Review Dogs Run Out Of Legs And Lose To Collingwood - Rd 4 2019

Mantis Toboggan

Premiership Player
Mar 24, 2018
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Where have I changed my argument again?

Seriously when you want to have a crack at peoples opinions at least grasp the English language.

Lloyd was very average at best. Flashing in for a cameo that people remember does not change that.

Braybrook Son a poster I respect disagreed with my opionin on the basis Lloyd was our best forward, his opinion which is neither right or wrong.

I merely in discussion with him opined that if he is correct in his opinion it is one of the many reasons why over 4 quarters we scored 9 goals.

Lloyd cost us nothing and is handy depth but he like many was poor overall last night.
I draw the line at my English language skills being criticised by a guy who doesn’t spell his own name with a capital letter.

You stated Lloyd was one of our worst players last night.

Someone else accused you of being completely wrong, going as far as to say that he was one of our best.

You said that the fact he was being talked about as one of our better performers shows just how poor we were.

If you cannot see how you’ve shifted your target with that sequence of events then you’ve got a problem.

I don’t have any great affinity for Lloyd. He was good in the first two games, poor last week and good again this time around. However it does annoy me when people are being unreasonable negative (or positive) and shifting the goalposts when they are called out on their bullshit.

DogDays

Club Legend
Oct 31, 2012
Ex-Melbourne, now Brisbane
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
I actually thought it was a good entertaining game - in general we played pretty well. Obviously I would have preferred we won it but Collingwood certainly turned up to play.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

Jun 27, 2013
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
Tottenham Hotspur, SSC Napoli, ESH
Well, and just the fact that his teammates started using him as well I think. I know rucks get the luxury most times of kicking under little pressure, but even so I reckon he has better footskills than half our mids. IF we are going to persist in losing 95% of the taps, we need to direct the ball through him as much as possible.
Happy to start doing that once he gets stronger in the air, right now he needs to work on his contested marking, most of the time he just spoils/brings to ground on order not go get outmarked

Until then would only kick to him when in space if it's not the long ball down the line

Mantis Toboggan

Premiership Player
Mar 24, 2018
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Why? Did he play well? MD was merely in his way saying these players were poor.

They were or was another game played last night? MD could often word things differently but that does not make his underlying point wrong
MD is quite capable of wording his own views without your patronising qualifying statements. I took his point and disagreed with it. I’m sure he will still sleep tonight.

Jun 27, 2013
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
Tottenham Hotspur, SSC Napoli, ESH
You guys are pretty restrained and polite - check our board after a loss. Best wishes for the rest of 2019.
Much different story to last week was last night, lol

Last night was one of those genuine 50-50 games, had we not fumbled at crucial times/cleaned up errors in the second half then the result may have been different, alas you guys were cleaner when it mattered and your two big guys in Grundy and Cox were influential as the game went on. I felt you set up behind the ball very well too, made it hard for us to find an outlet kick out of defence or hit targets inside 50, if we found a way through these barriers regularly, then again the result may have been different, alas the better team won in the end.

I think our gameplan to win was fine, just the execution wasn't quite there.

Mattdougie

Cancelled
10k Posts
Jun 29, 2013
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
I actually thought it was a good entertaining game - in general we played pretty well. Obviously I would have preferred we won it but Collingwood certainly turned up to play.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

The first half was some of the worst AFL level footy I’ve ever seen

Mattdougie

Cancelled
10k Posts
Jun 29, 2013
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
MD is quite capable of wording his own views without your patronising qualifying statements. I took his point and disagreed with it. I’m sure he will still sleep tonight.

Geez people arguing and it’s not with me whats going on? Lol

Anyway I’m not the huge wrap for McLean a lot on here are. He is a good players but far from the elite level some say he is. Regardless he is on the field so I expect him to get a kick. We can’t have 18 mids that swap through the forward line and his skill set should mean he can be a honest forward. He got absolutely schooled by Harbrow last week so much so we had to make a change. So far this year he has done zero and his form last year is irrelevant. If he continues playing the way he is he is on that list and deservedly so mate.

