Autopsy Derby 49: Too much weights, not enough speed work. - Rd 4, 2019

Remove this Banner Ad

OayCfIC.gif

Think they rate his disposal very highly and think he's better off rebounding. In reality, he played one very good game from half back, but that's it, just one game. At any other team he'd be in the middle and coaches would be drooling over him. Just defies logic why we won't put the classiest 19 year old in his original position.
What is it do you reckon? He’s needed more in defence or they don’t rate him as a mid?

Can't put to words how frustrating and ridiculous it is how badly we're wasting Cerra. I'd love to see him starting in the middle to start the match, he has the ability to impact games and will develop 1000% quicker that way ffs!
We have two mids as half backs. Conca have no business being in the defensive half.
That turnover at 3 quarter time kills our momentum.

Yeah that's a cop out from Lyon re kicking.

Even if you only improve the effectiveness of a player's kicking by 5% with an increased focus at training, surely it's worthwhile at least trying. Particularly when poor disposal has plagued us for so long.

Effort only gets you so far, as we saw today.

They did, but we stifled their run and led to a lot of dinky back-line kicks sideways and backwards. Ross got the points over Simpson tonight.
Some bigger bodies, better understanding between our players and some straight kicking, and we win that.

Nah. They controlled most of the game and lead all night. They had much better forward 50 efficiency and dominated clearances. We shut a lot of their run down but they always had our measure.

Almost switched it off at 1 goal 9 behinds. God that is frustrating. Tabs one 20m directly in front made me want to punch stuff.

Overall I'm happy. After quarter time we didn't let them play, that is a good sign. If we do it for 4 quarters next time we will win.

If you're melting over that loss, IMO you have you expectations all out of whack.

Even if you only improve the effectiveness of a player's kicking by 5% with an increased focus at training, surely it's worthwhile at least trying. Particularly when poor kicking has plagued us for so long.

Mundy is our most skillful player. We needed another. And Cerra is off half back. The longer this goes, the more Cerra will want to leave. Just play him in his position and move on.
We miss S Hill run off half back. Conca and Cerra are NOT half hackers. Definitely not Conca.

Think they rate his disposal very highly and think he's better off rebounding. In reality, he played one very good game from half back, but that's it, just one game. At any other team he'd be in the middle and coaches would be drooling over him. Just defies logic why we won't put the classiest 19 year old in his original position.

Dude. Quote first, then your reply

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Nah Simpson outplayed him again. Chose a smarter, well structured plan.
Ross likes efforts and hardness against that plan.
I was agreeing Simpson outplayed Ross. Besides the game plan, I believe our skills under pressure and set shots for goal are shite and Ross has to carry the can for that.

Edit. I've only just seen the twee above from Ross that the players have to "own their own craft and kick better" and call bs. Anyone can kick down at the park and be champions and that's Ok but that's not the pressure you come across in a game and skills under pressure is Ross responsibility. So "own your own craft" Ross and do something about it!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Mundy is our most skillful player. We needed another. And Cerra is off half back. The longer this goes, the more Cerra will want to leave. Just play him in his position and move on.
We miss S Hill run off half back. Conca and Cerra are NOT half hackers. Definitely not Conca.

I understand there are things we aren't privy to inside a football club, but it doesn't make much sense to me using Conca off half back when he was apparently a stop-gap for Neale and Richmond fans seemed to think he would flourish playing an inside role.

Don't mind Cerra off half back for the time being, provided he transitions into the midfield ala Mundy back in 06. At least there's logic behind leaving him there and using his skills as a springboard going forward.

In the end, we don't have enough consistently good kicks across every line to be a real threat at the moment.

I was agreeing Simpson outplayed Ross. Besides the game plan, I believe our skills under pressure and set shots for goal are shite and Ross has to carry the can for that.
Because we’re scrambling, trying to put pressure pressure. West coast just have more energy. They know who’s going in and who’s waiting I50. Kennedy kicked a casual 3. He did nothing else all game. But 3 goals. That’s what a forward should do.
We have Hogan up the ground trying to tackle, McCarthy putting pressure on and Tabs everywhere. No wonder why we can’t score. Defensive pressure is pushing our players out of their comfort and talent zone.
Ross shouldn’t be coaching this list.

