Review Rd 4: Port vs Richmond

Remove this Banner Ad

Under Hinkley it never changes lots of flashes of brilliance but when it comes to it no heart or substance to it. We will never be a consistent top 4 team under Hinkley, after 7 years that is clear. If that is the goal long term then why keep Hinkley.

Koch and KT should be sacked for giving him another 4 year contract. They both have done nothing for this club. I don’t give a s**t about the community, I care about premierships.

60 more disposals and twice the hitouts against an opponent missing their four best players and we pull that out of our a**ses. The same number of I50 and we even kicked straight. Two dodgy decisions but many many more missed ... well they're not 'opportunities' if you haven't done anything yet. That's another game lost at selection and by an inability to adjust things just *slightly* on game day. We can do the big change, from manic to soporific and back again, and it's obvious when we're thinking so hard about football when Ken has asked for it at a break that we **** the occasional howling clanger. But just changing the mix of forwards to better suit us bombing it in, or stopping us from getting sucked too far into contests, that seems beyond the coaching box's abilities.

Nice to see a howler free evening from Bonner and a better night from Doogs.

Sam Gray, was that the worst 3 goal game ever? At least you nailed what landed near you, well done.

Houston, We Don't Have A Problem. Boak's happy renaissance continues. Along with Rocky our best three on the night.

Ebert is a strong bugger in a marking contest who knows bugger all about being smart in a marking contest. Honestly hardery he is. I can see why we want to use him as a forward but we need one more tall strong and smart pair of hands up there to make the opening dangerous for both of them.

Motlop should absolutely be dropped after a non-effort like that. Westhoff I think we need to persevere and [broken record alert:] plant either him or Doogs up forward. Concerned about the 1:1 matchups in defence... if we let WC midfield have an even run in things next week it could be a massacre.

Good to see Drew adjust and be more involved this week even as Wines improves.

Rozee and Duursma got me excited in the last quarter. The result is not their fault but after all this time ... I should have known better.

---

I've been neutral on the co-captain thing but I've finally jumped off the fence post because my %^&* is hurting.

The board should take the Judgement of Solomon approach to end once and for all the two-underperforming-captains dilemma this week.

Put the two in a room, tell them they are each going to be the captain of half the players on the team, but one of them will be dropped this week. First one who says "no, for the sake of the club let the other guy have the captaincy, drop me this week and keep us united" gets to be captain and to play R5.

Inspired by the famous story...
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Judgment_of_Solomon

OK Jonas and Wines weren't that bad tonight but for senior players, never mind *captains* the odd WTF moments are just too regular.

---

Not sure even Solomon could help us with Hinkley and his game day impotence. In the end, we're a laughing stock again this week, without even being very incompetent. Hinkley really has molded our club into the "new Richmond" in terms of the outcomes we deliver. Well the old Ninthmond I mean. The playing group and fans deserve much better.

Edit: which wit got BF to autocorrect “Ninth-mond” to “Premiershipmond”? Well played...

Last edited:
“You went in unchanged. Two losses, do you think you’ll make changes now?”

“We’ll look at who’s available and if there’s an opportunity to improve the side, win or lose, we’ll take it.”

What happened to looking at what the players had done previously, campaigner? Don’t want to give them a second and third chance now you saw what they did with it, do you?

Yeah, didn’t think so.

Are you serious. He's been good for us. It's not his fault we didn't have forward to at least bring the ball to ground.

It's called "selection", and "making changes on match day to adjust to what is happening".

Both things are in Ken's hands more so than anyone else's.

EDIT: just read what you were replying to. I hate it when folks use cancer as a metaphor.

Last edited:
I have no words for it, but I'm not shocked at all.

We were beaten by a better coached side, without 4 of their best and a few more of their key players and we handed them a sniff at the selection table.

This club is coached by a complete idiot. A stubborn fool who has the board bluffed by bullshit, and they fell hard for it.

Unfortunately it will be us fans that will suffer, and the board and head coach don't give two shits about us. They've proven it, so we sit where we were headed in the pre season. It's a complete joke, and won't be a fun ride until Hinkley is gone.

