Have you evee gotten over your team losing a Grand Final?

Remove this Banner Ad

2005 for me, still the only GF I can't watch, I am fully okay now re-watching 2015 GF since the 2018 win. "Leo Barry you star"is the most haunting words I have ever heard in my life.

I still can't handle watching or thinking about 2012 or even the 2011 prelim.

If it's close it's much harder to get over I think.

I've never re-watched any of our losing GF's, but 05 and 15 don't bother me really (too young for 91 to mean anything ). I think because we lost to sides I don't really dislike in any way, and don't feel cheated about the results for whatever reason. That and winning one closely after probably helps.

If we lose a GF to certain sides I could imagine it stinging much more.

2013 still bittersweet. Worked so hard to get there, handled Hawthorn well (of the 3 in a row Hawthorn- lowest loss), just couldn’t convert. For some teams, it’s not easy and never second chances. Just so close yet so far. Looking at it now, 6 years on. Came first but just haven’t been close enough since.

Yes, I am over 2015. But only because WC won 2018.

However, I do have a heightened sense of agitation when watching WC play and tend to overreact to losses. After that game, there has always been a sense or concern the team will blow it.

I'm not still angry about the lost GF, but I have become less comfortable with poor performances and tend to ride the bumps a little more.
Agree with this. Feel like would get over 2013 if we win the next GF. Softens the blow. Get that chance at redemption.

1991 I feel was corrected with 2 flags by the same core unit, so I’ve let that go many years ago - part of our history now. We also knocked the Hawks out in 1992, so that was a bit more retribution there.

2005....hmmm that is actually one that does still sting a little - mostly because of the What Ifs. I think we were a better team than Sydney that year but the team we fielded on the day was full of holes...Gardiner up forward, Travis Gaspar (!), Brent Staker, No Phil Matera or Quinten Lynch...Lost it at the selection table. Oh and seeing Leo Barry continually was painful. Know how Pies feel re Sheed with that one. That all said, 2006 helped a lot obviously, especially beating the same side.

2015...it was just such a disappointing game and I didn’t think I’d get to see this team get another crack....so last year very much helped fade 2015 from the dark memory bank. Would like Naitanui, Gaff and Shep to have another crack too but who knows.

2005 - the blatant manipulation to get Barry Hall to play by getting his punch downgraded because it was 'in the field of play' when it was against the fence and the ball was over 50 metres away (and going further). We all knew that the AFL needed Sydney to win a flag to put the stamp of success on the expansion to NSW and that no Hall, no chance against the best side. It didn't help our goalscoring that we didn't select Phil Matera or the big Q either.
And as for that Leo Barry mark. Not his fault but it should have been taken off him and given to Sampi for a shot on goal as Sampi was being tackled without the ball to keep him from entering the contest.

I actually feel worse about some other final losses than the GF ones. Particularly the early years when the MCG rules meant that we often had to travel for week after week until there was basically no chance. Often to play games that nowadays would be at home. 1990 it the last 2 h&a followed by 4 finals in Melbourne. By the last few they were just stuffed. Lost to Pies by ten goals a week after drawing with them, beat Melbourne despite conceding 13 goals in the second half (and 7 to 3 in Q4) before being demolished in the prelim.
As bad was the 1996 'reward' for winning a qualifying final was to play Essendon at the MCG as the home team in a semi-final. This was one of the games that did lead to the change in venue policy.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Its fine to take pride in your teams success but if you're genuinely cut up over losing a Grand Final years or even decades after it you need help.
Yeah how dare fans have passion.... Gimme a break

It's more that I've never gottten over Grand Final wins.

A loss will eat at you until you bag one.

Won last Grand Final they played in
West Coast
Geelong
Footscray
Richmond
Hawthorn
North Melbourne

Lost last Grand Final
Collingwood
Sydney
St Kilda
POrt Adelaide
Brisbane
Essendon
Melbourne
carlton
Adelaide
Fremantle

Haven't played in one
Gold coast
GIANTS

Swans 2016 is more of a 2014+2016 loss. They've been lucky that the Crows didn't show up in 05 & 06, and that the Giants didn't show up in 16.
2005 - the blatant manipulation to get Barry Hall to play by getting his punch downgraded because it was 'in the field of play' when it was against the fence and the ball was over 50 metres away (and going further). We all knew that the AFL needed Sydney to win a flag to put the stamp of success on the expansion to NSW and that no Hall, no chance against the best side. It didn't help our goalscoring that we didn't select Phil Matera or the big Q either.
And as for that Leo Barry mark. Not his fault but it should have been taken off him and given to Sampi for a shot on goal as Sampi was being tackled without the ball to keep him from entering the contest.

I actually feel worse about some other final losses than the GF ones. Particularly the early years when the MCG rules meant that we often had to travel for week after week until there was basically no chance. Often to play games that nowadays would be at home. 1990 it the last 2 h&a followed by 4 finals in Melbourne. By the last few they were just stuffed. Lost to Pies by ten goals a week after drawing with them, beat Melbourne despite conceding 13 goals in the second half (and 7 to 3 in Q4) before being demolished in the prelim.
As bad was the 1996 'reward' for winning a qualifying final was to play Essendon at the MCG as the home team in a semi-final. This was one of the games that did lead to the change in venue policy.
Completely agreed. The '96 and '99 SFs piss me off more than any GF loss.

Getting thumped in the 2016 home elimination just when we were starting to look dangerous was one of our worst finals losses.

Bombers might bemoan the '99 PF (especially given that the Blues and Eagles were no flag factor), but Eagles fans in the preceding game have more reason to be aggrieved I feel.

I'm over the 2004 loss and rarely think about it. Playing our preliminary final at Geelong still rankles a little. But there's the three peat and we also knocked port out of a couple of earlier finals.

Terrific video of the day of the 1965 Grand Final. Fans scalping tickets, fans telling the camera who’s going to win etc.
Check out the last 3 minutes and the St Kilda fans and how they felt about losing.
“I feel sick, I’ve spent my money and spent my voice” is a great line.
One girl just runs away crying and can’t speak to the camera.
Other fans discuss it was the umpires fault.
Footy in a bygone era, but are we still just the same?

Yes, life moves on and there are more important things to worry about. We absolutely choked something shocking in 2008 but that's life.

If you live for, say, 90 years, then you should see your team lose 5 Grand Finals in your lifetime. Happens to most footy supporters. Frankly, if that's the worst thing that happens to you in life, then I envy you.
Damn I have nearly reached my quota already (born in 1977)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back