Review Dogs Run Out Of Legs And Lose To Collingwood - Rd 4 2019

There were some very disappointing forwards tonight. McLean looked slow, couldn't get to enough contests and didn't offer anything as a crumber either. Dickson fumbled most of the night. Gowers always looked as if he was going to do something but it never quite came off - a very VFL type game from him. Schache stuck one hand up in the air on a few occasions and found that was too taxing so then put no hands in the air.
Naughton is shaping as our only Great White Hope down there.

Virgin Dog

Cancelled
Oct 29, 2017
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Cordy was fine. He was solid first 3 quarters.

Surely at some stage bailey Williams is best 22 and brought back. 10 months ago he seemed a lock in this side.

Schache needs to learn how to find some presence. Seriously inept.
Not sure what's happened to Williams and Lynch. Both looked incredible at the back end of last year, and now are showing only slightly above average form in the VFL. Need them performing

ExRoyboy

Premiership Player
Sep 28, 2014
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
Utah Jazz
We tried our heart out but were just outclassed in the end. I'm not disheartened by our performance at all, feels like we're back to our 2015/16 form where we're competitive with everyone.

We really are just a functioning forward line away from being a super strong side.
And a decent ruckman..... we will never win anything with the no third up rule until we address this glaring weakness in our team. If that means we have to wait 4-5 years for English to put on enough muscle so he can’t just get pushed around like he did tonight then I suppose that’s it. Trengove is a stop gap and probably should be playing at the moment because Tim is out of his depth. But it’s a lot more than a functioning forward line.

I was proud of the effort tonight. If we had played like that last week we would have won by 6 goals. That is the really disappointing thing, lack of effort last week just threw away a golden opportunity to be 3-1 after 4 games.

They really tried this week. Bont was back to his best, Naughton was fantastic for a period and the mids worked hard to get the game on our terms. Crozier and Daniel were great down back. Overall we just weren’t strong enough yet to beat Collingwood and it was most exemplified in the Ruck.

Brodie Grundy deserved the 3 votes from that game if you ask me.

Substance

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 6, 2012
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Wallis and Dunkley can’t be in the same side if you ask me. Both butcher the ball and it’s hard to carry both. I’d say bring Jong in to replace one soon

I think the only way they can be in the same side right now is if:
1. Wallis stays within 50m of goal
2. Dunkley is instructed to handball, or just long kick to a contest. He should be forbidden from attempting to kick the ball under 40 meters.

When he plays on ball, just boot it straight down the middle from the clearance, trying to keep it in line with the goals.

BRWB

Brownlow Medallist
10k Posts The Cult of Robbo
Oct 7, 2012
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Wallis and Dunkley can’t be in the same side if you ask me. Both butcher the ball and it’s hard to carry both. I’d say bring Jong in to replace one soon

Jong is a bigger butcher than Wallis and has diabolical hands and is a shocking kick for goal.

I do agree Wallis and Dunkley should be competing for one spot. I prefer Wallis if he is played more fwd. Both would be best 22 at many clubs and are seemingly at ours.

Libba39

Norm Smith Medallist
Mar 10, 2008
Murrumbeena
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Am I right in saying full back is our biggest problem now?

I'll eat my words and say that Naughton should stay fwd. That third qtr was amazing. But in saying that, we now have a gaping hole at full back and no real prospects there. Young? Roberts? then fresh air.

Is there anyone we could target next year?

I'm over it. That first half was one of the ugliest 50+ minutes I think I've seen for a long time.(Worse than MKR this season. Well, almost.) So many errors. So many missed opportunities. However, Aaron Naughton made that third quarter come alive. Good work by Bailey Smith. He's improved every game. The Bont was as expected. Class, pure class. Libba back is so satisfying. And that Macrae fellow. He's doin' just fine.

I'm going to try and make it to next week's game. Hopefully the stars will align for me.

footyfan000001

Cancelled
Jun 8, 2006
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Schache 4 touches 0 tackles. Not good enough. Need more McLean in the midfield and more Wallis up forward. Please swap them two. Bont was unreal tonight, best game in a few years.

footscray1973

Premiership Player
May 17, 2004
Pepperland
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
Footscray
There were some very disappointing forwards tonight. McLean looked slow, couldn't get to enough contests and didn't offer anything as a crumber either. Dickson fumbled most of the night. Gowers always looked as if he was going to do something but it never quite came off - a very VFL type game from him. Schache stuck one hand up in the air on a few occasions and found that was too taxing so then put no hands in the air.
Naughton is shaping as our only Great White Hope down there.

McLean is a mid, being played as a forward. He’s not an 18yo broomstick any more, the kid can play, and needs to be played to his strengths.

Mattdougie

Cancelled
10k Posts
Jun 29, 2013
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Can someone explain to me why we have a four foot three bloke that can’t kick more than 40 mts kicking out from fullback ?

Yeah I get that he hits a target but they are generally within 20 mts so why not put Suckling there to kick it long with a run out and get it 80 mts away from goal ?

BRWB

Brownlow Medallist
10k Posts The Cult of Robbo
Oct 7, 2012
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
McLean is a mid, being played as a forward. He’s not an 18yo broomstick any more, the kid can play, and needs to be played to his strengths.

The swap in mid minutes with Wallis should be simple.

Brinf in some more run for Dickson IMO. Dickson fumbles and is slowish.

Richards needs a spell as well.

Riddle me this Bevidge: Why do you thinks its a good idea to have Wallis plodding about through the middle of the ground with his sub-par skills whilst the clean skills and naus of McLean is in the wasteland of the forward pocket?

Its been evident for some time that Wallis should be a forward or not in the team.

Yojimbo

Cancelled
10k Posts
Nov 14, 2012
The "Elephant" in the room.
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Messed around with the ball around the strip (50 metre arc) and that is for both sides in attack and defence.
Naughton was heading the same way as Schache, but for a cameo in the third quarter. Hate to be a forward
ahead of that crap use. Predictable game, predictable margin, predictable good players, if Roughead is the
anchor exploit his lack of pace. Are we trying to win or not lose badly that is the question.

footyfan000001

Cancelled
Jun 8, 2006
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Can someone explain to me why we have a four foot three bloke that can’t kick more than 40 mts kicking out from fullback ?

Yeah I get that he hits a target but they are generally within 20 mts so why not put Suckling there to kick it long with a run out and get it 80 mts away from goal ?

I agree should be Suckling but Bevo loves ball retention. And Daniel hits up smart targets. Look at the one down the middle to English.

Substance

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 6, 2012
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Schache 4 touches 0 tackles. Not good enough. Need more McLean in the midfield and more Wallis up forward. Please swap them two. Bont was unreal tonight, best game in a few years.

Yep what is up with this guy? His last quarter vs Hawthorn was phenomenal, where did that Schache go the last 2 games? It's always the same issue with Schache. He doesn't have enough hunger.

Last edited:
Back