Certified Legendary Thread China History in the Making

Status
Not open for further replies.
China article in yeterday's Oz by former China Correspondent Rowan Callick that Andrew Hunter tweeted. The Festival of Australia has grown to be 40 events from May 20th in 10 of China's biggest cities and culminates with the AFL gala dinner the night before the Shanghai game and the Shanghai game is the final official event. The game has become the anchor event for the festival.

https://www.theaustralian.com.au/bu...tory/f0a0553c3a0443a7b05505a19356f63d?login=1
This week’s budget, like its predecessors for a decade, hinges on revenue expectations from China.
It follows useful steps taken by the government in the last few days to enhance that relationship. Trade Minister Simon Birmingham has announced that the 40-event “Festival of Australia” to be held from May 20 in 10 of China’s biggest cities, focused on the commercial heartland. This followed news that the role of the Australia China Council (ACC) will be enhanced as it morphs into the National Foundation for Australia-China Relations. Foreign Minister Marise Payne said the new outfit would “harness efforts of the private sector, peak bodies, NGOs, cultural organisations, state and federal agencies and the Chinese-Australian community to turbocharge our national effort in engaging China”.
The Trade Minister hopes to participate in the festival himself, depending on “the electoral gods”. It is being organised by Austrade, with involvement from the Australian chambers of commerce in China and Hong Kong, DFAT, state governments, the AFL, Wine Australia, Meat & Livestock Australia, and Horticulture Innovation. The events culminate in the third annual AFL match to be played in Shanghai, on June 2, between Port Adelaide, which has ploughed considerable effort into its Chinese initiative, and St Kilda.
The organisers intend to extend the festival’s reach through an online campaign that will feature Chinese opinion leaders.It marks an evolution from the Australia Week that brought 1000 business people to China in 2014 and 2016, but which required renovation. Broadcaster David Koch, chair of Port Adelaide, said the festival was “an incredible vote of confidence for what Port Adelaide is doing in China. When we first played an official game in China in 2017, people were surprised even that was possible.” Now the annual match is to anchor the Festival of Australia. Koch said: “I couldn’t be prouder. I encourage all businesses with a focus on China, and all footy supporters, to be there. All roads lead to Shanghai. I can’t wait.”
The festival will coincide with celebrations for Victoria’s 40th anniversary of its sister-state relationship with Jiangsu province, including a gala dinner in Nanjing. Victorian Premier Daniel Andrews is likely to participate, and go on to attend the AFL fixture in Shanghai. ..................The range of festival events include a showcase in Kunming involving film, photography and indigenous performance, a “breakfast of champions” consumer competition to be launched in Shanghai promoting breakfast products, an aged care education mission visiting three cities, the annual wine tasting roadshow, the launch of a campaign linking coffee with tourism, a Victorian “business of sport” delegation, the Australia-China Business Awards annual dinner to be held in Hong Kong, and an AFL gala dinner in Shanghai.
Andrew Hunter, the general manager for China engagement at Port Adelaide, said: “The bilateral relationship between Australia and China traversed a difficult period, but is once again gathering positive momentum.” Hunter described the annual AFL match as “a bright star” in some awkward days, and identified the renewal of the relationship with the visit last May of the then Trade Minister Steve Ciobo to attend the game in Shanghai — the first time in eight months an Australian minister had been granted a visa...................
https://www.theaustralian.com.au/bu...tory/f0a0553c3a0443a7b05505a19356f63d?login=1

Last edited:
OneGreatClub the article linked above by REH is the one you mentioned in your post yesterday.

I had trouble finding it on-line. It was well hidden in Business ... not positioned in Sport, or Community.

Lockhart Road you might have more chance convincing that - Victorian “business of sport” delegation, the Australia-China Business Awards annual dinner to be held in Hong Kong - to talk to the government/authorities to make sure the new stadium on the old Kai Tak airport site, is built big enough to host an international cricket match and therefore AFL matches, than you did trying to get Chairman Moi to understand the opportunity.

Lockhart Road you might have more chance convincing that - Victorian “business of sport” delegation, the Australia-China Business Awards annual dinner to be held in Hong Kong - to talk to the government/authorities to make sure the new stadium on the old Kai Tak airport site, is built big enough to host an international cricket match and therefore AFL matches, than you did trying to get Chairman Moi to understand the opportunity.
Chairman Moi was the one I found to be most trying.

Apr 5, 2019
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
I hope we just move on from China. As quoted above, the Club hasn’t got the resources to execute the right infrastructure and we lose focus on the general day to day operations of a Football Club.

We went in half-arsed and sold a lemon.

I like the early signs of 2019 but have no confidence in the China project and expense to the Club in its current form.

Last edited:

portly

Premiership Player
Apr 8, 2001
SA
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
I hope we just move on from China. As quoted above, the Club hasn’t got the resources to execute the right infrastructure and we lose focus on the general day to day operations of a Football Club.

We went in half-arsed and sold a lemon.

I like the early signs of 2019 but have no confidence in the China project and expense to the Club in its current form.
Just now and again I get gobsmacked.

