Preview Round 4 - Changes/Prematch Discussion vs Adelaide Crows

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I just don’t get it. Drop Wood to find some form. Gets injured and doesn’t set the world on fire... comes straight back in.

Meanwhile, the kid that won the Frosty and kicked 3.3 in the first VFL game doesn’t get a sniff.

Just remember, this is Bard Scotts.

That should clear everything up for you

Apart from our other issues we seem to lack energy and drive for four quarters. At quarter time on Sunday it was obvious that Hawthorn was going to come back into the game, and it was going to take a four quarter effort to get over the line. But our second halves in all three games have been absolutely lifeless. Could be a fitness issue? I mean, it sounds silly talking about fitness in round 3 2019, when you'd expect that all clubs should be on about the same level of fitness. But we just lack any drive in second halves and can't seem to run when the game invariably opens up.

Apart from our other issues we seem to lack energy and drive for four quarters. At quarter time on Sunday it was obvious that Hawthorn was going to come back into the game, and it was going to take a four quarter effort to get over the line. But our second halves in all three games have been absolutely lifeless. Could be a fitness issue? I mean, it sounds silly talking about fitness in round 3 2019, when you'd expect that all clubs should be on about the same level of fitness. But we just lack any drive in second halves and can't seem to run when the game invariably opens up.
It's like we prepare in isolation oblivious to what our competitors are going

Is anyone else still in shock that the terrible gameplan we saw in pre-season wasn't just a warm-up or tweak but was exactly what we planned to bring into the season proper? That not only did we have a bad gameplan we worked on all summer but that we singalled to the competition, two weeks in advance, that we were going to play an aggressive, handball heavy style that is easy to defend and that we don't have the players necessary to pull off?

Is anyone else still in shock that the terrible gameplan we saw in pre-season wasn't just a warm-up or tweak but was exactly what we planned to bring into the season proper? That not only did we have a bad gameplan we worked on all summer but that we singalled to the competition, two weeks in advance, that we were going to play an aggressive, handball heavy style that is easy to defend and that we don't have the players necessary to pull off?

No.

In's; Anderson, Wood

Out's; Campbell Tyson ( imo)

Yep the club will most likely go with this ^ scenario, even if it's not the one we want.
  • Jed for Tyson is an easy swap now that Jed is ready
  • Campbell needs to come out leaving only Wood and Larkey to take his place. Given the club now wants to limit the number of new faces they'll most likely choose the undeserving Wood over Larkey.
We need to find a way to also fit in Ahern but that would then require pulling out a running type from the mid.

Pretty interesting article on Adelaide.

https://outline.com/cCJxBh

Slow Adelaide down and deny them space - that’s the key to beating the Crows.

And when they have the ball pressure the life out of them.

It takes a very disciplined team to beat Adelaide and Hawthorn and Geelong are that.

A quick turn-around won’t be easy, with so many players well below their best.

Forward of centre, their once lauded forward line appears unwilling to nullify one-on-one contests when the ball isn’t kicked perfectly to them.

Their midfield can’t generate enough consistent pressure on the opposition and too many players are winning junk possessions with little influence.

Yep 4 goals up and it was more obvious than ever.
I didn't really believe the 'some players have the flu' story until Jay Clark mentioned it on a podcast this week.
That 'lifeless' look you mention in the second half of each game should improve, although it won't solve our many other issues.

We can do that for a quarter or a half. But when the game opens up late, they'll easily get away from us. We'd need to be 40 points up at half time, and I still won't be confident. Not to mention, that it's hard to be 40 points up with our forward line. We'd have to be up 48:8 or something like that...

We can do that for a quarter or a half. But when the game opens up late, they'll easily get away from us. We'd need to be 40 points up at half time, and I still won't be confident. Not to mention, that it's hard to be 40 points up with our forward line. We'd have to be up 48:8 or something like that...
Well, when you know Jmac is good for 8 turovers a game in the back half you know the other team will score on us quickly.

The tactic is obvious and the roles of Turner, Atley and Simpkin become very clear. It's late enough in the week for me to stop being completely negative, but I have this nagging feeling that we'll lose and one of the key elements of Adelaide's win will be Laird, Milera or Smith getting off the chain.

The tactic is obvious and the roles of Turner, Atley and Simpkin become very clear. It's late enough in the week for me to stop being completely negative, but I have this nagging feeling that we'll lose and one of the key elements of Adelaide's win will be Laird, Milera or Smith getting off the chain.
That's my worry as well.

Given our inability to mount pressure in the forward half along with our one man clearance set up in the middle, it's not looking good for us.

That's my worry as well.

Given our inability to mount pressure in the forward half along with our one man clearance set up in the middle, it's not looking good for us.

Trying to be positive, I think the centre square set-up improves significantly with Anderson and Ahern back, and Turner and Atley at least have the tools to play a lockdown role on their half back play-makers. Hopefully the coach works this out, too.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Well, when you know Jmac is good for 8 turovers a game in the back half you know the other team will score on us quickly.
That wasn't really the case against Hawthorn.

Laird will get to 50 disposals this week.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Maybe you are right, but I dont think he is gifting games to those players you listed. I think each of them offer something. Before you drop these players, you need to replace them. Who do you bring in?
McDonald for whom? I would take him over Wright, or any other defensive player on our list fitting the same body shape.
Macmillan (offers great leadership) for whom?
Atley (offers great pace) for whom?
Simpkon (is young and needs games, and has sublime skills)
Turner (has fantastic forward pressure) for whom?

Wood struggled, and got dropped. I personally have called for Larkey and would play him instead of Campbell, but mainly because he is our future. Same logic applies to Simpkin, LDU, Ahern, etc....

Im not saying Brad is right, but rather than jump on here and attack the coaching staff, many of us want to read positive comments, not all this negative crap. I mean, which club has a petition to sack the coach on their board. Seriously!! That is crazy sh1t.
I am glad everything is fine and back on track.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Wood is too talented not to be given more chances. Seriously.

I'm all for making an example of players not putting in physically but would hope that was applied to senior entrenched players, not blokes who have scattered their career of 40 games across 7 seasons.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back