Official Club Stuff Ask Lions_Insider!

Remove this Banner Ad

It’s just a side discussion on a forum. It’s not dragging down anything.

When the chorus of complaints begin to outweigh the applause, then that position comes under scrutiny.

It's not a junket.
The reasons why it would be pursued with Collingwood should be evident to even the most casual observer.
And there's no reason, if it's successful, that it can't be broadened to other clubs or our own members.

But, we've been crying out for Government assistance for ages, so when it's given....people just wanna throw stones at it?

Gimme a break.....

When the chorus of complaints begin to outweigh the applause, then that position comes under scrutiny.

Again, you are overstating the impact of a minor discussion on a forum. There will be 30,000 plus people applauding next Thursday.

The reasons why it would be pursued with Collingwood should be evident to even the most casual observer.
And there's no reason, if it's successful, that it can't be broadened to other clubs or our own members.

But, we've been crying out for Government assistance for ages, so when it's given....people just wanna throw stones at it?

Gimme a break.....

Asking questions and inquiring about specifics of the initiative isn’t throwing stones, nor is it a “chorus of complaints”. It’s people seeking clarity on a topic that is of interest to them, which just happens the purpose of this thread.

No one needs a lesson on the economic weight of Collingwood, but when all we had was a quote from Eddie saying that Queensland is “bringing them up”, it is pretty much to be expected that supporters a club with an appreciable Victorian fanbase might ask “hmm, can you cut us off a slice of that too?.”

In the absence of information, people speculate, and often speculation is negative. We are already getting a clearer picture and more measured appreciation of the situation now specifically by asking questions.

Last edited:
Again, you are overstating the impact of a minor discussion on a forum. There will be 30,000 plus people applauding next Thursday.

Asking questions and inquiring about specifics of the initiative isn’t throwing stones. It’s people seeking clarity on a topic that is of interest to them, which just happens the purpose of this thread.

In the absence of information, people speculate, and often speculation is negative. We are already getting a clearer picture now specifically by asking questions.

What more clarity do you need?

As I said, it should be clear WHY the project has been undertaken with Collingwood - and the club didn't advertise this themselves, it was uncovered via a WA newspaper - which would incline one to think why that would be the case. I'll leave that open to the relevant speculation people wish to provide, but I can think of reasons why that would be so and I don't REALLY need to discuss them.

I'm happy they are giving it a go and if it's a success, I fully support efforts to ensure the scheme is broadened to look after our Vic Lions. But, as I'm sure you know, when navigating new policy, you do everything you can to make it a success.

When I first got the Gabba about 10 years ago (being from Vic) and heard the announcer say "Ok Lions fans, please welcome, the Port Adelaide Power to the Gabba" as they ran out... I nearly fell backwards off my seat, it is essential a hostile reception is received to those visiting your home ground. LOL
I just googled the aboriginal name for Wooloongabba.
Wooloon means Fight
Gabba means Place.
So it is written.

What more clarity do you need?

As intimated earlier, I was curious as to what the specifics of the arrangement look like, I.e. is it discount flights, tickets, accommodation etc?

Was also curious as to whether it was a one-off, whether it will be limited to the Easter Thursday game every year or whether it’s something that can be scaled across more games and/or made available to Victorian Lions fans in the future. Some of these things have since been somewhat clarified by Lions Insider.

You were happy not to hear any more about it pages ago, good for you. Not sure why we have to keep hearing that from you rinse/repeat though, nor put up with having good faith questions dismissed as throwing stones or a “chorus of complaints”.

You might want to understand the point of this thread before appointing yourself gatekeeper.

Thanks anyway to Lions_Insider for being able to provide clarity where possible. I aappreciate that being a government initiative, you are probably limited in what you can disclose.

As intimated earlier, I was curious as to what the specifics of the arrangement look like, I.e. is it discount flights, tickets, accommodation etc?

Was also curious as to whether it was a one-off, whether it will be limited to the Easter Thursday game every year or whether it’s something that can be scaled across more games and/or made available to Victorian Lions fans in the future. Some of these things have since been somewhat clarified by Lions Insider.

You were happy not to hear any more about it pages ago, good for you. Not sure why we have to keep hearing that from you rinse/repeat though, nor put up with having good faith questions dismissed as throwing stones or a “chorus of complaints”.

You might want to understand the point of this thread before appointing yourself gatekeeper.

Thanks anyway to Lions_Insider for being able to provide clarity where possible. I aappreciate that being a government initiative, you are probably limited in what you can disclose.

The specifics, be they flights, accomodation, tickets etc aren't really relevant though, are they? Given that the process is Government supported, there's every chance that information is on a need to know basis, as I'm unsure a Budget committee would be happy with the club releasing that information.