Yes, there are major issues with how the club is taking advantage of our inroads in China. But to drop it now when we have some traction and limelight would be silly.

I would like us to be spending far more on China, particularly staffing on the ground there.

May 26, 2017
Uruguayana, RS (BRA)
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Grêmio, DC United, Pistons
Just now and again I get gobsmacked.

Yes, there are major issues with how the club is taking advantage of our inroads in China. But to drop it now when we have some traction and limelight would be silly.

I would like us to be spending far more on China, particularly staffing on the ground there.
Stop screwing around, trying to keep a "friendship with benefits". For this to work, we must "marry" China. All in or nothing...

I watched a replay of Monday's 4 Corners program last night - Interference - with investigative journo Nick McKenzie of The Age's Baker and McKenzie fame, who have done investigative stories into the Melbourne Carlton Crew / Underbelly criminals, Melbourne mafia, bent coppers etc. They even spent time investigating Dank and Essendon with Caro in 2013.

Monday night's show was about Chinese interference in Australian political process, with Billionaires buying influence into both political parties as well as the government trying to interfere especially in ctiticism of Beijing and in particular by Chinese-Australians. Just another reason to snare a big sponsorship deal now rather than the treacle community stuff, as Beijing and Canberra get into a bigger s**t fight over time.

You can read the full transcript (click on the button at end of synopsis) and video at
https://www.abc.net.au/4corners/interference/10982212
New evidence of China's covert political influence campaign in Australia. "We've had multiple briefings at the top-secret level from ASIO and other agencies that foreign interference is being conducted in Australia at an unprecedented level." Federal Intelligence and Security Committee member.

In 2017, Four Corners, in a joint investigation with The Age and Sydney Morning Herald, revealed the lengths the Chinese Communist Party was going to, to influence Australia's politicians. In response, the federal government passed new laws to ban foreign interference. "Political systems and parties just took what they could for as long as they could get away with it." Former prime ministerial adviser.

Now, in a new investigation, the joint reporting team can reveal fresh and compelling evidence of covert Beijing-backed political activity taking place in Australia. "Chinese foreign policy is now following a much more assertive and, in some cases, aggressive approach." China analyst.

The investigation has uncovered secret information gathering operations targeting sensitive Australian intelligence analysis. And despite the new laws, there is evidence that Australian politicians have not listened to the warnings issued by Australia's own intelligence agencies. "The Chinese Communist Party has sought to use all sorts of vehicles to have non-transparent mechanisms, means of influencing the politics in Australia and elsewhere."Former prime ministerial adviser.

Politicians are not the only ones receiving Beijing's attention. The investigation will reveal how Chinese authorities are stifling dissenting voices by targeting members of the Chinese-Australian community who fail to toe the party line. "There is always a red line that everyone is actually quite afraid of crossing...because of repercussions from the Chinese consulate or the Chinese government." Newspaper publisher.

Lockhart Road not sure if you have VPN to get around the ban on ABC website in China or if by embedding the facebook link to the full program in here lets you see the video.

Lots of snippets on 4 Corners twitter account
https://twitter.com/4corners

I watched a replay of Monday's 4 Corners program last night - Interference - with investigative journo Nick McKenzie of The Age's Baker and McKenzie fame, who have done investigative stories into the Melbourne Carlton Crew / Underbelly criminals, Melbourne mafia, bent coppers etc. They even spent time investigating Dank and Essendon with Caro in 2013.

Monday night's show was about Chinese interference in Australian political process, with Billionaires buying influence into both political parties as well as the government trying to interfere especially in ctiticism of Beijing and in particular by Chinese-Australians. Just another reason to snare a big sponsorship deal now rather than the treacle community stuff, as Beijing and Canberra get into a bigger s**t fight over time.

You can read the full transcript (click on the button at end of synopsis) and video at

Lockhart Road not sure if you have VPN to get around the ban on ABC website in China or if by embedding the facebook link to the full program in here lets you see the video.

Lots of snippets on 4 Corners twitter account
https://twitter.com/4corners

I can access the video, nil perspirandum. No censorship in HK as far as I’m concerned. Will watch all forty-plus minutes and comment if need be.

This China infiltration stuff makes me smile quietly to myself ... especially now that I’ve recounted my Pig Iron Bob experience on the ‘Star’ Ferry in 1971 in the TV Docudrama thread ... when I think of the behind-closed-doors consensus by our fearless leaders, one of whom was PIB, well before Pearl Harbor to draw a line from Brisbane across the continent and vacate the top end, thus handing half of Australia to Japan minus so much as a stone being pinged at them out of a ‘Shanghai’. Yes, ironic that name. Will now google the origin of it.

Edit: According to the Australian National Dictionary, the word is shanghai, probably from shanghie, a variant of Scots dialect shangan (a stick cleft at one end), assimilated to the Chinese city name, also used in American English for kidnapping sailors, a usage that would have been familiar in Australia after the gold rush.
Earliest usage quoted is 1863 in the Melbourne 'Leader', where the spelling is shanghay, but all other quotes (1875-1982) in the dictionary spell it shanghai.

It appears to be an Australian word.

