Review Lackluster Dogs Lose To The Suns, Rd 3, 2019

Sharpiesadog

Team Captain
Sep 8, 2017
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
Derby County
Happy to keep getting games into English, we're not going to win the flag this year. I hope the same logic will apply to Greene and maybe Cavarra down the track. We need to see what they can do and how they develop more than watching Dickson's sad decline. Of course, Tory may yet prove me wrong but I still have quite got over that stuff up when he was run down in Q3.

With further regard to English, his upside is huge, but I would argue Tom Boyd showed more in his 3rd year in the ruck. Seem to remember a handy game in North Sydney towards the end of September 2016. Boyd still has time.

Urtle

Debutant
Oct 6, 2000
The Kennel
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
Steelers
- Last two weeks against more mature sides took a toll on our younger fleet (this is going to be a re-occurring theme for at least this season)
- GC's first 4 games are gifted in the fixture to ensure they have best chance to start well (Stk (A), Freo (H), WB (A), Carl (H)), very different to having to have played Swans and Hawks (mature team/system regardless of lost personnel)
- This was not a taxing game, minimal tackles laid, coaching from both sides were looking to minimize impact for next week, the way we managed players like McLean, Richards was in my view indicative of that
- We stemmed the blood after first quarter but in my view (won clearances, Cont Poss), we were outcoached because of that first quarter, GC and their fast style was always going to start well
- Add all the above to the fact we have a major conversion from I50 issue, and the loss was a very likely outcome

My view is if we get within 6 goals of the Pies, then all is not lost, though I do wonder how Bevo has strategically modelled this season (build youth, resist bringing in bigger bodies when it seems obvious to do so)

Next Waiting

Norm Smith Medallist
Jan 19, 2014
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
I'm finding the left flank a bit of a thing this year. I'd much rather they find a spot for Richards on that side of the ground because for all the cunning, nous, sleight of hand and aerobic capacity that resides there, there isn't much in the way of genuine pace and line breakers.
JJ may be an answer there but I'd like him to switch to the right. Adding the option/capacity of genuine speed exploding from half back on both flanks is something i'd really like to see this year.

Mar 5, 2015
West of Woop Woop
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
Marconi, Arsenal, GreenEdge
Nothing to stress about. Disappointing not to drag it out of the fire at the end but meh.

Was always a danger game to me, theyre playing well and hungry, we had a massive game against Hawthorn and relaxed, and you cant afford to relax against anybody any more.

Bring on the Pies, gonna be a good game, we should match up well against them, our inside mids could dominate, lets be more patient/lower the eyes going I50 and give the forwards chances they didn't get enough of on sunday.

Apr 8, 2005
Melbourne
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs

Witts is a far better ruckman than people give him credit for.

We all know English isn’t ready but we aren’t a contender so why not keep playing him getting games into him?

You think with Trengove in the team we can challenge? I agree we should probably have a support for English but what do we really gain dropping him?​
I think English has been poor all year and this week was awful. It was like playing 17 on 18 out there

It is round 3 - we had a real chance to be 3 -0 so we are definitely a contender for finals and we know that anything can happen once you make the finals. FAR too early to be throwing the season away

Apr 8, 2005
Melbourne
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
English run and gets into position.

I like Trengove and think he was our best ruck last year. Right now it's line ball and as much as I like Trengove English is the future. The sooner we get him to 50 games the better. Engish will be ready to compete from 2020 so playing Trengove is delaying the inevitable - if he was fit, which he wasn't last week.

R2 is a problem though. Schache to 3/4 time didn't manage a hitout against Witts (who to be fair is good tap ruckman) or 2MP who isn't that more advanced than Schache.
How is it line ball? Trengove finished the year as our best ruck and hasn't had an opportunity in the real stuff. English has disappointed in 3 outings.

I'm not sure you can use JLT form as a guide because both Gowers and Williams got gigs after terrible JLT form

How is it line ball? Trengove finished the year as our best ruck and hasn't had an opportunity in the real stuff. English has disappointed in 3 outings.

I'm not sure you can use JLT form as a guide because both Gowers and Williams got gigs after terrible JLT form
Both played as lone ruck in JLT 2 for a half - I thought at the time English played better than expected given his development but I thought Trengove would get the gig.

I don't expect choosing English over Trengove would have been an easy decision hence the 'line ball' commnt.

hutchy31

Norm Smith Medallist
May 25, 2014
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Well, the coaches said Bont was BOG too - 10 votes.

That’s mind boggling imo, if you kick 0.3 including a miss straight in front when your team needs you to stand up - and you don’t really have a great game otherwise - then how can you get BOG?

A few suns players stiff, and probably even a few of ours. Shows you it’s not just umpires that get blinded by star power.

