Winx is a Goat

Remove this Banner Ad

Let us begin our confessions with the day I backed Entirely Platinum to beat her in an Epsom (looking back he was slaughtered by Berry and should have won easily)

He was placed once more at a subsequent 11 starts (3rd to Miss Rose De Lago and Jacquinot Bay) and she has fallen in for another 28 wins

Still believe it was a good bet........

First in the streak, the SC Guineas sticks in my mind all these years later. Crap field, lower class but what she did was actually physically impossible

Followed racing since being on track to watch Bonecrusher and OWS, she's the best I've ever seen and ever will see.

As with the best of the best in any arena there is never an excuse. Wet / dry / leader bias / swooper bias / half fit / unsuitable distance / international raiders / locals / bad run in transit. She just wins.

Heading up on the weekend to see her live for the first time.

Disappointments - Would have loved her and BC to have crossed over and raced around 1400-ish. Would have been nice to see her in Dubai / Europe a couple of yrs ago at the peak of her powers but I understand the argument against it and the 4 CP legacy.

Winx is good but her trainer / owners being s**t scared to take her out of her comfort zone have tarnished her legacy

Is her comfort zone pretty much every good race we have in Australian against all the good horses we have between 1400m and 2000m? In that case - yes - rarely raced outside her comfort zone.

Is her comfort zone pretty much every good race we have in Australian against all the good horses we have between 1400m and 2000m? In that case - yes - rarely raced outside her comfort zone.

Belted a couple of donkeys in home conditions only. Never travelled. Didn’t have a crack at a cup. Didn’t take on any overseas stars

She smashed Highland Reel.

She’s been brilliant and an equine athlete we won’t see again

Snow Fairy is the only mare I can recall who traveled extensively.

It’s been a pleasure to enjoy the journey with Debbie.

Belted a couple of donkeys in home conditions only. Never travelled. Didn’t have a crack at a cup. Didn’t take on any overseas stars

Except for Highland Reel right who won multiple G1s around the world?

And by donkeys you mean the 40+ individual G1 winners she has beaten right?

Dodged Everest, Dodged All Star Mile, Dodged Caulfield and Melb Cups. Ton more respect for a SYT who ran in a Cup when clearly not trained for it, BC who went overseas and Phar Lap who gave horses about 20kgs over 2mile.

I reckon we could spend all day debating what she didn't do, rather than enjoying what she did do.

May as well say Black Caviar never tackled a Melbourne Cup either if you want to look for holes. Thing is, both her and Winx are superstars that we may never see the likes of again in our lifetime. I'm happy to be able to say I saw both through their careers rather than griping about what they didn't do.

I reckon we could spend all day debating what she didn't do, rather than enjoying what she did do.

May as well say Black Caviar never tackled a Melbourne Cup either if you want to look for holes. Thing is, both her and Winx are superstars that we may never see the likes of again in our lifetime. I'm happy to be able to say I saw both through their careers rather than griping about what they didn't do.

To be fair I don't rate Usain Bolt as he has never got close in an Olympic marathon #squib

(Log in to remove this ad.)

No knock on Winx but there is no denying the connections were piss weak and afraid to risk losing. Far too concerned with keeping a winning streak intact. The fact probably our greatest horse ever never set foot in another country is a huge disappointment

It is obviously a disappointment but saying connections were piss weak and afraid of losing is the type of hyperbole I'd expect from the flogs on here who have NFI about the game Jug.... be better.

The GOAT never stepped foot outside of England.

Apart from not going OS they have turned up for every big race they possibly could including running her in a Doncaster. Name another time they were 'afraid to risk losing'....I'll wait

It is obviously a disappointment but saying connections were piss weak and afraid of losing is the type of hyperbole I'd expect from the flogs on here who have NFI about the game Jug.... be better.

Apart from not going OS they have turned up for every big race they possibly could including running her in a Doncaster. Name another time they were 'afraid to risk losing'....I'll wait

They were piss weak. Followed the same prep season after season, had the best horse in the world and never left their own backyard out of risk of losing, constantly reminded us about her winning streak, considered scratching her on a heavy track - which is now laughable in retrospect.

Of course they ran her in every big race here but when you have the best miler/middle distance horse in the world only ever running her against our trash is a joke. We will never see one like her again so take on the best. It would be like Mystic Journey never leaving Tassie and winning all their big races against C graders rather than traveling to Victoria to take on the best.

and yes Frankel never leaving England is disappointing too but at least that's where most of the best middle distance horses race

Except for Highland Reel right who won multiple G1s around the world?

And by donkeys you mean the 40+ individual G1 winners she has beaten right?

Highland reel she faced once and he was first up on a tight track which would be firmer than anything he had stepped foot on before. Would have liked to see her do that at royal ascot or Dubai World Cup night.

Sensational horse and the second best I’ve seen in the flesh but connections and trainer are complete squibs

They were piss weak. Followed the same prep season after season, had the best horse in the world and never left their own backyard out of risk of losing, constantly reminded us about her winning streak, considered scratching her on a heavy track - which is now laughable in retrospect.

Of course they ran her in every big race here but when you have the best miler/middle distance horse in the world only ever running her against our trash is a joke. We will never see one like her again so take on the best. It would be like Mystic Journey never leaving Tassie and winning all their big races against C graders rather than traveling to Victoria to take on the best.

and yes Frankel never leaving England is disappointing too but at least that's where most of the best middle distance horses race

Considered scratching her - DIDN'T. They raced in the same races each prep because THEY WERE THE BEST RACES EVERY SINGLE TIME.

What did you want her to do? Win a Waterford Crystal Mile carrying 72kg?

The MJ comment is laughable and I'd expect someone like Heaths to come up with it - it's not the same because the best races in Australia aren't in Tassie. Winx raced in the best races in Australia PRETTY MUCH EVERY SINGLE START OF THE STREAK.

I am disappointed in you Jug...very disappointed.

Highland reel she faced once and he was first up on a tight track which would be firmer than anything he had stepped foot on before. Would have liked to see her do that at royal ascot or Dubai World Cup night.

Sensational horse and the second best I’ve seen in the flesh but connections and trainer are complete squibs

Lol using first up as an excuse for international horses in Australia proves you have no clue - go away.

Considered scratching her - DIDN'T. They raced in the same races each prep because THEY WERE THE BEST RACES EVERY SINGLE TIME.

What did you want her to do? Win a Waterford Crystal Mile carrying 72kg?

The MJ comment is laughable and I'd expect someone like Heaths to come up with it - it's not the same because the best races in Australia aren't in Tassie. Winx raced in the best races in Australia PRETTY MUCH EVERY SINGLE START OF THE STREAK.

I am disappointed in you Jug...very disappointed.

Yeah she is racing in the best races here, which are a long way off the best races in the world. Taking on the best in Australia isn't enough when you have a horse like this

Yeah she is racing in the best races here, which are a long way off the best races in the world. Taking on the best in Australia isn't enough when you have a horse like this

Fair enough to be disappointed on that level but you have to face the facts Australian floggos are super reluctant to travel. Can't downgrade the horse at all for that though.

Given how precious the owners get when someone criticised her they will regret not travelling her. She was to be the true measuring stick for Australian middle distance racing and we never got it. You can try quantify it all you want but the proof is in the pudding and she never even tried.

She could have increased the entire worlds impression of Australian racing which not many horses could do, but instead she stayed at home doing nothing for the nay sayers.

Phar Lap gave 20kgs to horses over 2mile, what was so scary with carrying like 60-62kg in a Doncaster?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back