Strategy The Future - Our Forward Set Up

Apr 5, 2016
Everywhere
AFL Club
St Kilda
I can understand moving Battle to defence before we had Marsh & Rowe added to the list. But they put a lot of faith in Paddy staying fit which was never going to happen. Battle has been excellent down back, but when Marsh is ready I would move Battle back forward, particularly if they persist with playing just the 1 ruckman. We simply need another tall marking option forward when Bruce chops out in the ruck.

Ricmel

Premium Platinum
Jul 13, 2009
AFL Club
St Kilda
I think your forward strategy is driven to an extent by who have on your list. I also like the 2 talls/4 smalls provided you have the right talls and smalls - players that can actually deliver a Richmond type set up.

Right now I think we are developing that way - Membrey and Bruce are both good competitors and we have a potentially dangerous fleet of smalls. I would be persevering with that, there are no passengers when it comes to locking the ball in our forward line.

If you think forward and what our list will look like in a couple of years. Likely we will have Max King, Ben King, Jake Carlisle, Bruce and Membrey. Remember Ben has played forward (with success) almost as much as he has played back.

So it is an interesting question. We have built a list that sort of sits on the fence - lots of small forwards, lots of tall forwards.

Meantime in our midfield.......:huh:

Stewart66

Premiership Player
Saints Pledge Contributor
Jul 27, 2014
AFL Club
St Kilda
3 tall mobile forwards Bruce - Battle - Membrey with Long - Parker and Lonie would be what i would like to see

Agree pretty 100%

Love how the Richmond theory still exists with some.

When you go down the line after defence has to have someone to kick the ball to on the wings by one these 3.

When that possession is made by a mark or bringing the ball to the ground a further 2 aerial
targets are required , otherwise you kick the ball to one person , when you play against Geelong
,Fremantle , West Coast , Bulldogs. , Hawks , Swans your 1 person is outnumbered ..by 2 defenders.
It was the Tigers also ..Rance is a huge loss.
Hello .......Tom Stewart , Luke Ryan , Dane Rampe , Ben Stratton, Jeremy Mc Govern & Tom Barrass

Collingwood get away it being 2 because they play Mayne on the wing .

It’s not about the marks you take inside 50 , it’s about the number you deny the opposition.

Been Stkilda ‘s problem for about 6 years ....

Saintbloke

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 26, 2015
AFL Club
St Kilda
The only difference this year is that Bruce is providing a presence and getting a few goals- we still need more input from the flankers/ mids/ crumbers on the scoreboard. Pressure is one thing, but we will struggle to kick high enough scores unless the forward line works a bit more fluently. Although Battle is fitting into the backline, I think his real value would be as a marking CHF.

Agree pretty 100%

Love how the Richmond theory still exists with some.

When you go down the line after defence has to have someone to kick the ball to on the wings by one these 3.

When that possession is made by a mark or bringing the ball to the ground a further 2 aerial
targets are required , otherwise you kick the ball to one person , when you play against Geelong
,Fremantle , West Coast , Bulldogs. , Hawks , Swans your 1 person is outnumbered ..by 2 defenders.
It was the Tigers also ..Rance is a huge loss.
Hello .......Tom Stewart , Luke Ryan , Dane Rampe , Ben Stratton, Jeremy Mc Govern & Tom Barrass

Collingwood get away it being 2 because they play Mayne on the wing .

It’s not about the marks you take inside 50 , it’s about the number you deny the opposition.

Been Stkilda ‘s problem for about 6 years ....
Ripping post

Mikka84

Norm Smith Medallist
Feb 9, 2009
AFL Club
St Kilda
From what you have seen and heard or just on the vibe of it?
Combo of all the above.

I've never seen a club so excited and nervous about one person. Every single person I've talked to, coaches, players and managers all believe he is going onto greatness. Its astonishing. I wasn't around the club when Rooey was drafted, but imagine it was the same back then.

Then you meet him and he's already years above his age.. Grounded, determined and has a bit of arrogant awe about him.

Get excited.

Combo of all the above.

I've never seen a club so excited and nervous about one person. Every single person I've talked to, coaches, players and managers all believe he is going onto greatness. Its astonishing. I wasn't around the club when Rooey was drafted, but imagine it was the same back then.

