Round 4: Changes Vs Eagles (DERBY TIME)

Remove this Banner Ad

I don't care how professional the game is, you could put an underdone Bennell in a forward pocket and he'd still offer more than most of our list.

For midfielders , especially ones that ,have yet, to display much in the way of value in other positions such as north(very much only a mid at this stage) I’ve got not problem whatsoever.

Bring them in and have them blow up in(particularly a tough game) and all of sudden it hampers with your rotation limit putting extra onus on your other players, potentially even increasing the risk of injury to them.

As for your quote above I fully agree. This idea of having Bennell be midfielder “fit” is fanciful thinking from our S+C clowns.
If he’s good enough for role in the fwd line just plonk him in there and let him do his thing ffs

Mate, in 2013 they had a large thread on their board dedicated soley to Fremantle's final's campaign, I s**t you not.

I’m not saying we don’t have our share of mental sandcastles we’ve built but that Freo are obsessed one they have is just weird

Maybe it was true back in the day but now it’s just drinble

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

This game should be entertaining. I think the low expectations for us, and the high expectations on them will lead to either a competitive game, or we will have flood gates opened on us and it will be a smashing.

THe main reason we will be competitive is we have a tall backline capable of locking down the key forwards. Pearce will get Kennedy, Hamling will take Darling, and Ryan will most likely take Allan and play the intercept role. This leaves their smalls rotating through which is where we will be in trouble. Ryan, Cripps etc.

Our midfield looks quite average against theirs, so breaking even here would be a massive plus. Our forward line is a bigger strength than it has been in years, so if we have better disposal efficiency into the forward 50 then that is the key. We need to isolate McGovern and simply move the footy away from him. We will see in the opening quarter if we head in his direction. We almost need a decoy lead to take him one way, and then move the ball the other.

Verdict : West Coast are a mature team basically at full strength (as strong as they have been in 2 years). We are missing 3 key players in Blakely, Hill and Fyfe. We have nobody to cover these players, and that is where our team will simply struggle, because I can not see anyone stepping up here over 4 quarters against a quality outfit.

The only thing that gives me any hope, is how well we played against North, and how badly we played against Saints. We need to bring the same effort, but improve our skill level and minimise the clanger count.

Allan is pretty good at tackling for a big.
Notice his tackle last w/end with Collingwood coming out of the backline
Ryan has been battered last 2 weeks, hopefully he's ok
I reckon its their defence that we can affect.
The biter and Jetta can be vulnerable when the ball is in dispute, that's where our smalls need to attack.
Tackle, tackle

This game should be entertaining. I think the low expectations for us, and the high expectations on them will lead to either a competitive game, or we will have flood gates opened on us and it will be a smashing.

THe main reason we will be competitive is we have a tall backline capable of locking down the key forwards. Pearce will get Kennedy, Hamling will take Darling, and Ryan will most likely take Allan and play the intercept role. This leaves their smalls rotating through which is where we will be in trouble. Ryan, Cripps etc.

Our midfield looks quite average against theirs, so breaking even here would be a massive plus. Our forward line is a bigger strength than it has been in years, so if we have better disposal efficiency into the forward 50 then that is the key. We need to isolate McGovern and simply move the footy away from him. We will see in the opening quarter if we head in his direction. We almost need a decoy lead to take him one way, and then move the ball the other.

Verdict : West Coast are a mature team basically at full strength (as strong as they have been in 2 years). We are missing 3 key players in Blakely, Hill and Fyfe. We have nobody to cover these players, and that is where our team will simply struggle, because I can not see anyone stepping up here over 4 quarters against a quality outfit.

The only thing that gives me any hope, is how well we played against North, and how badly we played against Saints. We need to bring the same effort, but improve our skill level and minimise the clanger count.
Disagree a little. Hughes on Darling and Hamling on Allen are better match-ups IMHO.

Darcy/Lobb needs to come in and spank Hickey/Vardy. That ruck combo of the Eagles is a target IMO. Lobb needs to go harder in the first half.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Come on, you lot are clearly obsessed. All you’re talking about is WCE in this thread..
discussion in a thread about changes against our opposition gets somewhat off topic and talks about our opposition. I’m shocked to be sitting here.

I can't follow why Nyhuis is not in contention. He is a proven tough lock down defender and has controlled Liam Ryan . Nyhuis could lock down on either Cripps or Ryan.

I would have to agree.

IMO the changes this week are pretty clear, unfortunately they may not be so clear in the selection committees eyes.

Nyhuis -> Hughes
Switta -> Banfield

If neccesary:
Banfield -> Fyfe

I can't follow why Nyhuis is not in contention. He is a proven tough lock down defender and has controlled Liam Ryan . Nyhuis could lock down on either Cripps or Ryan.

Because Nyhuis really isn't proven or even all that good, and Ryan is a different beast nowadays to the one that ran around for Subi a few years ago

Good analysis. Personally I think our only hope in this match is Fyfe plays, Darcy in, win centre clearances comprehensively and the beauty of 6-6-6 with someone taking Gov well away from where we kick the ball to out of the centre

Good analysis. Personally I think our only hope in this match is Fyfe plays, Darcy in, win centre clearances comprehensively and the beauty of 6-6-6 with someone taking Gov well away from where we kick the ball to out of the centre

Defence is all about zones these days.

One forward should be set as a defensive forward to cover Gov.
Almost considered playing Pearce as the Def forward on him. Pearce is a great defender, but can play forward.

Devastating to lose Fyfe to concussion and a fair few boys struggling to find form as of yet.

OUT: FYFE, BANFIELD
IN: NORTH, VALENTE

Brayshaw, Wilson and Langdon on very thin ice IMO, very lucky Blakely, Logue and Hill are unavailable.

Did Valente play last week, i thought they were still building up his groin strenth.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back