Strategy The Future - Our Forward Set Up

Remove this Banner Ad

I wonder if we can play Rowe upfront with Bruce and Membrey, I still think that'd be more beneficial. Rowe can play that ruck/forward role and allow Wilkie/acres/bruce to perform their roles and not ruck. Doing my research, I did find out Rowe is a good kick and a good mark has good second efforts when the ball hits the ground.

I hope the coaches look into this, we could get an experienced VET who could kick a goal or two a game, provide support to Roma and allow 3 other players to perform their role.

For that to work he needs to be better than the player he would replace. Baring injury I doubt he plays a game for us.

If we ever take that 2 ruckman path, that few teams are doing now, I'd rather have Rowe with Marshall then Longer and Pierce.

If we go that way I agree but im hoping we don't have 2 rucks. Certainly don't want Longer or Pierce with Marshall but I reckon that will happen. I doubt Rowe plays forward for us.

If we go that way I agree but im hoping we don't have 2 rucks. Certainly don't want Longer or Pierce with Marshall but I reckon that will happen. I doubt Rowe plays forward for us.
I'm not sure if Marshall can handle Gawn and Preuss next week, we'd easily get smashed considering how good Dee's midfield is.

For that to work he needs to be better than the player he would replace. Baring injury I doubt he plays a game for us.

I think they got him for that reason, he was a bit of a Harry Taylor wen he was young, he could go either end and be capable. If a KP at either end goes down he can cover them.

Pruess may not play and anyway Gawn has smashed everyone this year and Melbourne had the same midfield yet didn't win till Thursday.

Gawn has been s**t this year.

On max king.
Had dinner with a mate last night who is a scout for a rival club.
His opinion best key position player he has scouted in his time 2008 onwards.
If he had not of got injured there was zero chance he was there at pick 4.
Thinks Gold Coast made a huge error taking lukoscious over him.

They had to take the SA boys together or the King brothers together. They really needed to get players who hit the ground running and King and King are probably not going to show much for a few years. Rankine blowing up has been a backfire but I think those two look like guns. Luko could be that kind of Jeremy Cameron high possession forward who scores heavily or a Jack Watts limited utility.

I hope to * King is the King.

I wonder if we can play Rowe upfront with Bruce and Membrey, I still think that'd be more beneficial. Rowe can play that ruck/forward role and allow Wilkie/acres/bruce to perform their roles and not ruck. Doing my research, I did find out Rowe is a good kick and a good mark has good second efforts when the ball hits the ground.

I hope the coaches look into this, we could get an experienced VET who could kick a goal or two a game, provide support to Roma and allow 3 other players to perform their role.

Rowe is a LOG

With absolute respect probably the worst recruitment we have made .

Can see the logic of Marsh but with Rowe ..baffling track watchers at training all agree .

Rowe is a LOG

With absolute respect probably the worst recruitment we have made .

Can see the logic of Marsh but with Rowe ..baffling track watchers at training all agree .

Surely just insurance for Brown because Joyce, Battle, Austin ( now injured) are so inexperienced.
Hopefully he never has to play.

I've got some real difficulty naming a best six either now or going forward and a real struggle coming up with a structure.

The problem is the midfield.

On structure, pick the best 6 and create a plan around that six, it seems easy but both Gresham and Battle would make my best 6 and they're wanted elsewhere, Bruce is a certain starter but I don't want him playing in the ruck.

Do we having a winning midfield, both fast and strong with good skill? If yes I'd prefer a 2 tall, 2 medium and 2 small forward line, with our current players Bruce and Battle, Membrey and Parker, Gresham and Lonie. This would provide the most options, lead up, contested, over the back and roving with at least four able to provide real pressure, with Billings, Acres and Long all capable of providing cameos as well as some midfielders that can hit the goal from outside/running through the centre.

Do we have a winning midfield but with mediocre or poor skills, but can still get the ball in quickly with some semblance of direction? If yes I'd prefer 3 tall and 3 small. Battle, Bruce and Marshall with Long, Gresham and Lonie. We need the three talls to actually bring the ball (or mark, they have to be able at the very least to halve the contest), to ground and virtually play as pairs with a small forward, a pair on each HF flank and one pair at FF, if one side of the ground gets used the loose pair provide an option at CHF, Membrey plays outside 50 running into the forward line.

Do we have a midfield that loses the contested ball, is slow and has poor disposal? Yes, yes we do! We rely on run and rebound off HB and numbers through the midfield, while we nominally have to have 6 in the forward line we could play a trapezium forward line with Bruce and Lonie/Gresham about 15 meters from the goal line, Membrey and Parker/Battle lining up 15m either side of CHF, that lead at 45 or laterally, the two others being midfielders that become runners between the arcs, centre bounces aside we run a 7 man midfield. Under that lineup we have to have the courage to hold as far forward as possible, Bruce and Lonie have to stay at full forward as Membrey and Parker have to hold to CHF, Marshall if in the ruck has to run forward and occupy the fat side of the ground, we've been using him to run back and help defensively. When we do get the ball either back or midfield we have to do every thing we can to move forward as quickly and directly as possible, if we don't the opposition defence and midfield slide back and block it up as much as possible. Which is when our lack of physical competitive aerialists really hurt us.