Then you meet him and he's already years above his age.. Grounded, determined and has a bit of arrogant awe about him.

Get excited.

It's my self preservation kicking in, I don't want to get excited until I see him doing it all before my eyes. I can't buy in until I can be sure he'll be special. It is either Trout's great opus, or another example of a recruiter who could put his hand in a bag of pretzels and pull out a poo. You would think that the law of averages (even if footy gods don't exist), says we are due for a star player.

Greg1853

Club Legend
Aug 21, 2009
AFL Club
St Kilda
It's my self preservation kicking in, I don't want to get excited until I see him doing it all before my eyes. I can't buy in until I can be sure he'll be special. It is either Trout's great opus, or another example of a recruiter who could put his hand in a bag of pretzels and pull out a poo. You would think that the law of averages (even if footy gods don't exist), says we are due for a star player.

All future draft decisions should be based on who can put it on his chest, or kick to his advantage.

All future draft decisions should be based on who can put it on his chest, or kick to his advantage.

I think those types are usually called mids. I'm pretty sure Trout was aiming to build a side with no one but small defenders and key forwards.

I think our team future is already set . Here is a side for round 1 in 2020.

FB - Gresham, Clavarino, Gresham
HB - Gresham , B King , Gresham
C - Gresham , Steele , Billings
HF - Gresham , M King , Gresham
FF - Gresham , Gresham, Gresham
R - Marshall , Gresham , Gresham
I/c - Langlands , Parker , Clarke , Coffield

Unlucky will be young Gresham and cousin Gresham , however they were recruited with an eye on the future .

With this side we will go back to back to back . And to make things easier for supporters all players will change their first name to Jack apart from Jade Gresham himself who actually isn’t in this side at the moment as he will have minor surgery over the off season and will miss the first game but should be right to go round 2 .

Don’t Panic !!

WhiskySaint

All Australian
Nov 23, 2016
AFL Club
St Kilda
I think our team future is already set . Here is a side for round 1 in 2020.

FB - Gresham, Clavarino, Gresham
HB - Gresham , B King , Gresham
C - Gresham , Steele , Billings
HF - Gresham , M King , Gresham
FF - Gresham , Gresham, Gresham
R - Marshall , Gresham , Gresham
I/c - Langlands , Parker , Clarke , Coffield

Unlucky will be young Gresham and cousin Gresham , however they were recruited with an eye on the future .

With this side we will go back to back to back . And to make things easier for supporters all players will change their first name to Jack apart from Jade Gresham himself who actually isn’t in this side at the moment as he will have minor surgery over the off season and will miss the first game but should be right to go round 2 .

Don’t Panic !!
Is it too much pressure for Gresham being the only player/coach in the league?

I think those types are usually called mids. I'm pretty sure Trout was aiming to build a side with no one but small defenders and key forwards.
... but they're all such nice boys.

Is it too much pressure for Gresham being the only player/coach in the league?

Yes there will be some pressure on Gresham as a player/ coach , but he has good backup in Gresham , Gresham, Gresham and Gresham as assistant coaches who should help out.

Don’t Panic !!

Jan 10, 2011
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
Ormond AFC
I can understand moving Battle to defence before we had Marsh & Rowe added to the list. But they put a lot of faith in Paddy staying fit which was never going to happen. Battle has been excellent down back, but when Marsh is ready I would move Battle back forward, particularly if they persist with playing just the 1 ruckman. We simply need another tall marking option forward when Bruce chops out in the ruck.
You know what I’d do. Wait to see if a state league player is good enough. If as you say battle has been excellent down back I wouldn’t be moving him anywhere. I’d be moving marsh who hasn’t proven a thing.

I wonder if we can play Rowe upfront with Bruce and Membrey, I still think that'd be more beneficial. Rowe can play that ruck/forward role and allow Wilkie/acres/bruce to perform their roles and not ruck. Doing my research, I did find out Rowe is a good kick and a good mark has good second efforts when the ball hits the ground.

I hope the coaches look into this, we could get an experienced VET who could kick a goal or two a game, provide support to Roma and allow 3 other players to perform their role.

Back