Bumped Random Chat - I want BBQ

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
hate speech doesn't count when it is against white males.

I mean that would be reverse hate speech wouldn't it? And apparently that doesnt exist
Back to the original topic though - Folau’s bizarre post had literally nothing to do with white or black or male or female. He doesn’t appear to like white males if they happen to be gay etc.

So what are we actually talking about again?

Back to the original topic though - Folau’s bizarre post had literally nothing to do with white or black or male or female. He doesn’t appear to like white males if they happen to be gay etc.

So what are we actually talking about again?
hate speech is a wank.

On Folau,I think he knew what he was doing. He wanted his contract ripped up.

What I am liking is that I’m pretty wasted now and also Jones is having a good game.

For the second half I’m maybe going to need to hold one eye shut for focus

I’m also drunk enough to have posted this in the wrong thread

Suck it Falou you dickhead.

Edit: Excellent, he's gonna be sacked. As a drunk atheist fornicator I couldn't be happier.
Thank you for exercising your free speech. Seems a lot like his comments. Is it only because of his comments, as he is a minority in a few areas?

Topkent has touched on a number of inconsistencies in regards to this.

Thank you for exercising your free speech. Seems a lot like his comments. Is it only because of his comments, as he is a minority in a few areas?
My comments aren't homophobic, they're not targeting minority groups, they're not fundamentalist god-bothering bullshit, this isn't twitter, and my employer isn't going to sack me for saying them on a sub-forum of bigfooty with about 20 regular posters. They're also (kinda obviously) an attempt at humour.

So yeah, struggling to find the common ground tbh!

"Hate speech" is a load of codswallop and selectively policed, it's just a stick to use to beat people vocalizing socially unpopular opinions. If it was actually enforced consistently, most Feminist media "personalities" like Clementine Ford for example would be behind bars for vociferous, repeated infringement. Some forms of discrimination are more socially acceptable than others, and some are widely endorsed.
RIP Folau

My comments aren't homophobic, they're not targeting minority groups, they're not fundamentalist god-bothering bullshit, this isn't twitter, and my employer isn't going to sack me for saying them on a sub-forum of bigfooty with about 20 regular posters. They're also (kinda obviously) an attempt at humour.

So yeah, struggling to find the common ground tbh!

Ooooo, that's hate speech...

Not sure it matters how many people frequent the board. Small things can blow up just as quickly with a few screenshots.

Ooooo, that's hate speech...

Not sure it matters how many people frequent the board. Small things can blow up just as quickly with a few screenshots.
Not to undermine my sublime posting on bigfooty, but for something to be considered hate speech people need to actually care that it was said. Flattered you think this is the case, but sadly I disagree.

Not to undermine my sublime posting on bigfooty, but for something to be considered hate speech people need to actually care that it was said. Flattered you think this is the case, but sadly I disagree.

I care Toump Ass , ergo you are guilty.

So it's subjective rather than a line in the sand between legal and illegal? That just further highlights the joke that it is.

I care Toump Ass , ergo you are guilty.

So it's subjective rather than a line in the sand between legal and illegal? That just further highlights the joke that it is.
The difference between what I said and what Falou said was that I never targeted anyone; fundamentalism isn't a religion.

If I said Falou was preaching "Islamic bullshit" or "Christian bullshit" then maybe you'd have a case to send that screen grab to the Human Rights Commission and tell them about your feelings, but as it stands I don't think you'll get very far. You're welcome to give it a crack though!

On the other hand if Falou said "Non-believers, repent because hell" we wouldn't be having this conversation.

In any case I don't actually care about the legal definition of hate speech and FWIW I agree that it's another term often used to undermine an argument from a group of people, same way "racist" gets thrown about by the left. There's plenty of that on both sides of the fence.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The difference between what I said and what Falou said was that I never targeted anyone; fundamentalism isn't a religion.

If I said Falou was preaching "Islamic bullshit" or "Christian bullshit" then maybe you'd have a case to send that screen grab to the Human Rights Commission and tell them about your feelings, but as it stands I don't think you'll get very far. You're welcome to give it a crack though!

On the other hand if Falou said "Non-believers, repent because hell" we wouldn't be having this conversation.

In any case I don't actually care about the legal definition of hate speech and FWIW I agree that it's another term often used to undermine an argument from a group of people, same way "racist" gets thrown about by the left. There's plenty of that on both sides of the fence.

That argument might fly if we completely ignore the context of the conversation where you're referring to Folau and his fundamentalist god-bothering bullshit. I'm no practitioner of religion either, but let them worship idols and holes in the walls if they want, everyone is entitled to their own belief system. If they want to believe subsets of the population go to a made-up location after they shuffle on from this world, ******* whatever.