Going forward I'm encouraged by the Hawks of 2008, with Roughy, Buddy, Boyle, Cyril and Mark Williams providing the nucleus of as dynamic a forward line as I have seen, ok Tim Boyle broke down and didn't make the big dance but they were compulsive viewing early in the year and good enough with a lesser midfield than Geelong to take the flag, we don't have Clarko as the coach but Geelong won 21 of 22 and were well beaten by the young Hawks.

There are lots of if's and some of them are massive if's but a forward group that could include Ming, Bruce, Battle, Membrey, Long, Parker, Young, Lonie, Marshall and Billings could be as compelling as anything I've seen, but we have to have a midfield and we have to take the chance of losing to win.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

They had to take the SA boys together or the King brothers together. They really needed to get players who hit the ground running and King and King are probably not going to show much for a few years. Rankine blowing up has been a backfire but I think those two look like guns. Luko could be that kind of Jeremy Cameron high possession forward who scores heavily or a Jack Watts limited utility.

I hope to **** King is the King.
About time we had a draft win! Hope so much that Max is the superstar we need.

Combo of all the above.

I've never seen a club so excited and nervous about one person. Every single person I've talked to, coaches, players and managers all believe he is going onto greatness. Its astonishing. I wasn't around the club when Rooey was drafted, but imagine it was the same back then.

Then you meet him and he's already years above his age.. Grounded, determined and has a bit of arrogant awe about him.

Get excited.

King has the potential to be better than Roo. He jumps a lot higher and times his leads better from what I've seen.

I like the idea of two talls rather than three. It makes the team more mobile and really seems to be the way the game is going. One of our problems seems to be that the smaller players we have there don't seem to lead and provide a marking option. Milne was very good at this.

I had the same thought on Membery the other day. It's almost counter intuitive to suggest he be replaced but it does make sense in a brutal sort of way. I may be wrong on this but I can't recall too many occasions where he has crumbed goals, he seems to play exclusively as a 'tall'.

King does have the advantage of being very good when the ball hits the deck. That's a rare commodity for a man that tall.

It depends on the player.
No you don't want three Tom Hawkins's ( or Paddy McCartin's) but that's not what we have.
But whatever Josh Bruce's faults lack of mobility is not one of them.

Ground ball gets per game.
Gresham 8.3 ( StKilda's best for reference )
Marshall 5.6 ( 7th in StKilda ).
Joyce 4.3
Hind 3.8
Kent 3.8
Bruce 3.5
Lonie 3.3
Membrey 3.2
Parker 2.5
Long 2.4
Battle 1.9

FWD 50 Ground ball gets
Gresham 1.8
Bruce 1.6
Lonie 1.5
Hind 1.5
Membrey 1.5
Kent 1.5
Sinclair 1.5
Hannebery 1
Rowe 1
Long 0.9
----------------
Elsewhere
Eddie Betts 2.7
Petracca 2.6
Stephenson 2.6
Parfit 2.3
Cripps 2.3
Ablett 2.3
Hugh Greenwood 2.1
Garlett 2.1

Richo asked for crumbing forwards and they gave us crummy forwards.

It depends on the player.
No you don't want three Tom Hawkins's ( or Paddy McCartin's) but that's not what we have.
But whatever Josh Bruce's faults lack of mobility is not one of them.

Ground ball gets per game.
Gresham 8.3 ( StKilda's best for reference )
Marshall 5.6 ( 7th in StKilda ).
Joyce 4.3
Hind 3.8
Kent 3.8
Bruce 3.5
Lonie 3.3
Membrey 3.2
Parker 2.5
Long 2.4
Battle 1.9

FWD 50 Ground ball gets
Gresham 1.8
Bruce 1.6
Lonie 1.5
Hind 1.5
Membrey 1.5
Kent 1.5
Sinclair 1.5
Hannebery 1
Rowe 1
Long 0.9
----------------
Elsewhere
Eddie Betts 2.7
Petracca 2.6
Stephenson 2.6
Parfit 2.3
Cripps 2.3
Ablett 2.3
Hugh Greenwood 2.1
Garlett 2.1

Richo asked for crumbing forwards and they gave us crummy forwards.
Pretty hard to get crumbs in the forward line when the opposition's defense are marking everything that comes in.

Pretty hard to get crumbs in the forward line when the opposition's defense are marking everything that comes in.

The stat is ground ball gets in the forward 50.
The point is , Bruce gets more than our crumbing forwards.
So does Gresham who plays on ball.
Membrey picks up more than Long.

No point having smalls if they can't play small.

The stat is ground ball gets in the forward 50.
The point is , Bruce gets more than our crumbing forwards.
So does Gresham who plays on ball.
Membrey picks up more than Long.

No point having smalls if they can't play small.
I'd say it's more a symptom of the real disease -- the way Richo had us playing.

How many ground balls is Lonie going to get when he's the marking target against someone a foot taller?

Kicks into space on the rebound. For Bruce, rucking duties.

You can't crumb an aerial contest when there's:

A) No aerial contest
B) An intercepting mark
C) A spoil sending the ball over the line.
It doesn’t change the fact that our smalls are rarely anywhere near our talls when the ball is coming in and if they are they seem addicted to going for the mark in competition with them rather than crumbing

It doesn’t change the fact that our smalls are rarely anywhere near our talls when the ball is coming in and if they are they seem addicted to going for the mark in competition with them rather than crumbing
I don't think we've been watching the same forward entries.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back