Thewlis Dish

Cancelled
10k Posts
Sep 9, 2003
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
FGR
Was that the Ben McKinley comeback game?

200.gif

kangaspurs

Cancelled
Jul 14, 2014
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Tottenham, Melbourne City FC
No, when you're 0-3, the priority for me is to get a win and kick start the season. Looking at the fixture, if we managed to extract the digit, we could easily be 6:7 at the bye with the season still alive. North isn't the club to put the cue into the rack at 0:3. We won the flag 20 years ago from 1-3 after round 4 FFS.
We have the players to win more games than we lose that's for sure. What's happened so far has been a combination of poor preparation and planning by the coaching staff, limited preseason to key players, and a bunch of new blokes coming in without the coaches getting the balance right. I back us to turn it around if we can win the next two (which are more than winnable), anything is possible.
I've posted recently that, statistically speaking at least, out season is all but over, but I actually agree with a lot of this. Footy isn't played on Excel spreadsheets, and who knows what a few wins could do to the confidence of the playing group. Momentum is a really important thing in sport.

The danger, however, of such an attitude is that we continue down the path of playing senior players, looking for wins, and end up in no man's land around 9th-11th, while wasting yet more development opportunities for our young guys. That's not how you get better long-term.

I've posted recently that, statistically speaking at least, out season is all but over, but I actually agree with a lot of this. Footy isn't played on Excel spreadsheets, and who knows what a few wins could do to the confidence of the playing group. Momentum is a really important thing in sport.

The danger, however, of such an attitude is that we continue down the path of playing senior players, looking for wins, and end up in no man's land around 9th-11th, while wasting yet more development opportunities for our young guys. That's not how you get better long-term.

We've all seen the story of this year before.

We've started s**t.
We're going to rally.
We're going to play some really good footy.
We're likely to choose now over future at the selection table.
We'll lose stupid games.
We'll land in 8th at absolute highest.
We'll ultimately fail in finals if we get there.
We'll have to continue to refresh the list with midtable picks.

If you asked me a month ago what I wanted it would have been all out to win every game.

3 weeks of he vanilla sameness and I'm losing the will to care.

We've been here. Often.

shinboner spiggs

Premiership Player
Aug 19, 2012
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Jazz, West Indies
The issue is the players are trying. They’ve come out hard with a point to prove and have dominated both first quarters since the freo debacle. But once the other team settles and they work out our method, their effort becomes irrelevant.

These new guys will be keen to make an impression but once the crows work it out they’ll work themselves into the game. They’re pus so it’ll be close towards the end, but expect they’ll get the job done. The style of footy will be abhorrent. Going purely because I have a membership and if we don’t go we will become extinct.

pupstar

Club Legend
Aug 12, 2017
cairns
AFL Club
North Melbourne

shinboner spiggs

Premiership Player
Aug 19, 2012
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Jazz, West Indies
Are you saying we have a good list. With all the bagging of so many players by posters Wood Turner J Mac L Mac Hrovac jus to name a few I would have thought most did not rate this list.
Nothing wrong with the list. Even almost all the players you’ve listed are talented enough to make the grade.

That’s the issue. List is good, yet we sit 0-3 with the season dead and properly buried.

rippersnipper

What up son, whatever
Jun 22, 2014
AFL Club
North Melbourne
How many other clubs rest their kids when they're playing well? Can't say I've noticed it before, but it's not like Scott is playing particularly badly, or showing other signs of fatigue. Just seems like a rubbish position to take as a club. There have been much worse players than him over the three rounds thus far. Can't say that I'm a fan

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back