Not going to comment on the game here, but just say that as a long time Richmond fan, I feel your pain at losing a 'sure thing'.

For your sake, I hope this gives the players/coaches/etc a kick up the arse and they lift from here on.

“You went in unchanged. Two losses, do you think you’ll make changes now?”

“We’ll look at who’s available and if there’s an opportunity to improve the side, win or lose, we’ll take it.”

What happened to looking at what the players had done previously, campaigner? Don’t want to give them a second and third chance now you saw what they did with it, do you?

Yeah, didn’t think so.
He can't bloody coach....end of story. He isn't a innovator, or anything resembling a good coach. He is what our weak board deserved when they shat the bed when they extended his contract. We all have to suffer it now.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Not going to comment on the game here, but just say that as a long time Richmond fan, I feel your pain at losing a 'sure thing'.

For your sake, I hope this gives the players/coaches/etc a kick up the arse and they lift from here on.

Thanks for the sentiments but if a loss like this didn't give them the kick up the arse the first 67 times, it probably won't do the trick on the 68th time.

Under Hinkley it never changes lots of flashes of brilliance but when it comes to it no heart or substance to it. We will never be a consistent top 4 team under Hinkley, after 7 years that is clear. If that is the goal long term then why keep Hinkley.

Koch and KT should be sacked for giving him another 4 year contract. They both have done nothing for this club. I don’t give a s**t about the community, I care about premierships.
Screenshot_20190413-080226.png

Are you serious. He's been good for us. It's not his fault we didn't have forward to at least bring the ball to ground.
You do realise that he endorsed Ken - Ken's the guy who failed to have tall forwards playing yet continued with a rancid style of forward entry.

From AFL.com.au

HOW DID Richmond pull off the impossible?
It would've been ridiculous at the start of the season to think the Tigers – expected to give the 2019 premiership a serious shake – would start massive outsiders to travel to Adelaide and beat a Port Adelaide side that has shown glimpses of quality, but has yet to string it together consistently.
Then again, no-one counted on the 2017 premiers being without their four big guns for the round four encounter.
No Dustin Martin + no Trent Cotchin + no Jack Riewoldt + no Alex Rance = a Tigers defeat.
Or so we thought.
The equation many footy mathematicians had in their consideration didn't factor in a gun recruit, under-rated veterans standing up and youngsters rising to the occasion.
The seven-point, 15.9 (99) to 14.8 (92) win against the Power on Saturday night was a mighty victory, the type a season can be built around.

How many backs against the wall, wins against the odds type games have we gifted the opposition over the last five years? Absolutely makes me sick and I really wonder when the media will catch on that, if a game is there to be lost, we will lose it.

We are a weak and spineless organisation with pathetic leadership top to bottom. We deserve to be mocked and mentioned in the same breath as clubs like Fremantle and Melbourne.

This group of players have shown year in year out they are just not good enough.
End of story.
Yet give this exact team (or any of our variety of team lists for the past 5 years) any number of the current AFL coaches as their coach for a few weeks and we would see a drastically different team out there.

When are people going to realise that a whole team doesn't become s**t overnight. It has to do with the structures, training, coaching.

Oh, we've groundhog dayed our way to too many of these losses to count. It definitely won't spur anyone at the club into lifting.

Does anyone have Rockliff meters gained stats.
Loving his ball winning ability but needs to start becoming more damaging. Seemed alot of sideways chippy meaningless stuff the last two weeks.

This week he had 243 meters gained. Last week 171.

He is an accumulator. He is designed to get the ball and distribute. However, 6.6 meters gained per disposal average tonight is terrible and shows why teams don't bother tagging him.

You cannot defend that game by Jonas tonight. He was horrific.

Why "defend" when you can simply "describe"?

You're overreacting to a few WTF clangers that I'll agree you shouldn't expect from your bloody captain. That bloody "telegraphed" kick... but I thought he was decent otherwise. Like Boak much of last year, contributing but clearly down on his best, leading to condemnation for being regularly caught HTB when trying to do to much ... because "WTF clanger, that you don't expect from your bloody captain". That story has a happy next chapter. Think Jonas and Wines will both get back to their best soon.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back