable asa manager backman. His mark in the Essendon game was huge.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I think Gresh is great but Geary has seasons of unrecognised form, and is super reiable asa manager backman. His mark in the Essendon game was huge.
Hardly big 4 material though. Gresham is a far better player.

Not more important.
Lose Blicavs and there's still Henderson, Kolodjashnij and Taylor. Lose Stewart and there's not much rebound off half back and one who is also brilliant at ground level.

Stewart is currently in the best 4 players at our club. Current AA too and sitting comfortably in this years.

Absolute gun.

Metallica/Megadeth/Slayer/Anthrax is the definitive big 4.

But out of these lesser lights, probably a tossup between WC and Geelong. Some great players in there.
Black Sabbath, Judas Priest, Iron Maiden and Motorhead should be the real big 4 of metal, far more influential to metal than the big 4 of Thrash

Constantly hearing about Richmond's 'big 4' has got me thinking - whose is best?

We never hear about any other team and their 'big 4', almost as if there isn't any other that exists.

It's actually quite impressive just how good the top 4 players are from each team.

You can definitely understand how difficult a win would be when 2-3 players of your 'Big 4' are injured (see Richmond).

Adelaide: Sloane, Laird, Crouch, Walker
Brisbane: Zorko, Neale, Andrews, Cameron
Carlton: Cripps, Simpson, Murphy, Docherty
Collingwood: Treloar, Pendlebury, De Goey, Grundy
Essendon: Heppell, Shiel, Smith, Merrett
Fremantle: Fyfe, Mundy, Hill, Walters
Geelong: Kelly, Selwood, Dangerfield, Hawkins
Gold Coast: Harbrow, Witts, Swallow, Weller
GWS: Greene, Coniglio, Cameron, Kelly
Hawthorn: Gunston, Mitchell, O'Meara, Sicily
Melbourne: Brayshaw, Oliver, Gawn, Viney
North: Ziebell, Higgins, Brown, Cunnington
Port: Gray, Jonas, Dixon, Boak
Richmond: Martin, Cotchin, Rance, Riewoldt
St Kilda: Steven, Ross, Geary, Carlisle
Sydney: Kennedy, Parker, Franklin, Heeney
West Coast: Shuey, Naitanui, McGovern, Yeo
Bulldogs: Bontempelli, Liberatore, McLean, Macrae

Apologies if I have your teams best players out of whack, it is actually quite hard!

Richmond have a big five

(next season i guesS)

Back