_M_16_

Premiership Player
Nov 26, 2009
Melbourne
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
Liv FC, LA Rams, Pitt Pen, Michigan
Well, the coaches said Bont was BOG too - 10 votes.

That’s mind boggling imo, if you kick 0.3 including a miss straight in front when your team needs you to stand up - and you don’t really have a great game otherwise - then how can you get BOG?

A few suns players stiff, and probably even a few of ours. Shows you it’s not just umpires that get blinded by star power.

I think its because NO ONE, has a perfect or flawless game. Maybe to the coaches, his good massively outweighed his couple of turnovers and missed shots at goal? Aside from a few poor kicks and a quieter last quarter, he was immense in the first three quarters.

Last edited:
Apr 8, 2005
Melbourne
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
I thought Bont put on an absolute clinic in the first half. He could have sat out the last 2 quarters and been in our top handful for the game.
Had some uncharacteristic skills errors and all to common poor goal kicking, but was our best easily i thought

Yojimbo

Cancelled
10k Posts
Nov 14, 2012
The "Elephant" in the room.
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
The Tale Of Bontempelli (A three round journey of profound greatness)

Round 1: 17 Kicks, 12 Handballs, 72.4% Efficient, 1 Clanger, 1 Goal.

Round 2: 16 Kicks, 10 Handballs, 53.8% Efficient, 7 Clangers, 0 Goals.

Round 3: 22 Kicks, 12 Handballs, 61.8% Efficient, 7 Clangers, 0 Goals.

I like the boy, he plays the right way, but needs to lift in a few areas.

Yojimbo

Cancelled
10k Posts
Nov 14, 2012
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
When you pull off the kicks bont does a few clangers is not the end of the world. Needs to sort out the goal kicking but
49 Clangers Round 3 (Team Clangers) 7 is quite a big percentage of that. If you risk the biscuit with your disposal
you will "Clang Up" unfortunately for me Bont had the whole game in his hands which is a sad reflection on our
team at the moment as plenty of others stunk it up far worse. You know Matthew Suckling went at 89.5% Eff on
the weekend, with his nose smashed across his face like the elephant man (so brave).

Munnez

Premiership Player
Apr 2, 2018
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Richards does some wonderful things, just not enough of them.
If only Lippi was a little quicker because he's banging the door down at VFL level.
I reckon Lippi is worth a shot we could use a little more composure with ball in hand

Whoyagot

All Australian
Sep 18, 2018
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Anyone else actually really happy with Bonts form this year?

Massive contrast to his first three rounds last year. His average disposals of his last 7 games would have to be the most he’s averaged his whole career. (3 this year plus the last 4 of 2018 when he started playing big midfield minutes again) Bit messy by foot but he’s getting his hands on the ball. The goals will come I think and there’s still no one I’d rather have the ball in their hands when delivering inside 50.

Doggies7

Premiership Player
Aug 31, 2007
Perth
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
Milwaukee Bucks Manchester City
Bont has been a little sloppy, especially by his standards, but he has been huge so far this year. Absolute beast and looks in fantastic shape.

Oct 12, 2012
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Anyone else actually really happy with Bonts form this year?

Massive contrast to his first three rounds last year. His average disposals of his last 7 games would have to be the most he’s averaged his whole career. (3 this year plus the last 4 of 2018 when he started playing big midfield minutes again) Bit messy by foot but he’s getting his hands on the ball. The goals will come I think and there’s still no one I’d rather have the ball in their hands when delivering inside 50.
Totes. Zero concerns with the Bont from me.

Yojimbo

Cancelled
10k Posts
Nov 14, 2012
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
The goals will come I think and there’s still no one I’d rather have the ball in their hands when delivering inside 50.
Does the added midfield time mirror the drop off in his finishing quality ? Bont has more ability in his little
pinkie than most have in their whole body so I think it's ok to hold him to lofty standards. Don't think
anyone is being critical just come to expect brilliance.

This game had the same feeling as our loss at home to West Coast in 2017 where they came here with a number of their best missing.
Left me feeling empty.

Sep 22, 2008
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
No doubt Schache was pretty poor, especially in the contest but * hes a 21yo KPF cant expect him to bring it every week. I can remember 3 occassions (and im sure there was more) where he'd got himself free on a perfect lead and was either burnt or the kick went no where near him. If he ended up with 3 goals or so which he would have, his game wouldnt be criticized anywhere near as much.

Plus it was bloody fantastic having him and Naughty hitting up the wings as genuine options in the first half.

Our key forward combo looks fantastic when theyre up and about but remember its resting on the shoulders of a 21yo and a 19yo. Its going to go missing not only week to week but probably quarter to quarter unfortunately. The overreactions in here are gold.

Back