Last edited:
And this dill is the leader of the Opposition in SA? How thick are those below him?

Andrew Hunter, you have work to do. Get to it. Pronto.

He’s not the leader of the Opposition, but he is a dill.

Fancy a soccer team from Shanghai getting coverage by the Chinese press core. Next he’ll be telling us that there’s a massive Australian press contingent going across to England when the Ashes are on.

Complete and utter dullard.

May 26, 2017
Uruguayana, RS (BRA)
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Grêmio, DC United, Pistons
And this dill is the leader of the Opposition in SA? How thick are those below him?

Andrew Hunter, you have work to do. Get to it. Pronto.
From "the world has chosen its football code, so no reason to take Aussie rule overseas" brigade, it seems...

He’s not the leader of the Opposition, but he is a dill.

Fancy a soccer team from Shanghai getting coverage by the Chinese press core. Next he’ll be telling us that there’s a massive Australian press contingent going across to England when the Ashes are on.

Complete and utter dullard.
Sorry. I got my Koutsantonis mixed up with my Malinauskas ... a bit like getting Jones mixed up with Smith in Athens, I guessadopolous.

Found this vote-winner re Kousantonis on Wikipedia:
Koutsantonis has served in a range of ministerial portfolios with responsibility for finance, state development, mineral resources and energy, small business, ministerial resources and energy, and for road safety, where Koutsantonis was forced to apologise for his "unacceptable" driving record which listed 58 traffic offences and over $10,000 in fines. He subsequently resigned the portfolio.

chickentendies

Cancelled
BeanCoiNFT Investor
Mar 26, 2017
AFL Club
Port Adelaide

Building on this:
1554902157506.png

Channel 7, I've given you your hot take.

'Port Power est 1997 star alipale carlisle jumping off the sinking ship with theo doroporolous more @ 7'

Sorry. I got my Koutsantonis mixed up with my Malinauskas ... a bit like getting Jones mixed up with Smith in Athens, I guessadopolous.

Found this vote-winner re Kousantonis on Wikipedia:
Koutsantonis has served in a range of ministerial portfolios with responsibility for finance, state development, mineral resources and energy, small business, ministerial resources and energy, and for road safety, where Koutsantonis was forced to apologise for his "unacceptable" driving record which listed 58 traffic offences and over $10,000 in fines. He subsequently resigned the portfolio.

Malinauskas is a Lithuanian name.

I see the SA Government has unleashed its razor gang on Department of Trade, Tourism and Investment.

Other executives InDaily has attempted to contact – and who are understood to be affected by the changes – include Lino Strangis, the executive director of International Engagement, Trade, Immigration and Higher Education, the Director of Future Industries and Advanced Manufacturing Andrew Cooper, financial services and capital markets director Mario Pegoli, China International Engagement director Quentin Bai and Jing Li, the Director of International Investment Attraction and former head of the China Team at the now-defunct Department of State Development.
One stakeholder told InDaily the changes could have a profound impact on the state’s international engagement, particularly in the lucrative China market.

“International relations, particularly in China, are very relationship-based… if you lose everyone in a particular space all at once, you’re making a decision to forfeit not only corporate knowledge, but relationships that are built over time,” they said.

https://indaily.com.au/news/local/2019/04/11/bureaucratic-bloodbath-as-govt-guts-trade-agency/

Get on the dog and bone to these people, Ports.

China International Engagement director Quentin Bai and Jing Li, the Director of International Investment Attraction and former head of the China Team at the now-defunct Department of State Development.

Last edited:
Jayne Whibley is Account Manager - China Engagement at Port Adelaide Football Club now. I haven't had the chance to do more research but I wonder if she's replacing someone (i.e. Claire B) or it's a new role. In any case, I think she was great as volunteer coordinator, but I wonder if she's got the right skills and experience for China.

Jayne Whibley is Account Manager - China Engagement at Port Adelaide Football Club now. I haven't had the chance to do more research but I wonder if she's replacing someone (i.e. Claire B) or it's a new role. In any case, I think she was great as volunteer coordinator, but I wonder if she's got the right skills and experience for China.
This is very nice for Jayne. She switches from PCL across to the China team, such as it is, and will be up in Shanghai working very hard there for the week of the match. But what this has to do with servicing China accounts and making money for the Club ... I’d suggest not much if anything.

The Gateway Project and Victorian Gov see the China potential are jumping massively on board. PAFC gets a small mention as the club playing the Saints in Shanghai.

https://www.miragenews.com/victoria-globally-connected-asia-focused/

Meanwhile the progressive SA government looks for ways to cut international initiatives to find funding to throw at bloated big business mates to turn Adelaide Oval into a construction site for a hotel we don't need.

Never change South Australia. Keep those snouts in the trough so you never have to lift your eyes above the horizon.

The Gateway Project and Victorian Gov see the China potential are jumping massively on board. PAFC gets a small mention as the club playing the Saints in Shanghai.

https://www.miragenews.com/victoria-globally-connected-asia-focused/

Haha I have 7 small Experience AFL at the Oval google ads on that page with a picture of Ollie, Hoff, Bonner and another player in a group hug.

I note in the story;

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back