As for it being a one-off....with it not being announced publicly by the Lions, you could assume that it is EITHER a one-off OR a pilot. If it was a long term plan with various reincarnations planned, the club would have made that announcement.

If you wish more information, good for you - but, for me, it's all pretty obvious. And I don't see it as beneficial to question LI for answers to questions that either (a) aren't relevant right now and (b) otherwise self-evident.

You do, go for it. But, personally, I'd be more inclined to just flick an email to the club, since it's unlikely those questions are going to be addressed on a public forum given the nature of the topic.

TheBrownDog has clarified my direction of questioning.

I was simply asking, “was it necessary for QLD Tourism/QLD government to pay for Eddy and co’s trip up the QLD, as Eddy said in the tweet that started this whole conversation, to secure the Collingwood game?”.

if you want to discuss further move it to the discussion thread. You're all big people and capable of finding it. This thread is for questions and answers only. I'm going to just start deleting things going forward, people can do their own work to post in the right thread.

The obvious question is; why aren't Victorian Lions Members being offered whatever concessions Pies supporters are?

As Vic members we're granted general admission to 5 games at the Gabba, so I'd say it boils down to a potential minor loss of ticket revenue..

The specifics, be they flights, accommodation, tickets etc are very relevant & should be disclosed like all government spending. What is it, part of the black budget, nestled between homeland security, asio & research into anti-gravity propulsion systems...? c'mon

The obvious question is; why aren't Victorian Lions Members being offered whatever concessions Pies supporters are?

As Vic members we're granted general admission to 5 games at the Gabba, so I'd say it boils down to a potential minor loss of ticket revenue..

The specifics, be they flights, accommodation, tickets etc are very relevant & should be disclosed like all government spending. What is it, part of the black budget, nestled between homeland security, asio & research into anti-gravity propulsion systems...? c'mon

If you want to details I suggest you contact the tourism Qld head office

Not sure if Lions_Insider can help and I know a call to the members dept possibly could help but I have 2 adult tickets and 2 kids tickets all in GA. Can I upgrade a kids ticket to adults as my family wont be attending.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Hi Lions_Insider can you clarify the AFLW draft rules for players who nominate QLD for me please.

Will the Lions be able to draft girls, regardless of the academy they come through?

And what length contract will the draftees sign.

Lions_Insider - when will the new Lions New Era caps / beanies designed by Bundy, Basti and Lewy be available to purchase via the online shop? Couldn't find them a short time ago following watching this great initiative:

Hi Li, Just wondering if we will be saying anything about the umpiring of last nights game.Especially the ball hitting the padding and being awarded even with the review of every goal.We seem to be getting the rough end of the pineapple repeatedly.Cheers

Hi Li, Just wondering if we will be saying anything about the umpiring of last nights game.Especially the ball hitting the padding and being awarded even with the review of every goal.We seem to be getting the rough end of the pineapple repeatedly.Cheers
Agree.

The umpiring, particularly the first half was shocking, and looked to favour Collingwood with many highly dubious decisions.

So much so, I had some Poms sat behind me attending their first game, and they continually commented that the umpiring clearly favoured Collingwood and it was worse than the English Premier leagues umpires favouring the home team.

Hi Lions_Insider, how does the virtual lion membership work? Do I have to pay for the AFL live pass as well as the membership?
https://membership.lions.com.au/2019-virtual-lion

Here's what you get, including live pass:

• Membership Kit including card, lanyard, pin, sticker, fixture magnet and $15 Lions Shop voucher
  • Stream every AFL game LIVE, including the 2019 Toyota AFL Finals & Grand Final, to your tablet or mobile device
  • Access AFLTV 24 Hour Channel including Highlights Video and Press conferences
  • Watch full match replays on demand
  • Member exclusive communication
  • Exclusive 10% members discount for Lions Shop

Afl umpires probably make more decisions than any other code umpires in Australia.

What professional development do they get? I know they have their own pathways and reviews but eg our coaches do end of year trips to other codes outside Afl to bring in fresh ideas and new perspectives. Do the umpires get that opportunity as well? Do they have training camps with all (not just the leaders) the umpires getting together like the player camps?
Probably better off asking AFL_Insider about that.

https://membership.lions.com.au/2019-virtual-lion

Here's what you get, including live pass:

• Membership Kit including card, lanyard, pin, sticker, fixture magnet and $15 Lions Shop voucher
  • Stream every AFL game LIVE, including the 2019 Toyota AFL Finals & Grand Final, to your tablet or mobile device
  • Access AFLTV 24 Hour Channel including Highlights Video and Press conferences
  • Watch full match replays on demand
  • Member exclusive communication
  • Exclusive 10% members discount for Lions Shop

I've signed up and paid for the membership, does that mean I now have an AFL live pass? Do I now just make a Telstra ID and I'm done?

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Remove this Banner Ad

Back