Sylvia Saint

Cancelled
May 20, 2004
Melbourne
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Crusaders
Great to beat Sydney but next week is bigger IMO. Win and we're 2-3 and our season is certainly salvageable (we were 2-3 after 5 rounds in 2017 and 2018 too). Lose and 1-4 looks a lot more ominous.

I'm worried because St. Kilda are precisely the type of mediocre side we could make look invincible on the wide paddocks of the MCG.

I'd be happy to see any of Jetta, Lockhart, Garlett and ANB considered for selection. I also think Petty or Keilty should replace Omac. What does Omac actually bring to the side? He is s**t in the air, barely gets the ball, slow, one-dimensional. Keilty is a bit of a battler type but can play forward and ruck too. I want him in.

Ins. Keilty, Lockhart
Outs. OMac, Spargo

Give the old fossil Jetta another week to get right. He's been terrible this year anyway (probably playing injured).

stEdy

Premiership Player
Nov 2, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
Melbourne
OMac simply has to go, that was Tom Gillies-esque

I'd like to bring Petty in but i'm getting a weird Deja-vu from his debut against the Saints at the G when he was also Tom Gillies-esque

Cannon82

Cancelled
10k Posts Melbourne Poster of the Year Melbourne Demons - Ben Kennedy Player Sponsor 2016 Melbourne Demons - Jeremy Howe Player Sponsor 2015 Melbourne Demons - Dom Barry Sponsor 2014 Melbourne Demons - Jeremy Howe Sponsor 2014
Oct 26, 2012
AFL Club
Melbourne
We should definitely go with a big, slow team when we play the Saints at the MCG. I would pick a team of Preusses if I could.

Apr 13, 2015
AFL Club
Melbourne
If we win the ball at the coal face and link up reasonably well we should win. The danger is if our intensity drops and ball movement is pox we’ll see a similar result to the Essendon game where they whisk the ball from one end to the other at the speed of light.

Key players: Gawn should dominate the centre, he needs to take more marks around the ground though.

Jack Steele will likely sit on one of Oliver or Brayshaw. If he succeeds whoever is not tagged needs to pick up the slack, big time.

Jack Steven is the kind of pacy player that could tear us to shreds - we need to look out for Billings, Parker, Gresham and Kent as well, but Steven is the real danger man for mine through the middle. Wouldn’t mind us trying Viney in a defensive role on him.

Bruce is a good mark so we need our defenders to be organised and not let him get a good jump at the high ball.

Membrey is the sort of player that could kick a bag if they are allowed to run the ball easily from one end to the other. We need to not allow him the space to lead.

As for changes: O Mac is firmly in the gun due to concussion/poor form. Petty is the logical replacement.
Hard to drop anyone else. Possibly Spargo for Lockhart. Jetta and Lewis could push for selection if fit, again not sure who we would drop though.

mrmonkey

Brownlow Medallist
Dec 3, 2010
Melbourne
AFL Club
Melbourne
Not sure what to make of the saints yet. Overall I think they look a bit better this year but it's a small sample. See how they go against Hawthorn. As for Melbourne we need to maintain that pressure and intensity from last night. We aren't out of the woods. Inside 50 dominance without scoring is still an issue but was better last night. Or perhaps more so defending still needs tightening.

Crusty Demon

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 20, 2009
Brighton
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Leeds United
They beat us last year when we were going ok and they stunk. Hogan always beat up on them, so we don't have him anymore. This is another week where we really have to find a way to win or the season is done. We have to beat these teams expected to finish below us. But the Saints won last year by playing on and using their pace against us which clearly works. The worry I have about last night's win, was that it was against a team that plays a similar brand to us, on a ground that suits our style. We have struggled to win on the G because teams who spread well and have pace exploit our weaknesses. And Saints can do that well. Bookies will have us favourites I reckon, but I actually think Saints should be slightly favourites. If we can win the next two weeks against fast teams who spread well on the G, then I'll start to believe, until then I still think it's going to be a long season.

Nov 20, 2008
#freeMelbourne #SackDan
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
The Super Saiyans, Tasmania Devils
Out: O.McDonald, J.Wagner

In: Lewis, Jetta
1555067484419.png

You Rang?

pjfairbairn

AFL Premiership Supporter, 2021
Feb 21, 2011
Brisbane
AFL Club
Melbourne
Out: O.McDonald, J.Wagner

In: Lewis, Jetta

Didn't mind Josh Wagner's game TBH. And we'd be too short doing this.

Out: OMac, Spargo, Stretch
In: Lewis, Jetta, Keilty

Starting to worry about one of my favourites, Hibbo, a little...

Crusty Demon

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 20, 2009
Brighton
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Leeds United
Didn't mind Josh Wagner's game TBH. And we'd be too short doing this.