Geez people arguing and it’s not with me whats going on? Lol

Anyway I’m not the huge wrap for McLean a lot on here are. He is a good players but far from the elite level some say he is. Regardless he is on the field so I expect him to get a kick. We can’t have 18 mids that swap through the forward line and his skill set should mean he can be a honest forward. He got absolutely schooled by Harbrow last week so much so we had to make a change. So far this year he has done zero and his form last year is irrelevant. If he continues playing the way he is he is on that list and deservedly so mate.
That probably puts McLean in your top 3 then

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

stefoid

Brownlow Medallist
Mar 8, 2002
home
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Happy to start doing that once he gets stronger in the air, right now he needs to work on his contested marking, most of the time he just spoils/brings to ground on order not go get outmarked

Until then would only kick to him when in space if it's not the long ball down the line

The comparison shouldnt be to opposition talls but to opposition mids. We need to treat him like a mid, which means actually use him in handball chains or chip kick to him if he is in the best position. For a mid, he is a good mark (not a great one) just because v.tall, and we can also use him like a mid in that way as well - there is no reason why he cant run onto a kick, and then play on, even if there are opponents around.

getting slaughtered in the ruck and then being too scared to use him in general play is pointless. He has to be getting 25 possessions through the midfield to come out ahead.

BRWB

Brownlow Medallist
10k Posts The Cult of Robbo
Oct 7, 2012
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
You cannot judge a midfields worth without considering what a dominant ruckman brings to the table. Thats why Collingwoods midfield brigade is generally talked up more than ours. The fact is that we have a Big 3 with The Bont, Macrae and Libba being amongst the elite of the competition, it then trails off significantly to kids finding their way in the game in Smith and Richards or the likes of Wallis and Hunter who is in my view one of the least damaging high accumulators of the ball in the game. These two in particular have a propensity to kill momentum in its tracks with their slow loopy disposal by hand and foot or incision with ball in hand. Wallis at the very least ads a modicum of defensive pressure, something the flailing octopus Hunter just cannot manage. Running up and down the ground all night is all well and good, but its pointless if you cannot impact a contest when you get there.

Sorry needed to get that off my chest and your post seemed as good a place as any.

Can't say I am a Hunter fan and treat him like mid AA Boyd. Brings more good than bad despite his shitty kicking. Hunter plays a bit like Cross, playing in his limitations and slowing momentum in the process. Hunters running to provide an option is incredible although sometimes I wonder if teams are happy to let him run free.

But if Hunter is essential and given he is our B and F, he clearly is. Then I'm thinking more and more we can't carry both Wallis and Dunkley.

dcs84

Senior List
Apr 16, 2012
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
I am going to attempt the KISS method of identifying our two overwhelming flaws:
- Handballing into pressure
- Tackling over ball possession
It is a horribly stodgy brand of football that not only looks terrible but doesn't reap results ..... so you know....insult and injury.

Mattdougie

Cancelled
10k Posts
Jun 29, 2013
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Who is the second ruck MD?

I would take the risk with an underdone Boyd but the safer option in Trengove

With who is available and playing Carlton I’d bring Lewis Young in and use Cordy as the back up. I know it’s not optimal but at least Cordy will throw his body on and give Tim a rest.

I’d also drop Schache and go with Naughton and 5 smalls. Make Jones and Weitering man up smaller guys and not allow them to drop off.

I draw the line at my English language skills being criticised by a guy who doesn’t spell his own name with a capital letter.

You stated Lloyd was one of our worst players last night.

Someone else accused you of being completely wrong, going as far as to say that he was one of our best.

You said that the fact he was being talked about as one of our better performers shows just how poor we were.

If you cannot see how you’ve shifted your target with that sequence of events then you’ve got a problem.

I don’t have any great affinity for Lloyd. He was good in the first two games, poor last week and good again this time around. However it does annoy me when people are being unreasonable negative (or positive) and shifting the goalposts when they are called out on their bullshit.
So posters like you cause most of the issues on this board by making a discussion between 2 posters with differing opinions some sort of personal vendetta

Braybrook son did not call out bullshit he disagreed. I still disagree but accept he has a differing opinion.

