No one day cricket next summer

Remove this Banner Ad

Reads like Cricket Australia agreed to play in India in January 2020 some time ago and now can't squirm their way out of it (but happy to let BCCI take the credit/blame).

BBL will still be 59 games but over fewer days.

CA won't shorten the BBL. Its not like international players play in it much when there isa home series on anyway. Being an away series instead changes nothing. And if the India series is being brought forward can't the NZ series be played afterwards. Or maybe not, given NZ's next commitment is against India.

yet another reason to despise the BCCI, particularly seeing that they are forcing it to be even earlier than it was.

side note - why are we playing even more ODIs in India

yet another reason to despise the BCCI, particularly seeing that they are forcing it to be even earlier than it was.

side note - why are we playing even more ODIs in India

Now we know what it's like when we pulled South Africa out of the height of their summer because they could make more $$$ here.

Now we know what it's like when we pulled South Africa out of the height of their summer because they could make more $$$ here.
That is true, what goes around comes around

CA won't shorten the BBL. Its not like international players play in it much when there isa home series on anyway. Being an away series instead changes nothing. And if the India series is being brought forward can't the NZ series be played afterwards. Or maybe not, given NZ's next commitment is against India.

according to articles today, we'll play NZ in March, which conflicts with footy season.

Oh damn, now we won't get to watch them on TV playing in India instead of not getting to watch them on TV playing in Australia. CA are a group of butt monkeys.

its not just CA.

there were 6 odi's in the summer just gone - crowds were down and none of them were on free to air tv.

people are voting with their feet what format they want to go to - and its a domestic 20/20 comp of all things.

it may just be the beginning of the end, either way gone are the days of heaps of odi cricket each summer.
there is no more champions trophy nor any tri series (other than the odd series including some of the minnows).

the odi championship fixture also has a lot to do with it because of the reduction in odi's etc.

The BBL was far too long time wise

Fridays and Saturdays are prime time for double headers, especially a night game in Perth on a Friday night.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

(Log in to remove this ad.)

its not just CA.

there were 6 odi's in the summer just gone - crowds were down and none of them were on free to air tv.

people are voting with their feet what format they want to go to - and its a domestic 20/20 comp of all things.

it may just be the beginning of the end, either way gone are the days of heaps of odi cricket each summer.
there is no more champions trophy nor any tri series (other than the odd series including some of the minnows).

the odi championship fixture also has a lot to do with it because of the reduction in odi's etc.

BBL tickets are what they're worth. CA prices ODIs like it's the elite then pick B players.

BBL tickets are what they're worth. CA prices ODIs like it's the elite then pick B players.

This! I stopped going to one dayers years ago when they stopped picking the best 11 to play.

If Australia playing a one dayer at MCG with Warner, Maxwell, Smith, Stonis, Pattinson, Cummings, Starc and Lyon I am there in person to watch but the only time you will ever see that again is the last few games of a World Cup. Hence you lost a whole bunch of us that used to go when the norm was to pick your best 11 as much as possible. Now if I was to go I would get bowlers like Tremain and Kane Richardson bowling for us and lucky to see one of our true top bowlers play. Why would I pay to go see the equivalent of JLT type pre season game? I still follow what is going on from afar like I do the pre-season football games but it is no longer elite of teams playing each other in one dayers. That only happens once every four years towards end of world cup.

The BBL was far too long time wise

Fridays and Saturdays are prime time for double headers, especially a night game in Perth on a Friday night.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk
I think so too, but CA will want mainstream media coverage for as long as possible. A drawn out BBL gives that, especially if the home season is cut short (and the ridiculous call going pay-TV only for ODI/T20I adds to that need to get broader coverage).

edit: So, if the games don't happen, CA had this poll about using a retro shirt for what exactly (other than getting some publicity in footy season)?

Last edited:
its not just CA.

The home One Day series against India had great crowds, it’s just that nobody at the games was supporting Australia.

This! I stopped going to one dayers years ago when they stopped picking the best 11 to play.

If Australia playing a one dayer at MCG with Warner, Maxwell, Smith, Stonis, Pattinson, Cummings, Starc and Lyon I am there in person to watch but the only time you will ever see that again is the last few games of a World Cup. Hence you lost a whole bunch of us that used to go when the norm was to pick your best 11 as much as possible. Now if I was to go I would get bowlers like Tremain and Kane Richardson bowling for us and lucky to see one of our true top bowlers play. Why would I pay to go see the equivalent of JLT type pre season game? I still follow what is going on from afar like I do the pre-season football games but it is no longer elite of teams playing each other in one dayers. That only happens once every four years towards end of world cup.

Lyon is a hack in ODI's though.

The ODI competition in Australia has also lost meaning. Sure the WSC Cup was a convoluted load of bollocks from the get-go, but it least it meant the triangular competition meant *something*. There was a build-up, a finals series and an eventual winner. Now what is it all about? The test series have a narrative arc, as does the BBL season. The recent ODI fixtures felt like nothing more than a reason to flog tickets for space fillers in the schedule.

Yet the Indian ODI's here this summer were the highest figures reached in terms of TV ratings (admittedly read this in the AFR so haven't investigated the figures).

Australia plays too many ODI's anyway.

It is why we do not get the proper team. It is always resting 3 to 5 players from the proper team until the World Cup.

If they cut back the schedule to 20 ODI's a year and not even bother with silly T20 internationals we might see a few games with full strength teams.
But the schedules are totally out of control so cannot see it happening. Virtually only time ODI's mean proper teams going head to head is deeper stages of World Cup.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back