Past #13: Jared Polec - delisted end '21 - redrafted w/ #1 in '21 RD - re-delisted end '22 - 42 NM games/20 NM goals

He certainly doesn’t get sucked into contests. That’s ok. It’s not his go. He’s the cherry on top. He’ll never drag us out of a hole. He needs our midfield to be on top to have an impact

That's why we got him tho, to thrive off the midfield not win the ball himself.

Billy Not Really

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 7, 2018
Licking windows at the back of the bus.
AFL Club
North Melbourne
To understand Jared Polecs game requires watching plays that involve him around the contest or involved several times over. It's the kind of game that yes, is not a defensive powerhouse but is the 100% guarantee bail out option or one who protects space.

On Sunday, Polec was on the outside there to be utilized once again and just like moments in the JLT, players just didn't see him or didn't opt to go for him. Polec should be having as much entries i50 as anyone else, its what hes there for and he'll be available to do so. His tank is impressive he can run all day and get to both ends and be where he needs to be before the ball gets there.

I hope the coaching staff are looking at how Polec plays and thinking the same thing I'm thinking which is; why aren't we using this guy more often, not to be dependent on him per se but why aren't we looking for him when the ball is needed to move forward. It's the same issue as what happened with Aaron Hall, if you're not using what he's there for, why bother even having him.

Obviously these are things to learn in time, but adapt on this quickly North and you'll get the jump on most teams.
With that said, he was solid despite all this and he racks up possessions to make good use of it often. He'll be consistent as I said.

kaboom kid

From the River to the Sea, Israel will be free.
Apr 28, 2016
Destination club
AFL Club
North Melbourne
To understand Jared Polecs game requires watching plays that involve him around the contest or involved several times over. It's the kind of game that yes, is not a defensive powerhouse but is the 100% guarantee bail out option or one who protects space.

On Sunday, Polec was on the outside there to be utilized once again and just like moments in the JLT, players just didn't see him or didn't opt to go for him. Polec should be having as much entries i50 as anyone else, its what hes there for and he'll be available to do so. His tank is impressive he can run all day and get to both ends and be where he needs to be before the ball gets there.

I hope the coaching staff are looking at how Polec plays and thinking the same thing I'm thinking which is; why aren't we using this guy more often, not to be dependent on him per se but why aren't we looking for him when the ball is needed to move forward. It's the same issue as what happened with Aaron Hall, if you're not using what he's there for, why bother even having him.

Obviously these are things to learn in time, but adapt on this quickly North and you'll get the jump on most teams.
With that said, he was solid despite all this and he racks up possessions to make good use of it often. He'll be consistent as I said.
He was very impressive watching at the ground on Sunday. Covers so much ground and constantly provides an option. He's clearly got a massive tank but he is also very clever with his running patterns. Doesn't seem to waste much effort. With his disposal he almost always chooses the right option, intelligent player. I suspect he will end up being a better pick up than Gaff, his kicking is more penetrating and he kicks long goals plus he has that line breaking pace.

Roo Beauty

Norm Smith Medallist
May 16, 2015
AFL Club
North Melbourne
4 disposals in the 2nd half.

*6, but I agree with the sentiment Snake. Brisbane did a great job of nullifying both he and Hall in the second half, and of course we also failed to utilise them as much, ala Jack not handballing to Polec in the last.

Apr 16, 2007
Warragul
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Yeah that was great. Polec on his left running into 50, why would you give it to him?
That would have put us in front. WTF was Ziebell thinking? He looked at Polec then chose to kick it into the opposite forward pocket. That will be the worst play of the year by any of our players. Total brain fade from the captain!

Passmore

Brownlow Medallist
May 22, 2001
The Gasometer Wing
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Norf
That would have put us in front. WTF was Ziebell thinking? He looked at Polec then chose to kick it into the opposite forward pocket. That will be the worst play of the year by any of our players. Total brain fade from the captain!

I’m pretty sure my exact words at the time were “what the * was he thinking?”

Sep 21, 2008
Vic
AFL Club
North Melbourne
He’d be hating life right now in north colours.

Busting his ass to get to space, but gets burnt way more often than he gets used.

In the 2nd quarter he gave JMAC a bake. Polec busted his backside to get to open space on the opposite side of the ground, Jmac looked straight at him and kicked long down the line to a 2 v 1 on Campbell. Hawthorn clear easily for another inside 50. Polec was left shaking his head.

jclei

Club Legend
Dec 22, 2010
Forward 50
AFL Club
North Melbourne
So far i think he is a great pickup - he is a very good footballer.

I really hope he continues to make his voice known to both the playing group and hopefully the coaches because he is always making the right runs into space and is so often ignored its just crazy. This guy should be our version of Whitfield and given the ball on the wing or back of the square at every possible opportunity. Ive also seen him giving a few sprays - he must be pretty sick of the guys ignoring his runs- happening way too often

Jun 9, 2001
Fogarty Street
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
St Johnstone
Very talented player but if you look really closely there are some encouraging signs on him becoming a Brad Scott coached player.

Starting to fumble more. A little bit of uncertainty creeping into his disposal. Gradually starting to commit disposal clangers.

By mid year if there's been no coaching change expect him to start selling blokes into trouble with his disposal and no longer being able to kick over 45m.

Watching him yesterday was a fantastic virtual world way of seeing how Isaac Smith would've devolved under our structure as discussed last week.

R00StaR

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 3, 2003
Asgard
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Kangaroos
I thought the commentators were spot on in naming him as one of the guys really working hard to get back into it in the third. Doing the leadership type things when leadership is called upon, great to see. He'll only get better.

Thewlis Dish

Cancelled
10k Posts
Sep 9, 2003
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
FGR
We won't see the best of him until he has something to kick to, but he's a terrific footballer.

Back