Preview Round 4, 2019: St.Kilda v Hawthorn - Marvel Stadium, Sunday 14th April, 3:20PM AEST *BLUE RIBBON CUP*

Who Wins?

• Saints

Votes: 57 69.5%
  • Hawks

Votes: 25 30.5%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Gland they are not making to many changes - one or 2 at the most.
At least they are giving the guys who are not setting the world on fire a chance and we can afford to because we have won 2 out of 3.
However this game is a must win so they we have to dismantle Fremantle or we could see a few more changes.
Our last game I was disappointed in the forward line , we need goals and having forwards like Kent , Parker , Lonie , Membery and Bruce they have to be kicking goals.
Young , Long , Langlands or Paton will surely come in if Parker and Kent don't have standout games.
Apart from these moves we will just have to see how the guys at Sandy go , Hind will be in the team soon enough due to players form or injury.
I feel Marsh could make a big impact for us once he is match fit.
But at this stage let's just let us make small changes to allow the team to gel.
Last weeks game was there to be taken and we blew it , this week Hawthorn has to be beaten if not it is a huge fail.
These teams we have to beat - Suns , Blues , Dogs , Swans , Port , Hawks , Dockers , Lions , Bombers , North
We play a couple teams twice but these are the 10 teams we have to beat and we have already lost one of them we should be able to pluck a game against some of the bigger teams but we have to win against the lesser teams.

Jack Steven, Brown and Geary(quad) all partaking in main session

Solid 30m on f50 work
Good to hear. Really hoping Steven gets up this week. Our next 3 games are tough but all winnable and then we run into 3 really hard ones after that so we need to make the most of this run.

Good to hear Brown and Geary are likely right. Hawthorn have a strong and experienced forward line and having either of those two miss would hurt for sure.

Same goes for dunstan 14 kicks and Blake 5.

Flip that s**t on its head please....

We have the wrong people kicking the footy, happened a lot last year too.
Maybe Acres should get his own ball like Dunstan.
Built like Tarzan.....

Play him in the middle and he would.
Bit tough as the fwd pocket.
Dunstan is our inside mid and he's the worst in the AFL at it. Why not try something different...
It’s pretty obvious that he should be in middle not a forward pocket just maybe we wouldn’t lose centre clearances 16 - 5 If it’s not working doesn’t hurt to try something different

It’s pretty obvious that he should be in middle not a forward pocket just maybe we wouldn’t lose centre clearances 16 - 5 If it’s not working doesn’t hurt to try something different

I love Acres but I’ve never seen him as the inside mid type. He’s built, yes, but he’s rarely quick to get a ground ball, doesn’t have great recovery or second efforts, and has a short field kick that leaves a bit to be desired.

His best position is wing or HFF for me. And I’m pretty sure the coaches who work with him in multiple weekly sessions are in a good position to see if he’d be a good fit in the guts, and thy gone with Dunstan instead. To that says more about Blake not being right for that position than the idea that all of our coaches are somehow wrong.

I love Acres but I’ve never seen him as the inside mid type. He’s built, yes, but he’s rarely quick to get a ground ball, doesn’t have great recovery or second efforts, and has a short field kick that leaves a bit to be desired.

His best position is wing or HFF for me. And I’m pretty sure the coaches who work with him in multiple weekly sessions are in a good position to see if he’d be a good fit in the guts, and thy gone with Dunstan instead. To that says more about Blake not being right for that position than the idea that all of our coaches are somehow wrong.

Whereas Dunstan is quick to a ground ball, has great recovery and second efforts, while being a long and penetrating field kick. I mean, Dunny can't even handball properly.

I think The Cho plays Dunny as a mid in the hope that he'll one day improve to the level of mediocre.

The same coaches that watched billings struggle as a forward for how long before realising he might be a decent winger?

I think it's the Dunstan conundrum. He's the best congested player per minute played. Unfortunately he has a low TOG and he isn't versatile. Yet they feel the need to play him even with his glaringly obvious limitations. That leads to more versatile players not being played in their ideal positions. Its a lack of creativity off the ground which leads to a lack of creativity on the ground.

Its his 1st game back in and while he didnt set the world on fire, didnt have a mare either. I dont like dropping players 1 game in. Give him a chance ffs
I don’t like dropping players after one game either but we are trying to win games as a priority over development. So whomever gets us the win gets in.
If we are to attract the likes of Kelly we have to get in the finals.

