Review Round 4, 2019 - Essendon vs. Brisbane Lions

Who were your five best players against Essendon?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Well, we all knew that one was coming. And I'd rather have gotten it out of the way against the Bombers as opposed to any of the next three weeks. Hopefully we get back to our best for them. Recover the bodies, reset the minds, and come out fresh against the Pies.

Neale, Stef, Cluggs, Rich & Berry get my votes.

Do we bounce back against the Pies or do we become mentally scarred from a terrible defeat?

That's what is ahead of us now, we're fortunate that we're still 3-1 and have plenty to play for as ammunition to fire back next week.

We couldn't win every game but it's the manor in which we lost that sucks the most, now it's up to the boys to respond against the Pies and show us that we are the real deal and that this was just an off-day, rather than the first 3 weeks being an anomaly.

jackess

Cancelled
30k Posts 10k Posts
Aug 10, 2005
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
I don’t think we played much worse then we did in the last 2 weeks. Essendon played a lot better then any of our opponents so far.

We only had 3 less inside 50s.

If we finished better and AMT wasn’t playing at god level we might have had a similar result to the last 2 weeks.

Lyons, Rayner and NRobbo probably the first to be cut. Keays is the only one banging down the door so as a start he should come in for Rayner.

deklares

Premiership Player
Oct 7, 2009
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Liverpool FC, Robert Whittaker
Even Richmond lost to Adelaide by over 70pts in their premiership season. Not to say we will be premiers but even the best teams have poor weeks.

Neale, MRobbo, Clugga, Rich and Matho

It's either a good thing there's a lot of room for improvement from a number of players or worrying signs. I'm going for the former. First objective is get the midfield balance right.

RWFFFPT

Senior List
May 26, 2017
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
That was so deflating.

Not a moment in the game I felt excited. Nothing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

(Log in to remove this ad.)

M Malice

Hall of Famer
Aug 31, 2015
By the Gabba.
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Valleys. Chelsea.
I could only find 4 worth a vote, Rich, Neale, Walker and McCluggagge.

IMO we actually did well to only lose by 47 in the end, it could have got very ugly on the scoreboard.

I'm not worried at all unless we follow it up next Thursday with another performance like that. Every team has off games/halves/quarters, even the eventual premiers each year. I'm confident this team is made of sterner stuff and will rebound on Thursday in front of a full house at the Gabba, time to move on.

Oct 17, 2012
Midland
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Chicago Bulls
Classic case of a young team getting drunk off their own bathwater.

Purely self inflicted, Essendon were simply hungrier and worked far harder around the contest. The only thing I'm disappointed with is the complete lack of forward & midfield defensive pressure in the first half, the poor defenders were on a hiding to nothing.

The saving grace is that this was at the MCG were we always play poorly fro the past decade. Next week should be much better.

On moto g(6) play using BigFooty.com mobile app

M Malice

Hall of Famer
Aug 31, 2015
By the Gabba.
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Valleys. Chelsea.
Even Richmond lost to Adelaide by over 70pts in their premiership season. Not to say we will be premiers but even the best teams have poor weeks.

Neale, MRobbo, Clugga, Rich and Matho

It's either a good thing there's a lot of room for improvement from a number of players or a worrying signs..
Great minds think alike dek.:thumbsu: Not all doom and gloom from me.

jackess

Cancelled
30k Posts 10k Posts
Aug 10, 2005
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Classic case of a young team getting drunk off their own bathwater.

Purely self inflicted, Essendon were simply hungrier and worked far harder around the contest. The only thing I'm disappointed with is the complete lack of forward & midfield defensive pressure in the first half, the poor defenders were on a hiding to nothing.

The saving grace is that this was at the MCG were we always play poorly fro the past decade. Next week should be much better.

Not sure it was the case. It was the older guys that let us down. Zorko, Lyons, Cameron, Walker, Bundy, etc.

Hirsty23

Team Captain
Apr 26, 2015
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
I was pissed off about 5 minutes into the game and i've been pissed off ever since. Been a while since we've shown that lack of intensity. Could tell very early in that game that we were in for a long day. Oh well, next week.

Oct 17, 2012
Midland
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Chicago Bulls
I disagree Jackess, our finishing around goals was noticeably worse today, very little composure from our key forward players.
I don’t think we played much worse then we did in the last 2 weeks. Essendon played a lot better then any of our opponents so far.

We only had 3 less inside 50s.

If we finished better and AMT wasn’t playing at god level we might have had a similar result to the last 2 weeks.

Lyons, Rayner and NRobbo probably the first to be cut. Keays is the only one banging down the door so as a start he should come in for Rayner.

pOleK

Professional Couch Observer
Oct 27, 2014
Tbar
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
FC Barcelona, Atlanta Hawks
That was so deflating.

Not a moment in the game I felt excited. Nothing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I mean the first 2 minutes when Charlie ran into an open goal to put us in front but hit the boundary post got me off my seat before I slowly descended into salt mode.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Back