Women's Footy AFLW Crows in 2019

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't think anyone is asking for permission to make threads. The point is, anything other than the main AFLW thread is likely to get lost in the shuffle of the men's season. Then, interesting discussion points can get buried in this megathread.

Personally I'd be in favour of an AFLW subforum, but it's no disaster if we don't have one. I do agree that if we don't get one, then this thread should be stickied.

I don't think anyone is asking for permission to make threads. The point is, anything other than the main AFLW thread is likely to get lost in the shuffle of the men's season. Then, interesting discussion points can get buried in this megathread.

Personally I'd be in favour of an AFLW subforum, but it's no disaster if we don't have one. I do agree that if we don't get one, then this thread should be stickied.
Stickying this thread is probably enough until there is enough discussion/traffic to warrant an entire sub-forum IMO.

Check the responses out. No wonder mental health is such an issue for athletes.
They've read about it ...heard about the cases of self harm and suicides ....and yet muppetts still don't care

And these Reality Shows & the producers that orchestrate the s**t for ratings ....only propogates this social media crap

Check the responses out. No wonder mental health is such an issue for athletes.

I had to laugh at the guy who claimed that women should only be paid 19% of the men's wages (arguing pro rata in terms of number of games and game length, as if the women actually want fewer games), only for Darcy to immediately point out that they're actually paid roughly 5% of what the men are paid.

I agree, hard to question a player's loyalty. As shattered as I would have been if Chelsea had decided to head west, nobody could have blamed her. Nobody got upset at Kellie Gibson for leaving after one season, either. It's a damn hard ask to expect people to demonstrate loyalty when they're being paid pocket change and expected to put their actual careers on hold or take months of unpaid leave.

So who out of our list would people be looking to poach? I'd imagine Tex Perkins would be an easy get this year.

Obviously any of our best 21 are good targets. But hopefully most of them will want to stick around. There has been talking of Melbourne clubs targeting Ponter since she played in the VFLW for a little while. Any of our young stars like Eloise Jones, Sarah Allan, Anne Hatchard, Ebony Marinoff etc will obviously be targeted but since money can't be used as much of a lure, it would be a hard sell. Perhaps they could be enticed by being made a higher tier player, and also the allure of going to one of the big cities.

Outside of the best 21, Perkins is an obvious target. From Melbourne, good for a club that needs a marking forward. If she can have an injury-free preseason and build her fitness up, she is still a chance to be a decent AFLW player.

Sally Riley is probably our most experienced player to not be getting regular games. She has leadership experience having been our vice captain in the past, and is originally from Victoria, only moving to NT in 2013. She would have to be thinking of finding a new home where she can get a regular gig.

I wonder if a club will throw some cash at one of our rucks, given the emergence of Jess Foley. I wonder what the thinking is inside the Crows camp with regards to Metcalfe. She would have been expecting to have her ruck spot waiting for her when she returns, but Foley is the incumbent and performed very well in that role this year. She might look to head back to NSW where she was born. Hell, maybe a club would try to throw a package deal at both of the Allan sisters to get them to move. Even Maisie Nankivell, who I think performed quite well in her two matches, could be targeted.

Last edited:
Wow the numpties on that Vescio tweet - "just own up and say it was money and spare us the 'fresh start' crap"

I dont see how Richmond can pay her anymore than Bulldogs were

I think that in general Vescio has a good point that applies to many players, but in the case of Brennan specifically I think questioning her loyalty is fair.

Brennan was a Tier 1 player moving to another club in the same city. Due to the AFLW salary cap there is no opportunity for an increased salary. She is not moving to another club in a different location to be better placed for work or family. So then the only remaining reason is she didn't like being at the Dogs which would suggest that she is indeed disloyal to them.

Is it her right to move? Yes. But in doing so she is not being loyal to the Dogs

Can we compromise and do both?

Have matchday and generic thread here
And all others in sub forum?

I understand that smaller threads will Be buried
But hiding everything can hinder the casual fans noticing

I’d like the middle ground
Sounds messy, but I think would appease most.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I'd think she'd be a monty to go back to Vic. I still reckon she'll get fitter and be a good player.

Agreed. She's got serious footy smarts, brilliant hands, and can reliably kick 50m. If she can get her fitness up and fit into a team structure, she'll be a quality AFLW player.

Dana Hooker moves to West Coast one of Fremantle's top 3 players.... All im seeing is all other teams get weaker as the talent is spread, We would still be odds on favourite to win the flag again even if Philips doesn't return.

Dana Hooker moves to West Coast one of Fremantle's top 3 players.... All im seeing is all other teams get weaker as the talent is spread, We would still be odds on favourite to win the flag again even if Philips doesn't return.
As bloody good as Phillips is, if you look at the GF game, plenty of passages of play that led to a goal did not involve her.
(Even if you halve our score it was still a belting!)

Didn’t really see that coming, also interesting quotes from Adam Selwood in the article;

Forth had been in discussions with expansion club West Coast about potentially returning to her home state.

But Eagles head of women’s football, Adam Selwood, said those talks determined that the best place for Forth was in Adelaide with the Crows.

“We have known Renee for a long time and we’ve got a really good relationship with her and she’s at a wonderful club in the Crows who we respect really highly,” Selwood said.

“With what she’s gone through this year, winning a premiership and the challenge of being at GWS and moving across, collectively, all of us have had conversations … and we think we best spot or position with her career is to be with the Crows for at least another 12 months.”

Will be interesting to see what role she plays next year as this season they rotated her through the middle a bit early on where her experience and poise was really valuable but later in the season when others stepped up they kept her as a permanent half-forward, still think they could get a lot more output from her even at 32.

Didn’t really see that coming, also interesting quotes from Adam Selwood in the article;

I took your word on her going, and with there had been sone media talk of her returning home too - so it was a surprise to be the first story I had when I next opened twitter.

I did think her role had been covered well, didn't notice her too often in games.

Notice there are too many clubs in Victoria again. But because the AFLW didn't begin as a Vic league with Vic structures that favour Victoria, their arses are burnt, not ours.

They will change those structures in time, because the campaigner organisation behind it is Victorian, and we'll be bankrolling the success of about 4 Victorian clubs that should not exist, because Victoria.

I'd like also to point out how tokenistic Collingwood's execution of an AFLW team has been. Slapdash, no attention to detail. If these people were elite operators, every aspect of their s**t would have been elite - because elite people have elite habits, they can't help but be elite.

If you think we're struggling in the men's league because of our people, you are wrong.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back