He is not being a pompus twat by calling out bullshit that could be said about most opinions here.

In fact I am not even sure the point of your post, as the poster in question did not even say what you have said he has, in your post above you have not even quoted me correctly at all yet you are trying to make yourself out to be some kind of expert calling out non existent bullshit. Weird post

Enjoy your day.

With who is available and playing Carlton I’d bring Lewis Young in and use Cordy as the back up. I know it’s not optimal but at least Cordy will throw his body on and give Tim a rest.

I’d also drop Schache and go with Naughton and 5 smalls. Make Jones and Weitering man up smaller guys and not allow them to drop off.
Fair call

Gulliver72

Debutant
Apr 7, 2019
AFL Club
GWS
This was lost at the selection table. English solo rucking again, absolutely slaughtered at the stoppages. Dropping a tall defender for a small against a team with Mason Cox.

Bring back Monty.
From the outside a tap ruckman should be your priority. Archie Smith from Brisbane who isn’t getting a game could be a quick fix for next season

Guido

Premium Gold
Aug 18, 2004
Melbourne
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
Leros United
Never thought I’d say this but we need Tom Boyd back. Least he’s far more competitive in the middle.
I hate potting players, but I don't think this is as much a cheap pot shot as much as it's a statement of fact:
From everyone that watched the VFL yesterday, Boyd is nowhere near selection, yet I saw more intensity and hunger from Boyd in four seconds of a highlights clip from the VFL than I did from Schache in 4 quarters.

If he gets the minutes up and his head space and back are OK, I'd be aiming to bring Boyd in as a full time key forward and relief ruck after three more VFL games. Forget/ignore the investment, as long as his back issues aren't ongoing, there's no reason he can't be player 17-18-19-20 playing a Leigh Brown type role in a number of finals campaigns over the next 6-7 years as his floor. Anything above that, fantastic.

I'd keep English in the side, even when out-muscled and outworked, he stayed in the contest and stayed relevant outside of the ruck duties.

Schache needs to go back to the VFL and learn to treat every contest as if his career depends on it. He's shown enough towards the end of last year and round 2 to show he's got it in him, but unfortunately his "baseline" intensity when he's not focused is atrocious.

He's the type that will always need to concentrate in order to become at least passable in that area. It's not beyond him, but unfortunately these types that don't have hunger for the contest come naturally to them will typically revert to type/get found out in finals.

BRWB

Brownlow Medallist
10k Posts The Cult of Robbo
Oct 7, 2012
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Fair call

Lewis Young as our sole KPD scares me. Leave Cordy where he is Imo. Doubt Bev will do anything, doesn't GAF about ruckwork and ruckmen.

Guido

Premium Gold
Aug 18, 2004
Melbourne
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
Leros United
I am going to attempt the KISS method of identifying our two overwhelming flaws:
- Handballing into pressure
As a collective, our hands have turned to s**t across the last 2 seasons.

Two things I have never understood about our "handball club", post 2016:
a) Given it's amazing success, why we didn't take it to the next level (if it was a 1-2 hour a week thing at training, make it 3-4). I'm only going by on-field evidence, but other than 2/3 guys that have always been elite, clean one touch play and disposal by hand has fallen so far to actually be a weakness rather than a weapon.
b) Why the **** we let anyone outside of the club know about it

Anyone else believe that 'snicko' technology that was used for Suckling's goal. You've got to be kidding me?! 50,000 screaming and the ball hitting the post caused a huge wave length?! Laughable

Edit: not disputing the call, just the technology used to prove it
I think it's the vibration not the sound

Lewis Young as our sole KPD scares me. Leave Cordy where he is Imo. Doubt Bev will do anything, doesn't GAF about ruckwork and ruckmen.
Yeah agree. Dont really have a strong opinion as Selection never seems to follow bigfooty wisdom

Back