The Buddy Deal v The Boyd Deal

Remove this Banner Ad

Stopped reading at no great performance when it mattered - laughable.

Just because they didn't win a flag doesn't mean it wasn't an amazingly good trade for Sydney - not Buddy's fault they went a bit chokey in finals after winning in 2012.

Both the Buddy and Boyd deal are win-win.

Boyd: there is a premiership, first since 1954.
Buddy: while no premierships, Buddy is enormous for Sydney and the AFL from a marketing perspective. Even with no premierships, Buddy's time in Sydney is a clear success. And GWS indirectly benefits by having the AFL market share grown as a result of Buddy's marketability. The Swans need big name stars for grow of fanbase (eg. Lockett, Buddy).

Hard to say. We would have probably made the GF without him based on his impact.

But would we have won the grand final?

Nice subtle troll.

But would of you even made then Grand Final if he didn't miss 13 rounds leading into the end of the year?

He was ******* s**t up until that comeback in a side that won 3 of their first 4 games.

Basically lightning struck, as he's barely been able to produce that single game since, well done.

Glenn Freeborn > Chris Grant in that case.

Buddy by the length of the Flemington straight, then turn out of Flemington. Go down racecourse road. Jump on the train at Newmarket station. Catch it to Flindres street. Then jump on a tram and go to St Kilda beach. Then start swimming south and don't stop until you get to Launceston.

Yeah thats how far

Last edited:
Hard to compare the worth of the trades given the difference in circumstances between the two clubs. Every club in the competition's main aim is obviously to win premierships, but there's more to it then that.

I don't believe we win the prelim, let alone the GF, without Boyd in 2016. Tell me at the time of the trade that he'll cost close to a million per season, offer very little for the vast majority of the long term deal but be a key figure in a drought-breaking premiership - I'd still take that every time. That's not to say the deal has been anywhere near perfect, I'd obviously much rather he gives us the flag and be performing to the level of his pay check, but so be it.

Sydney operates in a completely different market, they are far more reliant on exposure and marketing and Buddy brings exactly that whilst performing at a very high level over the deal (so far). They'd also come off 2 flags in the previous decade. He has been worth his weight in gold for the Swans, minus the flags.

It's a win for both clubs imo, but neither deal has panned out exactly to plan.

Hard to compare the worth of the trades given the difference in circumstances between the two clubs. Every club in the competition's main aim is obviously to win premierships, but there's more to it then that.

I don't believe we win the prelim, let alone the GF, without Boyd in 2016. Tell me at the time of the trade that he'll cost close to a million per season, offer very little for the vast majority of the long term deal but be a key figure in a drought-breaking premiership - I'd still take that every time. That's not to say the deal has been anywhere near perfect, I'd obviously much rather he gives us the flag and be performing to the level of his pay check, but so be it.

Sydney operates in a completely different market, they are far more reliant on exposure and marketing and Buddy brings exactly that whilst performing at a very high level over the deal (so far). They'd also come off 2 flags in the previous decade. He has been worth his weight in gold for the Swans, minus the flags.

It's a win for both clubs imo, but neither deal has panned out exactly to plan.

Sydney didn't trade for Buddy, they got him for nothing through FA.

Boyd cost Ryan Griffen and Caleb Marchbank.

Thread needs a poll.

Buddy is a much better player than Boyd, and has delivered so much more in numerous games for the Swans, compared to what Boyd has done for the Bulldogs.

But the Boyd played the best game of his life in the 2016 GF and was instrumental in them winning the grand final for them.

If Boyd can ever break the high threshold of 1 goal per game, we'll talk.

Ridiculous question.
Buddy is obviously a better player but if the Swans dont win a flag with him then his recruitment would have to be deemed a failure.

The Hawks won 3 flags after letting him go and the Swans greatest issue in the last few years is being to focused on Buddy.

Still most clubs would have taken him given the chance.

Sydney didn't trade for Buddy, they got him for nothing through FA.

Boyd cost Ryan Griffen and Caleb Marchbank.
True, we gave up Griffen and pick 6 for him (no guarantee we were taking Marchbank, I think we would have selected Wright with that pick).

Shouldn't be entirely ignored when assessing the cost of the deal vs Sydney who didn't give up anything but cap space.

No one is talking who has had the better career, the question is which is the better trade. Boyd has had one single good game of his career, while Buddy is one of the all-time greatest. It's a team game however, so what would you pick, a flag or being competitive over 4 years?

This is essentially the question. I think a few are confusing it with who is the better player or who had the better career.

It’s about the value of the deal.

I've said this before in relation to Boyd, but he should be the most popular player in the AFL amongst fans.

Bulldogs fans are thrilled they have him, given he delivered a Premiership in 2016
Opposition fans are thrilled their team doesn't have him, as he's not AFL standard and is getting over a million dollars a year.

On which deal was better value?
Buddy, by the cumulative length of Winx last 32 victories.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The Boyd deal - snag a premiership and become a cult hero.

Buddy came to Sydney to win flags... he's 0/5 currently.....

Not only that.... but the flags were supposed to come in those first few years of that 9 year deal. Bridesmaid twice. Think the ship has sailed.

Buddy came to Sydney to win flags... he's 0/5 currently.....

Did he though? If he wanted more flags he would have stayed at the Hawks, I was under the impression it was just about money, and a bucket load of it.

Pretty handy retirement plan, he gets to do minimal training, runs around on the weekend doing the odd flashy thing but it doesn't really matter as the money is coming regardless of how many goals he kicks (or doesn't kick).

Swans haven't won a flag with Buddy.

Do Bulldogs win the flag against the Swans in 2016 without Boyd? I'm not sure. Buddy is obviously 100x the player Boyd will ever be, but hell I'd pay a lot for a flag.

The question is what is a flag worth? I'd say a hell of a lot. Is it worth one great game for a player that wins you a flag and then is rubbish for years on end? Possibly. As a fan, would you rather watch Buddy for 7 years for 0 flags, or watch Boyd dominate one game that wins you a flag? Flags are very hard to come by...

Yep
ee94bd794a073a8daef98ca26774b7500dfe313a

Crickey!

Buddy is obviously a better player but if the Swans dont win a flag with him then his recruitment would have to be deemed a

I disagree, in 2014 they got smashed and he was easily their best player. In 2016 he rolled his ankle in the first 2 minutes.

Takes more than one player to win a flag.

How bums on seats are the result of Franklin? Merchandise sales etc? That and he has been a very good player his entire time at Sydney.

Boyd was instrumental in 2016 PF and GF but has done bugger all apart from that.

Honestly what a stupid thread.

Boyd's a crap player and Bulldogs wasted a ton of cap space and draft picks that could have been used to turn a good year into a good era.
He's basically only played a handful of good games and we are comparing him to one of the all time great's who routinely puts in match winning performances.

Winning a flag is great but there is no evidence that some other tall couldn't have been recruited and done enough for them to win the flag. Its all just theorycrafting. What we know for sure is that Boyd has been one of the most underwhelming trade recruits on massive dollars the game has ever seen and only 2 good games at the right time of year even give Bulldog supporters a leg (a very spurious one) to stand on.
Two good games is generous.

It's quite depressing that Bulldog fans hang on to the past like this.

It's like the kid in high school who got good grades and was popular for one year. Now their single, living by themselves and earning 30k a year.

Like Boyd's prelim and GF performances, you are a gift to Bulldogs supporters that keeps on giving.
I wouldn't have thought so but if you insist.

And Naah
he was ordinary in the prelim.

This thread is a desperate attempt to discuss the Bulldogs 2016 flag on the MB.

It belongs on the history board.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back