Analysis Random NORTH thoughts not worthy of a thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Jamie MacMillan and Shaun Atley have 2 career Brownlow votes each. Each of them received this in the form of a single 2 vote game.

They've played 142 and 179 games respectively.

Now I don't personally rate the Brownlow very highly but am surprised that 2 blokes who have played reasonably eye-catching run and carry roles at different times only caught the umpire's attention once each.

Before you conclude "well it's a midfielder's award" - Scott Thompson has 23 career votes.

Jamie MacMillan and Shaun Atley have 2 career Brownlow votes each. Each of them received this in the form of a single 2 vote game.

Now I don't personally rate the Brownlow very highly but am surprised that 2 blokes who have played reasonably eye-catching run and carry roles at different times only caught the umpire's attention once each.

Before you conclude "well it's a midfielder's award" - Scott Thompson has 23 career votes.
My take on that is that Scott Thompson is a much better player.

Brownlow is hard on backline players though. Corey Enright played the most high quality games in defence in the 21st century and he got 34 votes over 332 games. Though it's hard to catch a lot of votes behind Ablett, Bartel, Selwood, Johnson, Chapman Corey, Kelly etc etc.

In fairness to Atley, he's almost always played as a stopper.

How did this bloke:
"8. Essendon - Shaun Atley
Resembles: Chris Judd (Carlton)
Could be a steal for the Bombers as he is rated top-five by some. Inside midfielder has burst of speed and great awareness in tight."

.. get turned into a stopper?

Easton Wood has 9 votes in 10 years and he's been an AA and premiership captain.

Those aren't arbitrary distinctions though. Neither of these blokes have been near an AA squad yet have both received ample senior opportunity and been given time to find their niche.

Not saying either is a disaster but like a lot of our players but neither seems to have broken beyond the average tier too often either.

I was asked by a mate today, 'who is the player in your team who has the most multiple involvements in transition/scoring chains ?", sadly the 1st name to come mind was Bailey Scott, a 1st year player with a grand total of 3 games, and dropped/rested this week.

How did this bloke:
Could be a steal for the Bombers as he is rated top-five by some. Inside midfielder has burst of speed and great awareness in tight."

It takes one to make one.

1555046106591.png

I was asked by a mate today, 'who is the player in your team who has the most multiple involvements in transition/scoring chains ?", sadly the 1st name to come mind was Bailey Scott, a 1st year player with a grand total of 3 games, and dropped/rested this week.

It's a nonsense.

I reckon that might change this week. I feel like a few of the older players are ready to have an impact. Well, either that or because Scott is being '''rested'''.

If I'm not mistaken, Shaun Atley has finished top five in the B & F once, in 2013.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

How did this bloke:

Was never actually played there. Which could've been half the problem.

To be fair, in the brief midfield opportunities Atley did get, as limited as they were, he never showed he belonged there. He's always struggled with composure and decision making when under pressure, so I'm not sure the midfield was ever the best place for him.

How did this bloke:

Creative and innovative coaching?

Either Tef is right about the club or they are trolling him:

FE-1665-ADULTS-KANG-FOLDED__1290225550.jpg

North Melbourne Kangaroos Adults Snowflake Scarf

Either Tef is right about the club or they are trolling him:

FE-1665-ADULTS-KANG-FOLDED__1290225550.jpg

North Melbourne Kangaroos Adults Snowflake Scarf

Needs more unicorns, dolphins and rainbows.

I'm actually worried for our future in the Good Friday Game if we don't click over the next 2 weeks.

If Team AND supporters won't show up, not going to put forward a good case for keeping it.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back