Because we’re scrambling, trying to put pressure pressure. West coast just have more energy. They know who’s going in and who’s waiting I50. Kennedy kicked a casual 3. He did nothing else all game. But 3 goals. That’s what a forward should do.
We have Hogan up the ground trying to tackle, McCarthy putting pressure on and Tabs everywhere. No wonder why we can’t score. Defensive pressure is pushing our players out of their comfort and talent zone.
Ross shouldn’t be coaching this list.

Yep. Totally agree.

How about letting our forwards play and maximise their strengths.

We bloody lost the 2013 GF because of s**t forward connection and bad kicking and here we are almost 6 years later and we are still losing games because of s**t forward connection and bad kicking.

Almost switched it off at 1 goal 9 behinds. God that is frustrating. Tabs one 20m directly in front made me want to punch stuff.

Overall I'm happy. After quarter time we didn't let them play, that is a good sign. If we do it for 4 quarters next time we will win.

If you're melting over that loss, IMO you have you expectations all out of whack.
Well the game was there to be won. But 1.9 with this defensive pressure gameplan. Remember a certain game in 2013? That’s nearly 6 years ago, yet doing the same thing over again with different list.

Even if you only improve the effectiveness of a player's kicking by 5% with an increased focus at training, surely it's worthwhile at least trying. Particularly when poor disposal has plagued us for so long.

That's basically his whole mantra, effort/structures over skill... I just don't understand it. He must see that we're one of the worst skilled sides in the comp, why is that?

I'm loving this direct style of play but unless we sort out the skills we're going no where. Teams like WC will always have the wood on us because their game-plan allows them so much more control over the contest. If we don't get reward from all this direct play we'll just be run off our feet because we've got no ability to slow down/control the game.

Positives:
  1. Mundy - an ageless performance;
  2. Brayshaw - kid's gonna be a week in week out machine for us;
  3. The effort was there all night;
  4. Cam Mac continues to kick goals and does it under pressure;
  5. Hogan is looking a bit better each week;
  6. Lobb got beaten in the ruck but was pretty good around the ground;
  7. Ryan plays like a 150 game veteran;
  8. Alex Pearce is an athletic freak.
Negatives:
  1. Goalkicking;
  2. Conca and Colyer give effort but their skills are suspect under pressure;
  3. Tabs - so good a times but FMBD he's frustrating;
  4. Hammer getting injured - we missed him badly;
  5. A few times when two of our boys contested the same ball.
I don't think we're a million miles away. I suspect we'll be in the pack that's between 6th and 12th.

What did everyone think of the Eagles skills in the last quarter? They were s**t - multiples kicks out on the full and more than a couple of sorry I kicked it over your head mate. They also struggled picking up ground balls in the second half. Funny what pressure does.

Positives:
  1. Mundy - an ageless performance;
  2. Brayshaw - kid's gonna be a week in week out machine for us;
  3. The effort was there all night;
  4. Cam Mac continues to kick goals and does it under pressure;
  5. Hogan is looking a bit better each week;
  6. Lobb got beaten in the ruck but was pretty good around the ground;
  7. Ryan plays like a 150 game veteran;
  8. Alex Pearce is an athletic freak.
Negatives:
  1. Goalkicking;
  2. Conca and Colyer give effort but their skills are suspect under pressure;
  3. Tabs - so good a times but FMBD he's frustrating;
  4. Hammer getting injured - we missed him badly;
  5. A few times when two of our boys contested the same ball.
I don't think we're a million miles away. I suspect we'll be in the pack that's between 6th and 12th.

What did everyone think of the Eagles skills in the last quarter? They were s**t - multiples kicks out on the full and more than a couple of sorry I kicked it over your head mate. They also struggled picking up ground balls in the second half. Funny what pressure does.
They’re not as good as everyone think they are. But have to have a good pressure with a game plan behind it. We have one but not the other.
I mean their mids Redden, Masten, Sheed are B graders. But their game plan stands up again and again. It’s their defence they pride themselves on. In the first quarter, it was clear as day. Defence makes the dream work. I mean they have Cripps, Petrucelle and Ryan ffs. Hardly world beating small forwards. But again Simpson has them structured and well drilled. Ross doesn’t has that, he’s either too stubborn to do it or won’t swallow his pride and move on with the times.

I mean they have Cripps, Petrucelle and Ryan ffs. Hardly world beating small forwards.
All 3 of them would walk into our team imo. Cripps is a pretty good player, Petrucelle is an extremely promising young player and Ryan is obviously very talented.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back