Player Watch Pick #12 (2018) - Zak Butters

Remove this Banner Ad

Even though its like getting hit by an Under-14s player, I like how hard he goes in.

I am also really impressed with his awareness and ability in close. He is like that player in a basketball team who has really great passing skills. You don't know if he's seen you or not, but if you get in the right spot he'll get you the ball, you just have to keep your wits about you and be ready to receive it.

Early days but Chayce Jones over Butters, wowee

The two top 20 fancies I really didn't want us to pick were Jones and McHenry, and the Crows took both of them. Good times.

Hinkley says he had to have a quiet word with Butters, however, whose courage and attack on the player and the football saw him fined by the MRO in Round 3.

“I spoke to him yesterday and I said to him, Zak you’ve just got to be a little bit cautious,” Hinkley said.

“And he said to me, 'I just don’t want to look soft...I just don’t want to look like that player who doesn’t go.'

“I mean, what can you say to a young 18-year-old who gives you that reply?

“I said, 'well mate it’s as dangerous for you as it is for the opposition so be a bit careful. Don’t leave the ground very often. Try and stay on the ground as best you can.'

“He is a brave little bugger and we love that about him.”

https://www.portadelaidefc.com.au/news/2019-04-09/hinkley-lauds-young-guns

Love the answer from Zak ..:D:p

Hinkley says he had to have a quiet word with Butters, however, whose courage and attack on the player and the football saw him fined by the MRO in Round 3.

“I spoke to him yesterday and I said to him, Zak you’ve just got to be a little bit cautious,” Hinkley said.

“And he said to me, 'I just don’t want to look soft...I just don’t want to look like that player who doesn’t go.'

“I said, 'well mate it’s as dangerous for you as it is for the opposition so be a bit careful. Don’t leave the ground very often. Try and stay on the ground as best you can.'

Hopefully Zak can teach Ken rather than the other way around.

On SM-G960F using BigFooty.com mobile app

Play with freedom but curb how you play?

And I hate statement from Hinkley, telling a player to be cautious. That’s how you end up with Nathan Lonie! Now if he just said keep on the feet, I’m happy with that message but be cautious...

And I hate statement from Hinkley, telling a player to be cautious. That’s how you end up with Nathan Lonie! Now if he just said keep on the feet, I’m happy with that message but be cautious...
Give me a break should he say go flat out and get yourself suspended for 6

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

Jesus I realise Hinkley bashing is the in thing right now, but there's nothing wrong with a coach chatting to a young player and suggesting he tries to not get himself suspended.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Play with freedom but curb how you play?
Mate it's something called "common sense" ... flying through the air like a missile with zero chance of getting the ball or impacting the play is dangerous and dumb footy! Brave, but dumb! We dont want him to go soft, or not attack the ball, but as a famous man once said, "you gotta know when to fold 'em!"

Kenny is 100% correct!

Mate it's something called "common sense" ... flying through the air like a missile with zero chance of getting the ball or impacting the play is dangerous and dumb footy! Brave, but dumb! We dont want him to go soft, or not attack the ball, but as a famous man once said, "you gotta know when to fold 'em!"

Kenny is 100% correct!

Exactly right ! Last thing we want is him getting injured or suspended doing something like that.

No doubt Ken reinforced we love his attack on the ball.

JFC Butters laid a bump that was lucky not to get him a week. It's exactly the place of the coach to coach him to stay on the ground and think about his attack on the player/ball. I get that Hinkley-hate is the easiest way to like-whore around here at the moment, but let's try and keep it semi-reasonable.

I
JFC Butters laid a bump that was lucky not to get him a week. It's exactly the place of the coach to coach him to stay on the ground and think about his attack on the player/ball. I get that Hinkley-hate is the easiest way to like-whore around here at the moment, but let's try and keep it semi-reasonable.
I remember Ken in his early days pulling a lot of players in and we became the meekest side ever

Yeah nah Hinkley is doing fine there. If Butters didn't weigh as much as a peanut he could've done some serious damage jumping off the ground to bump like that and copped a big suspension. It's better to stamp that out early and reel his head in before he did something stupid. There's a fine line between toughness and stupidity.

Yeah nah Hinkley is doing fine there. If Butters didn't weigh as much as a peanut he could've done some serious damage jumping off the ground to bump like that and copped a big suspension. It's better to stamp that out early and reel his head in before he did something stupid. There's a fine line between toughness and stupidity.
To be fair, I didn’t see the incident so guess I really shouldn’t have commented.

You dont want to curb him, however he has done that twice now where he has canonballed in to a contest he was never in. Will clean someone up and get himself suspended one day. Just needs to be a bit more thoughtful in those ones.

I don’t think he needed to be told unless he’s dumb which I’m sure he’s not. His natural game is to go hard & that’s part of his arsenal. You can hurt yourself more if you go half arsed. If he gets suspended playing his natural game so be it. As he matures he’ll become smarter.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

I don’t think he needed to be told unless he’s dumb which I’m sure he’s not. His natural game is to go hard & that’s part of his arsenal. You can hurt yourself more if you go half arsed. If he gets suspended playing his natural game so be it. As he matures he’ll become smarter.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

You're right, how dare a coach try and coach an 18 year old player who just played his 3rd AFL game, just let him work it out in his own time :drunk:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back