Radio 1116 SEN 2024 Line-up

Remove this Banner Ad

Spud never hosted. It was usually Luke and Heverin I thought but not sure how they bring in more money; maybe they flog the sponsors more than RoCo or something.

im unable to listen to that at present. Can you give me a summary?

Its really interesting considering both are former employees of SEN and provide quite regular thoughts about the place.

Impossible to sum up, it was a 20 minute rant.

I quite enjoy the Footyology podcast, but I don't need to hear this s**t. Connelly is a good enough bloke (who I like even more having met him a couple of times at union events) that he never really sounds like he's grinding an axe - but he absolutely was.

Essentially, it was a sermon responding to Hutchison on his podcast where he said the poor communication that led to Connelly leaving SEN went both ways, with Connelly explaining how that wasn't the case, and going through his attempts to get in touch with SEN and figure out whether they had any plans for him.

Fine was about to chip in with to recount the end of his time at SEN before remembering that his redundancy payout prevented him from doing it, so all he really said is that he would've liked the opportunity to make a pitch to Hutchison, who he believes probably has a similar view on sports broadcasting to himself, but he didn't get a chance because of similar poor communication. (Though both men went onto say how this is an industry-wide problem.)

FWIW, I don't disagree with Connelly - he, and other broadcasters, have the right to plan their lives and their careers around their expectation of work. Based on what he said, it was fair enough that he left because SEN refused to give him any certainty.

I quite enjoy the Footyology podcast, but I don't need to hear this s**t. Connelly is a good enough bloke (who I like even more having met him a couple of times at union events) that he never really sounds like he's grinding an axe - but he absolutely was.

Essentially, it was a sermon responding to Hutchison on his podcast where he said the poor communication that led to Connelly leaving SEN went both ways, with Connelly explaining how that wasn't the case, and going through his attempts to get in touch with SEN and figure out whether they had any plans for him.

Fine was about to chip in with to recount the end of his time at SEN before remembering that his redundancy payout prevented him from doing it, so all he really said is that he would've liked the opportunity to make a pitch to Hutchison, who he believes probably has a similar view on sports broadcasting to himself, but he didn't get a chance because of similar poor communication. (Though both men went onto say how this is an industry-wide problem.)

FWIW, I don't disagree with Connelly - he, and other broadcasters, have the right to plan their lives and their careers around their expectation of work. Based on what he said, it was fair enough that he left because SEN refused to give him any certainty.
Thank you.

RoCo is on 3aw again is he not?

Pretty much. What happened to Roco at SEN isn't just a radio thing. As he himself said, it's the complete break-down of common respect and courtesy people have for each other that is the major 21st century issue, especially when it comes to employer management roles in the workforce. More so when the work is casual/part-time.

That Hutchy refused to even entertain a response to Roco over a long period of time speaks volumes. But such an attitude filters down to the rest of management, where they are either to scared to give concrete responses or are just as in the dark as those under them. And on and on it goes. We all see this everyday.

Had a listen to RoCo and Finey and it was a little sad. Middle aged blokes who lack self insight and can't read the tea leaves.

Listening to Finey say he has rang a radio station 30 times looking for work with no response. Fair dinkum, join the dots. if you are a kid doing that your persistence is admired. As a 40 plus you are a pest who can't take the hint. Human nature is that people hate having hard conversations. No news is usually bad news. That is life.

Other than a few hardcore Fine fans most regular media consumers could have told him his narcissistic, charmless and often gormless style was always going to mean he would struggle for another on air job. Producing or columns sure but not many people want to listen to him.

RoCo's style is also annoying. Unable to accept alternative views, querelous and whiney. His willingness to inflict his views on others is best demonstrated by his boring and bizarre advocacy for Rage Against the Machine. Just a complete lack of self awareness. A poor quality in a radio host.

Both have excellent footy knowledge but this is all to often drowned out by their idiosyncrasies.

Good luck to both but their whining underlines why they and Fine in particular are struggling.

Other than a few hardcore Fine fans most regular media consumers could have told him his narcissistic, charmless and often gormless style was always going to mean he would struggle for another on air job.

That’s describing most successful talk back hosts on radio today!

I’ll counter your post with two words..Jack.Heverin. So vanilla it’s blinding

I heard Cornes bring that up , what a joke how many times can you do that.

Spot on darce.

Goes to show the station needs to get smarter and more rounded. The fallback of AFL, especially in the way some of the media present it (ie cornes most underrated, KB best teams etc) is amateurish at best. They should be listening and watching ESPN to learn about professional presentation.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

So much football coverage where they repeat same topic over each show. Yet how many times do you hear these guys say ‘oh I don’t know because I didn’t see the game’ when discussing particular games.

I mean most of the these guys it’s their full time job appearing on radio talking footy and getting paid six figure salary, yet they haven’t got time to watch all 9 games?! Watch them on x2 speed, won’t take that long. I think Terry Wallace is the only one who does.

So much football coverage where they repeat same topic over each show. Yet how many times do you hear these guys say ‘oh I don’t know because I didn’t see the game’ when discussing particular games.

I mean most of the these guys it’s their full time job appearing on radio talking footy and getting paid six figure salary, yet they haven’t got time to watch all 9 games?! Watch them on x2 speed, won’t take that long. I think Terry Wallace is the only one who does.
"What did you think of Adelaide's decision to drop Gibbs?"
"Well, I haven't seen much of Adelaide this year, but..."
FMD

It’s staggering. They have access to games like we do. And probably able to get fox or seven to provide summary vids of the games.

I think it’s an attitude here culturally. I’m not gonna watch every game or highlights! Why should I? I got things to do!! Then smile. Very slack embodied in the nah she’ll be right attitude.

Might be KB's way of not getting a new contract so he can move on and do a morning shift, because I know that's what he wants.

Not true Im afraid. Spoke to him at a recent event (known him since I was a wee child). He said he's happy doing afternoons as it allows him to play morning golf.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back