Acres is not an in and under mid. If he is to play anywhere it is the wing. Problem is that his defensive efforts are not up to scratch. Watch both the Bombers and Freo game. When he pushed up high he did not put the pressure on. The amount of times I watched him casually jog after an opponent was scary. He does not need to catch them but he could help by putting pressure on the guy with the ball!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I think acres is a good kick of the ball, in fact I’d back him in over most of our list in both distance and accuracy on goal.

The short field kick has got me scratching my head, you kick to the player presenting if he presents short the kick is short etc. Mybe I’m not getting it, anyway I agree he can appear a bit laconic at times but he has his fair share of tackles he had 4 last week and averages 3.

Acres is not an in and under mid. If he is to play anywhere it is the wing. Problem is that his defensive efforts are not up to scratch. Watch both the Bombers and Freo game. When he pushed up high he did not put the pressure on. The amount of times I watched him casually jog after an opponent was scary. He does not need to catch them but he could help by putting pressure on the guy with the ball!
No but a different mix in the centre would be worth a try
Steele Ross Dunstan
Steele Ross/Dunstan Arces/Gresh

The same coaches that watched billings struggle as a forward for how long before realising he might be a decent winger?

I think it's the Dunstan conundrum. He's the best congested player per minute played. Unfortunately he has a low TOG and he isn't versatile. Yet they feel the need to play him even with his glaringly obvious limitations. That leads to more versatile players not being played in their ideal positions. Its a lack of creativity off the ground which leads to a lack of creativity on the ground.
At least you think about it before posting, even if it is ill informed! Unlike some whose personal bashing of Dunstan is both boring and tiresome!

One hand you say he's our best congested player per minute played and on the other hand you seem to blame the player somehow
For his low TOG! You do realise that's not his call you know! He can only do what he can when on the field!

At least you think about it before posting, even if it is ill informed! Unlike some whose personal bashing of Dunstan is both boring and tiresome!

One hand you say he's our best congested player per minute played and on the other hand you seem to blame the player somehow
For his low TOG! You do realise that's not his call you know! He can only do what he can when on the field!

What do you mean? He has always struggled to play out a full game due to fitness. I know he works extremely hard to correct that but unfortunately he has limitations.
And he is unable to play resting forward or back like others do.
With that in mind, what is the coach meant to do?

What do you mean? He has always struggled to play out a full game due to fitness. I know he works extremely hard to correct that but unfortunately he has limitations.
And he is unable to play resting forward or back like others do.
With that in mind, what is the coach meant to do?
No he hasn't man! 2nd half of 17 and 1st half of 18 he regularly played most of the game and his stats went up accordingly and he was our
Best performed mid outside of Steven! Has nothing to do with a so called lack of tank!
That was applicable in his first 2 or 3 seasons but hasn't been for a long time!
And he can occasionally play the resting defensive forward role no problem, he is actually good for a goal or two!

Obvious to who?

The coaching panel, including the guy you'd be happy to take over as senior coach next year?

Acres isn't a clearance beast. If they thought he'd perform there he'd be on there.

I like the kid but let's stop fantasising.

For all his shortcomings, Dunstan is the preferred option, which says more about Blake IMO.

In training match sim this morning Acres was in the center along with the other usual suspects (including Clark).
Was good to get a look at Marsh and Rowe in Saints gear. Rowe was playing forward and snagged a couple. Lether's joked he should be playing up there.
Doodly Wangdangs was looking good, physically terrific size. Hind stood out a little for me. But my winner was the turf! Geeze it was lush. Amazing at Moorabbin now. Even the coffee's good, but could do with a second staffer. Not a bad little crowd. Will be bigger tomorrow.
Billings is definitely hitting his stuff.

I don't have access to centre bounce attendance stats, but by memory of what I have seen its generally Steele and gresh in the circle this year, then Ross possibly 3rd most used, Stevo used heavily in R1 2nd half.
Dunstan is hardly near the middle generally starting fwd.
Am I wrong? Someone enlighten me.
Contested and clearance stats huge for someone used so little.
Ross stats also way down, I'm seeing him start more often off wing or Hb this year.
Still playing good but less involved.

Whereas Dunstan is quick to a ground ball, has great recovery and second efforts, while being a long and penetrating field kick. I mean, Dunny can't even handball properly.

I think The Cho plays Dunny as a mid in the hope that he'll one day improve to the level of mediocre.
Yep. Dunny is so bad that even a jet like Acres can't push him out.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back