Preview Round 4 - Changes/Prematch Discussion vs Adelaide Crows

Status
Not open for further replies.
How are we possibly complaining about these changes????

Scott has been good, showing great signs, but you are all pleading for Ahern, so what do you want? You can't have your cake and eat it to. You are essentially saying we should drop Simpkin instead but they play different roles. Bailey also could benefit from a rest, EVERY team in the league rests their young players.
The only other option is to drop LDU. Yeah, nah, don't think we would like that either.
Wood comes in because we are extracting the urine if we reckon Campbell is solving anything. Jed for Tyson is ideal, Dom is unlucky but he was brought in to the club as depth. Mckay coming out is purely to suit the opposition. Jenkins and Walker aren't contested marking forwards, he would get exploited for speed.

This team that we have fielded is good, very good. It just needs to CLICK. Imagine if we put together that first quarter from last week for a whole game! All we have done since then is upgrade our 22 with the inclusions. This team is just having teething issues, the tools are there, back them in.

And to those who are actually deciding that they will actively not go to the game on Saturday, pull your head in. That doesn't achieve anything. You don't abandon the club when they need you. That's weak. You reckon we will get to keep the Good Friday game if our fans aren't showing up? If we want the players to show some heart, then we need to do it with them! Get to Marvel if you can!

Go Roos
Thanks Brad. You should pop in here more often.

Ok so who comes in for Lmac?

Nobody. I don't think we need to get rid of both and Lmac has not been as harmful to us as Jmac while still offering a solid contest. Moving one of them cleans up the balance down there enough for one week IMO.

kelman

Club Legend
Apr 18, 2002
Arden Street
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Kangaroos
I expected at least one of the under-performing senior players (Macmillan, McDonald, Atley, Turner) to be dropped, rather than four new players. I also expected Larkey's VFL form to be rewarded, rather than dropping Wood and then bringing him back in despite the fact he's barely played since. I think "resting" Scott is a complete cop-out too. I agree McKay probably needs a week or two in the VFL to take a few grabs and get his confidence back. Not sure Zurhaar has done enough.

I would have done the following:

Out: Campbell, Macmillan,Turner, McKay
In: Larkey, Murphy, Ahern, Anderson

Simpkin and Ziebell purely forward, Murphy in the role Macmillan has been playing across half back, Atley stays in and is given a lock-down role on Betts.
You left McDonald in. You reward mediocrity.

We're 0-3, we should fully commit to playing the kids. As many as we can as often as we can.

No, when you're 0-3, the priority for me is to get a win and kick start the season. Looking at the fixture, if we managed to extract the digit, we could easily be 6:7 at the bye with the season still alive. North isn't the club to put the cue into the rack at 0:3. We won the flag 20 years ago from 1-3 after round 4 FFS.
We have the players to win more games than we lose that's for sure. What's happened so far has been a combination of poor preparation and planning by the coaching staff, limited preseason to key players, and a bunch of new blokes coming in without the coaches getting the balance right. I back us to turn it around if we can win the next two (which are more than winnable), anything is possible.

When was the last time we had 4 indigenous players in the team? I’m struggling to think back that far.
That may be so but what's missing (and don't get it the wrong way) is some magic that has often been the trademark of indigenous players. The 4 we have now are different type of players. Jed is a hard nut, Simpkin is hard to see what he is at the moment, Ahern is some midfield class and Thomas is just potential. What I'd like to see is pure silk and magic up forward. We haven't recruited that type of player for a long time.

No, when you're 0-3, the priority for me is to get a win and kick start the season. Looking at the fixture, if we managed to extract the digit, we could easily be 6:7 at the bye with the season still alive. North isn't the club to put the cue into the rack at 0:3. We won the flag 20 years ago from 1-3 after round 4 FFS.
We have the players to win more games than we lose that's for sure. What's happened so far has been a combination of poor preparation and planning by the coaching staff, limited preseason to key players, and a bunch of new blokes coming in without the coaches getting the balance right. I back us to turn it around if we can win the next two (which are more than winnable), anything is possible.

Agree with a lot of this. The glaring problem, which hasn't been addressed (ever), relates to the coaches not getting the balance right. As long as there are players considered automatic selections, then you never get the right balance if these players are stinking it up. I'm referring, of course, to Macmillan, McDonald, Atley and perhaps, Turner. All worthy of a spot in the 22 when in form, but all hurting the team with continued underperformance.

Never have Brad's words been so cheap and cynically deceptive than the recent speak of conducting a "forensic review". Even the most superficial of forensic reviews would have highlighted the damage done by these players' sub-AFL performances. There is simply no point in conducting a forensic review if you were never going to act upon its findings.

Aug 24, 2006
THE BIG V
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Roo4Life Member
can Goldstein do to Reilly Obrien what max gawn did to callum sinclair last night - 73 hit outs to 13.... that would be a good start

I simply do not have the faith that you do that we can achieve anything but a mid table finish from here.

Jun 9, 2001
Fogarty Street
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
St Johnstone
can Goldstein do to Reilly Obrien what max gawn did to callum sinclair last night - 73 hit outs to 13.... that would be a good start

There was a time I was angry that Goldstein was being undersold in comparisons with Max Gawn.

Times have changed.

Thewlis Dish

Cancelled
10k Posts
Sep 9, 2003
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
FGR
You left McDonald in. You reward mediocrity.

I think McDonald can play a defensive role - it's just about discipline with him, and keeping his disposal and decision-making simple. No doubt he has lived a charmed selection life but without Williams and EVW available it's difficult to drop both he and Macmillan.

We don't have enough depth to drop every out of form player but we could at least drop one or two of the incumbents.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back