Out: OMac, Spargo, Stretch
In: Lewis, Jetta, Keilty

Starting to worry about one of my favourites, Hibbo, a little...
You've got three defenders coming in for 1 defender, a small forward and a winger. Not sure these changes will work? I think you'll find Jetta if fit will replace Wagner or Hore. Hore played well so I'm guessing Wagner will be the unlucky one. I'm not sure OMac will be dropped, but if he is concussed, then either May(if fit) or Keilty(would love to see him get a go) would be his replacement. Lockhart or Jeffy would replace Spargo you'd think if Spargo were to be replaced. With Hore playing well, we might find Lewis when fit play a different role? Or Salem moves into the midfield more? I like Salem kicking out from behinds. Doesn't mean he has to be playing defence to do that, but with the new rules, having a highly skilled attacking player doing the kick ins is vital..

Topkent

Confirmed ITK Drafting King
Aug 29, 2010
Canada
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Winnipeg Jets
You've got three defenders coming in for 1 defender, a small forward and a winger. Not sure these changes will work? I think you'll find Jetta if fit will replace Wagner or Hore. Hore played well so I'm guessing Wagner will be the unlucky one. I'm not sure OMac will be dropped, but if he is concussed, then either May(if fit) or Keilty(would love to see him get a go) would be his replacement. Lockhart or Jeffy would replace Spargo you'd think if Spargo were to be replaced. With Hore playing well, we might find Lewis when fit play a different role? Or Salem moves into the midfield more? I like Salem kicking out from behinds. Doesn't mean he has to be playing defence to do that, but with the new rules, having a highly skilled attacking player doing the kick ins is vital..

It absoloutely means he has to play in defence or else we will be way too low setting up kick ins which will allow the saints to zone up. Fritsch looked good doing the kick ins aswell

Crusty Demon

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 20, 2009
Brighton
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Leeds United
It absoloutely means he has to play in defence or else we will be way too low setting up kick ins which will allow the saints to zone up. Fritsch looked good doing the kick ins aswell
Fritsch is one of the best kicks I've seen in the red and blue. Alternate Salem and Fritsch from defence to wing(which i think we've been doing anyway). So where does Lewis play? Hibberd, Frost, Jetta, Hore, May, Fritsch/Salem as our potential back 6 next week or two? With the 6-6-6 set up, where does Lewis start??

I'm guessing he replaces C.Wagner in the side? So he alternates between back flank/forward flank?

Last edited:
May 3, 2014
AFL Club
Melbourne
Jetta has been awful but has runs on the board so I guess he can reluctantly replace Wagner (Although it wouldn't bother me if they gave him an extra week to get right) & Omac has to be dropped for either Kielty or Petty. Two changes defensively is more than enough. Making wholesale changes when the side finally had a good night in defense is asking for trouble. That means I'd be asking Lewis to come back via Casey & Hore can stay in the team. He's hardly an automatic inclusion anymore. He would be underdone & he is already slow enough.
Lastly I'd replace Spargo with Lockhart.

dylan93

Club Legend
Mar 16, 2011
Melbourne
AFL Club
Melbourne
Out: O. McDonald (injured/rubbish), Stretch (omitted), Spargo

In: Lewis, Jetta, Lockhart.

Although if one of Lewis and Jetta need another week than fair enough. Spargo can have a reprieve. First two need a run in the magoos though.

blitznu

Premiership Player
Jan 6, 2013
AFL Club
Melbourne
People need to remember the 4 day break between our next 2 games. so i reckon Jetta might get another week off and Lewis could be the same and both come in cherry ripe for richmond. I wouldnt be making many changes this week give Stretch and Spargo another week maybe rest Viney and give OMac a spell
Out Viney(rested), OMac (concussion)
In Garlett, Keilty.
Week after bring back Jetta, Lewis and Viney for maybe JWag, Hore and Stretch or Spargo. May gets the extra week off which allows Keilty to have a couple games experience

Apr 18, 2005
AFL Club
Melbourne
Out: O. McDonald (injured/rubbish), Stretch (omitted), Spargo

In: Lewis, Jetta, Lockhart.

Although if one of Lewis and Jetta need another week than fair enough. Spargo can have a reprieve. First two need a run in the magoos though.
You can’t ditch Stretch. No way after a week. He wasn’t great but wasn’t bad. St Kilda is the perfect team to play. We need his pace if anything.

Changes would be;
Out - O McDonald
In - Petty

Just one. I am not sure if Lewis & Jetta are ready.

Tactics are pretty straight forward given our record against St Kilda. We get totally ruined for pace so need something in the backline to help us move it out, Frost. I really would just like the big guy to zone off where applicable and run and carry. We’ve got to keep Hunt and Stretch around the wings and I’d like Hunt streaming down to half forward looking to score.

Gresham will need a genuine stopper, so Hibberd and Fritsch need to keep a check on him. Bruce is mobile and a good match for Frost. Petty on Membrey (hopefully he has improved since last year). Membrey is another rangy type so it’d be good to have Gawn or Preuss getting in his way.

B - Hibberd Petty Salem
HB - Fritsch Frost J Wagner
C - Hunt Oliver Stretch
HF - Petracca Weidemann Harmes
F - Jones TMac Melksham
R - Gawn Brayshaw Viney
I/C Spargo C Wagner Preuss Hore

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back