I don't really care about the legal definition of it either, mostly because its a load of horseshite, but you're wandering around purporting to be an expert on it the way this thread reads.

That argument might fly if we completely ignore the context of the conversation where you're referring to Folau and his fundamentalist god-bothering bullshit. I'm no practitioner of religion either, but let them worship idols and holes in the walls if they want, everyone is entitled to their own belief system. If they want to believe subsets of the population go to a made-up location after they shuffle on from this world, ******* whatever.

I don't really care about the legal definition of it either, mostly because its a load of horseshite, but you're wandering around purporting to be an expert on it the way this thread reads.

This is the funniest part. He said there going to a made up place from a nursery rhyme. Who even gives a *

but you're wandering around purporting to be an expert on it the way this thread reads.
Time to get some reading glasses mate: it was someone else who called his words "hate speech"...

(...but FWIW it's very clear you're the one who thinks they're an expert)

This is the funniest part. He said there going to a made up place from a nursery rhyme. Who even gives a ****
I don’t. I guess his employer does a bit. Mine would take issue if I did similar so I’m not that surprised.

The guy hasn’t been arrested so I’m not really certain what the big deal is here. He’s had his contact terminated by his employer for doing something that his employer already reprimanded him for. That’s what employers do when employees breach a condition of contract isn’t it?

I don’t. I guess his employer does a bit. Mine would take issue if I did similar so I’m not that surprised.

The guy hasn’t been arrested so I’m not really certain what the big deal is here. He’s had his contact terminated by his employer for doing something that his employer already reprimanded him for. That’s what employers do when employees breach a condition of contract isn’t it?

My original post was though how can these organisations pretend to be tolerant of religious beliefs then fire a bloke for his religious beliefs. Nothing he said isn't apart of his religion.

Time to get some reading glasses mate: it was someone else who called his words "hate speech"...

(...but FWIW it's very clear you're the one who thinks they're an expert)

I'm most certainly not an expert, I did a bit of casual reading after looking at some of your posts (ie the ones above). Happy to be corrected, just not by someone who is talking out of their arse.

My original post was though how can these organisations pretend to be tolerant of religious beliefs then fire a bloke for his religious beliefs. Nothing he said isn't apart of his religion.
Yeah I know. But supporting freedom of religion and freedom of belief doesn’t necessarily extend to tolerance of some mouthy dude potentially pissing off a chunk of your market or whatever it is specifically that RA have an issue with.

What I mean is that being tolerant of your right to worship and right to believe doesn’t actually veto your right to limit the public statements of your employee.

Yeah I know. But supporting freedom of religion and freedom of belief doesn’t necessarily extend to tolerance of some mouthy dude potentially pissing off a chunk of your market or whatever it is specifically that RA have an issue with.

What I mean is that being tolerant of your right to worship and right to believe doesn’t actually veto your right to limit the public statements of your employee.

That's fine, but that surely then comes under the Media / Social Media policies every organisation has these days rather than getting rabid about "hate speech".

That's fine, but that surely then comes under the Media / Social Media policies every organisation has these days rather than getting rabid about "hate speech".
I’m sure it does. I didn’t actually say it was hate speech because I’m not very across what is covered on that one. Personally I find the religious hellfire stuff a bit of a laugh (though as a Scientologist I’m deeply offended by most things) but I guess people have died for it so what do I know?

I'm most certainly not an expert, I did a bit of casual reading after looking at some of your posts (ie the ones above). Happy to be corrected, just not by someone who is talking out of their arse.
Racial and Religious Tolerance Act 2001 (Victoria)

"A person must not, on the ground of the religious belief or activity of another person or class of persons, engage in conduct that incites hatred against, serious contempt for, or revulsion or severe ridicule of, that other person or class of persons"

Once again- I'm flattered you think my conduct has incited hatred, serious contempt, serious ridicule etc. but the reality is the only person who appears to be offended is you.

Stop being a snowflake.

Oh and to be clear- I don't think what either Falou or I said was hate speech.

He said that list of people will go to hell, that's not violence that is a 'fact' in his religion.

You can't have it both ways, either we should be allowed to call out religion for the trash it is or he should be allowed to have his views. Can't just accept the parts that one side of politics says is ok.
Why is he putting it up on social media aside from confronting people? Social media is a public forum, and he's uploaded it to spout this nonsense. He's free to believe what he wants, and he's free to say it. Nobody is dragging him off to prison for it. But Rugby Australia is well within its rights to tell him his time is up.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back