The off topic thread 4.0

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Job interview tomorrow, going to be tricky balancing that with packing for Europe, exciting times!
Settle down, cruyff.

I've got no interest in Marvel characters at all. But I do get what people are saying about how much better they do their movies compared to DC

Unashamedly DC. Not even a decision I need to contemplate.

Current movies, Marvel have nailed their depictions. Have read approx 90% of DC’s comics, am less familiar with Marvel’s catalog (I’d say it’d be in the ~60% range).

Overall though, Batman Begins and the original Superman are unrivalled in my opinion across any genre or universe adaptation.

I'm by no means a superhero movies fan but there's just something about the Marvel hereos/characters that doesn't want me to go watch them

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I'm by no means a superhero movies fan but there's just something about the Marvel hereos/characters that doesn't want me to go watch them
I think most people who aren’t fans don’t go to watch them JD. Sort of common logic. Unless you have to take your kids or something

I think most people who aren’t fans don’t go to watch them JD. Sort of common logic. Unless you have to take your kids or something
I wouldn’t say I’m a DC fan either but the characters just have a lure than someone like an Ant Man, Deadpool, Captain America or Iron Man do

Zoom Fwoy

What do you guys think on Israel Folau being sacked for his tweet regarding gays?

You probably know I’m an advocate for free speech and believe everyone is entitled to an opinion, but personally feel he crossed a line. Because of their religious upbringing, I understand (but don’t condone) why some people have that view of homosexuality though.

Zoom Fwoy

What do you guys think on Israel Folau being sacked for his tweet regarding gays?

You probably know I’m an advocate for free speech and believe everyone is entitled to an opinion, but personally feel he crossed a line. Because of their religious upbringing, I understand (but don’t condone) why some people have that view of homosexuality though.
Personally I'm not religious so I don't agree with what he has said but at the same time I don't think he should be sacked for voicing his religious beliefs. I get they are extreme views but all they are saying that is that in his (warped) religious views the only hope for that list of people to make it heaven and not to hell is through Jesus. He isn't advocating violence to gays, drunks, etc. just that in his mind they are going to hell.

Should he keep his beliefs to himself? Probably. But should he be sacked for it? I'm sure the ARU will have their legal team all over it and make it look like a torn up contract but there'll be some sort of agreement between the two parties where a portion of the $4m is paid out and the two parties make it look like the ARU has sacked him with him losing all his money

Zoom Fwoy

If that’s the way he feels then that’s the way he feels, but he shouldn’t post anything divisive like that on social media. It was dumb.

Bayerns usual transfer tactic back in force.

Personally I'm not religious so I don't agree with what he has said but at the same time I don't think he should be sacked for voicing his religious beliefs. I get they are extreme views but all they are saying that is that in his (warped) religious views the only hope for that list of people to make it heaven and not to hell is through Jesus. He isn't advocating violence to gays, drunks, etc. just that in his mind they are going to hell.

Should he keep his beliefs to himself? Probably. But should he be sacked for it? I'm sure the ARU will have their legal team all over it and make it look like a torn up contract but there'll be some sort of agreement between the two parties where a portion of the $4m is paid out and the two parties make it look like the ARU has sacked him with him losing all his money

Australia doesn’t have Freedom of Speech laws like the US that protect your right to spout whatever garbage thoughts you have.

1000% certain that he will have signed/agreed to some kind of Code of Conduct with the ARU and the comments he made will be argued to have damaged the ARU both socially and financially. For example, if Qantas a known LGBTQ rights supporting company, pulls their sponsorship for the Wallabies as a result of the comments, or if other brands don’t want to associate themselves with the Wallabies due to his attitude.

I’ll be super surprised if he isn’t sacked. And imo he should be.

I think you’ve hit the nail on the head with the question “should he keep his opinions to himself?”. Obviously if he wants a trouble free existence then like Zoom says, yes he should keep quiet. But then doesn’t that impede on his own human rights of being able to express his views openly and freely? The other question is, does what he say amount to hate speech? Hate speech used to be deemed as using speech to actively promote hatred or harm to minority communities. It’s debatable whether his tweet does that.

The problem with Australia Rugby’s reaction to his views (which don’t get me wrong are definitely ill-judged) is if we take extreme measures in dealing with the more extreme opinions in society, then don’t we all end up becoming extreme by nature? Not letting people express their views openly is an even bigger danger to a cohesive society than the warped views some individuals may have. Banning s**t we don’t like is going to create one huge giant pressure cooker scenario which one day will explode

I think you’ve hit the nail on the head with the question “should he keep his opinions to himself?”. Obviously if he wants a trouble free existence then like Zoom says, yes he should keep quiet. But then doesn’t that impede on his own human rights of being able to express his views openly and freely? The other question is, does what he say amount to hate speech? Hate speech used to be deemed as using speech to actively promote hatred or harm to minority communities. It’s debatable whether his tweet does that.

The problem with Australia Rugby’s reaction to his views (which don’t get me wrong are definitely ill-judged) is if we take extreme measures in dealing with the more extreme opinions in society, then don’t we all end up becoming extreme by nature? Not letting people express their views openly is an even bigger danger to a cohesive society than the warped views some individuals may have. Banning s**t we don’t like is going to create one huge giant pressure cooker scenario which one day will explode
He had a clause in his contract apparently not to cause any situations like this through social media etc. so he’s token his contract obligations anyway.
By the sounds of it the ARU have a gag order in his contract which he was happy enough to sign. If that wasn't in there then I don't really think he can be sacked for voicing his religions interpretation of the Bible. But because it's a 2nd offence and that clause got added in then fair enough the ARU have every right to do so and he is sackable for breaking his contract not the religious views.

By the sounds of it the ARU have a gag order in his contract which he was happy enough to sign. If that wasn't in there then I don't really think he can be sacked for voicing his religions interpretation of the Bible. But because it's a 2nd offence and that clause got added in then fair enough the ARU have every right to do so and he is sackable for breaking his contract not the religious views.
I bet that contract is open to interpretation though. He’s probably adamant that he hasn’t broken its code. His religious beliefs must be more important to him than his professional career. Either that or he’s thick as s**t

I bet that contract is open to interpretation though. He’s probably adamant that he hasn’t broken its code. His religious beliefs must be more important to him than his professional career. Either that or he’s thick as s**t
After the last stuff up surely if it was in there they made it clear for him. And like you say he either doesn't care about the game as much as his religion or he is dumb as dogshit. Neither of the two would be surprising. Maybe he already has another contract lined up overseas?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back