Minor things that annoy you about the game

Remove this Banner Ad

Forced redistribution of club profits to other clubs.
Of course a Collingwood supporter wrote this... it's never the North Melbourne fans, funny enough ;)

Genuinely, I think one of the best things about the AFL is that all supporters can harbour genuine dreams that their team can one day become premiers. If you take away measures such as profit-sharing, then it goes back to the 70s and 80s, where the same clubs won over and over, and rest just made up the numbers.

Genuinely, I think one of the best things about the AFL is that all supporters can harbour genuine dreams that their team can one day become premiers. If you take away measures such as profit-sharing, then it goes back to the 70s and 80s, where the same clubs won over and over, and rest just made up the numbers.

Yeah that was real s**t :(

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The many puff pieces when a top draftee re-signs for their club in their first season.

It happens so much now it’s more odd if they don’t. But it’s still pushed by clubs and the AFL so much

Of course a Collingwood supporter wrote this... it's never the North Melbourne fans, funny enough ;)

Isn't that starting to happen now with the dilution and a second division developing?

The emphasis on how many times each club/player touches the ball.

You watch an NBA game and a 24 second play might be half a dozen passes then a shot. The stats sheet will read that player X scored 2 points and player Y is credited with an assist. No one gives a * how many passes there were or that the guy who shot the ball touched it 4 times in the play.

Last year Collingwood had 10,377 disposals. We had 8,902. On average, they touched the ball 43 times per game more than we did. We won one more game in the H&A season and the GF by a kick. If possessions are so important how come one Grand Finalist had 1,000+ more of them than the other over the season?

You watch an NBA game and a 24 second play might be half a dozen passes then a shot. The stats sheet will read that player X scored 2 points and player Y is credited with an assist. No one gives a **** how many passes there were or that the guy who shot the ball touched it 4 times in the play.

Last year Collingwood had 10,377 disposals. We had 8,902. On average, they touched the ball 43 times per game more than we did. We won one more game in the H&A season and the GF by a kick. If possessions are so important how come one Grand Finalist had 1,000+ more of them than the other over the season?

Surely in footy, the number of contested situations is significantly higher than in basketball and thus the ball is in dispute for significantly more time?

This would in turn place greater emphasis on possession as a more meaningful stat than in basketball.

/shrug, I don't know, I could be way off the mark.

You watch an NBA game and a 24 second play might be half a dozen passes then a shot. The stats sheet will read that player X scored 2 points and player Y is credited with an assist. No one gives a **** how many passes there were or that the guy who shot the ball touched it 4 times in the play.
I've not seen emphasis on a club vs club disposal count for a long time. Club vs club is inside-50 differential, and that DOES have a large correlation on who wins.

Surely in footy, the number of contested situations is significantly higher than in basketball and thus the ball is in dispute for significantly more time?

Agree, the hardest skill in footy is finding the ball. Not as tough in basketball, where what you do with it is more important.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back