Rolling Ashes Squad Thread, now featuring Haddin XII v Hick XII beginning p. 147

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yeah I think its a good idea.....heaps of cricket to go before then....players could get injured lose form

smart

Also doesn’t give England a month to know what team we are picking

Pattinson is the big query. I recon they will take him to the A tour and then if he gets through that he'll be a late inclusion to the squad.

Dont they have a policy of being able to pick players from outside the squad if they are playing county cricket? Pattinson was extremely good for Nottingham last year.

Dont they have a policy of being able to pick players from outside the squad if they are playing county cricket? Pattinson was extremely good for Nottingham last year.

They will want him to show continuity in some way shape or form. A tour or County cricket either one.

Remember the series is in England where Siddle has a fantastic record. I think they will pick Siddle.
I said this when he got a shock recall last summer.
Said it was with an eye to the Ashes.

He should tour IMO.
Horses for courses.

I said this when he got a shock recall last summer.
Said it was with an eye to the Ashes.

He should tour IMO.
Horses for courses.

Yep plus in England it's not about speed, line and length is everything. The best test we played in the last Ashes series over there was when Siddle played.

Is hard to say where exactly Siddle would fit in to an XI (ie. play him from the first test or just strategically through the series?), but think he does need to be included along with Richardson among the five pacemen in the squad because of the variety he offers to the rest of them. Langer recognises this I am pretty sure going on his support for him. 4-for overnight on a first day The Oval wicket.

Bancroft a meticulous 33 off 150 (by sound of the wicket & conditions it was a warranted knock, although hard to understand much from the remarkably self indulgent knob who wrote the cricinfo report). Ton for Labuschagne - hard to infer quality of knock given Glamrogan ended up 4/433. For the English, Anderson and Broad were in the wickets as would be expected and Root & Ballance dominant with the bat again.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Given Starc, Cummins, Hazlewood and Richardson will all be in the World Cup squad, it will give Pattinson and Siddle plenty of chance in the A tour to impress

According to Fox Soorts, Wade is in the A squad
I don't understand why we can't just add 1 more to the ssquad number if it really tight between 2 people

I don't understand why we can't just add 1 more to the ssquad number if it really tight between 2 people

No reason they can't, even one of the quicks mentioned that due to the schedule for the Ashes, its very likely there will be a bit of rotation between the quicks so they might take an extra one in case. But I'd be playing Patto in the first test if he is fit, by that time he'll have been playing for 6 months, if that isn't enough what is? Cummins probably played 1 game and was rushed back in!

This is what I'd do, I think. Would love to find a spot for Maxy?

XI:
Warner
Harris
Khawaja
Smith
Head
Patterson
Paine
Pattinson
Cummins
Starc
Lyon

Squad:
Burns
Wade
Holland
Richardson
Hazlewood
Siddle

Why can't it be like International Cricket Captain, where you select a squad of 18 for away Test series? ;)

You technically will as there are 5-6 playing County cricket

You technically will as there are 5-6 playing County cricket

And if Kristof's squad of 17 is right and you can still call these 5 or 6 players up at any time.I still would have Maxwell in front of Burns,Patterson and Head at this stage but a lot depends on what he does at Lancashire in his limited opportunities there.NOT a good start with the bat but his bowling performance surprised me and if the test match pitch is more suited to spin could be good support to Lyon.And lets not forget his fielding.

In general, yes. But at Cardiff or The Oval? I don't think it's so cut and dried.

Yeh that Cardiff pitch was a joke. Imagine going in to your second innings 200 behind after declaring at 5/550 odd..

A lot of really good batting pitches atm which is strange

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back