Autopsy Derby 49: Too much weights, not enough speed work. - Rd 4, 2019

Cesoir

Club Legend
Feb 11, 2019
Cairns
AFL Club
Fremantle
We were horrendously inaccurate, but that is a lot to do with playing against a well drilled team which has great defensive structures. Back in the "good old days" we used to regularly make the Eagles' skills look poor too, because we had the structure and they were in a rebuild. We pushed them all the way without a few of our stars, just lacked composure - that will come with time playing together...

1555169642763.png

Benzi10

Senior List
Apr 23, 2014
Réunion island
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Olympique Lyonnais
Terrible first quarter, we could've won this game easy if we kick like professionals are supposed to. Still we matched the premiers for 3 quaters so there is some positives to come out that. Hated the eagles gameplan, people say our 2013-2015 era was sh*t to watch but i'll say that i rather watch a defencive slog than this chippy chip bruise free pass it around the back football the eagles dished.

Fyfe would have made a massive difference tonight but that's our luck. We are carrying some serious spuds on our list and it showed tonight. We managed to cover the loss of Hamling reasonably well. We werre well dominated in the ruck again. Inside 50 entries are still the main consern but i saw patches in the last two quaters that we are capable at lowering our eyes so i wish we did it more often.

Very pleased how we finished the game after a 6 day break.

Queue "the bad kicking is bad" football cliché but to be fair there were a few rushed behinds and snaps with low probalility. But some s**t kicks for goal as well.

-Mundy: Very good game, gee i wish Nat was there to support him. Played his guts out and did exactly what we expect him to do. 10 clearances 36 disposals can't ask for more than that.
8.5/10

-Pearce: 100% total game time, played well on kennedy, not really at fault for the 3 goals he kicked on him. Loved the KB handpass to himself out of defence.
7.5/10

-Walters: Played well, very good last quarter. 8 tackles for the game. Doesn't get freekicks anymore but he has only himself to blame.
7/10

-Ryan: The eagles made sure not to do what the saints did last sunday so he didn't have a chance to intercept. Can be undiscipline at times giving away cheap free kicks. 100% DE out of 19 disposal is impresive. Not a bad game all taking everything into account.
7/10

-Hill: Not as good as last week but still one of the better players on our side today. He is essential to our team, touch a massive bit of f***** wood he doesn't get injured.
7/10

-Cerra: Wasted across half back but i get why Ross puts him there as we need some quality kicks and by quality i don't mean longs 60m bombs to no one, i mean hit a target quality. We need a Duffield or a Roger Hayden across there as it seem to be a weak spot on our list. Back on Cerra he still did a good job but he isn't quick enouth to take on small forwards.
7/10

-Switkowski: Has to stay in the team for next week, love his pace, didn't manage to get a lot of it in the forward 50 but got his hands to it more in the midfield. Would be more usefull than Coyler on the wing.
7/10

-McCarthy: Decent game, good skills, he is acutally the fowards i trust the most when kicking for goal.
7/10

-Matera: Not as good as last week but did enouth to keep his spot.I had lost faith in him in the past but he has been alright since coming back from his suspension.
6.5/10

-Langdon: He is trying hard to fill the hole Neale left. Unfortunatly puts to much pressure on himself. Seriously needs to clean up his disposals. Way better as a wingman than a follower as he is strugles to use his pace in congested areas.
6.5/10

-Hogan: Took some nice marks, but same problems as last week. Seems a bit unfit, slow and lumbering. Still nice to see him kick his first goal for the club. Not fit enouth to run in the midfield. Don't like how we are using him.
6/10

-Brayshaw: Same as last week, good grunt but a clear lack of polish. Rushes his disposals to often. Only 2 tackles for the game but that because the eagles were very good with their kicks throught the middle.
6/10

-Lobb: Very average game from him, clearly not a fulltime Ruckman.
5.5/10

-Tabener: THAT 15 METERS MISS FROM DIRECTLY IN FRONT IS UNACCEPTABLE :mad::thumbsdown::thumbsdown::thumbsdown::thumbsdown::thumbsdown::rainbow:. Got his hands on the ball, took some good contested grabs, important to our structure but again showed why he will be nothing more than a servicable player for us. He is built like a tank, can run all day, has a decent set of hands but his glaring weakness is something we will never be able to change: his brain; Just a plain dumb footballer will use his athletic abilities well but will always f**k it up with his decision making. AND 45% DE!!!!! (the worst is our team btw). And absolutly awfull in the ruck.
5/10

-Hughes: Didn't start the game well, looked lost in defence at time. Improved a bit as the game went on. Don't know if he will make at AFL level.
5/10

-Duman: Hard to rate because he was unsighted but considering we didn't concede many goals i guess he did his job.
5/10

-Tucker: Looked so promising in the JLT but a real let down today, i expect much more from him, especially because he is a good user of the footy so has to find more of the ball.
4.5/10

-Schultz: Struggled massively all day. Missed a very easy set shot. Deer in the headlights at times. Still some nice field kicks on rare occasions.
4/10

-Conca: Well, the perfect example on how very few actions can cost a team very dearly. There is no word to describe how sh*t that turnover was with 30 sec left in the 3rd quater, i mean... there is 30 sec left and you decide to take a risk with a s**t 15 m sideway kick directly to the opposition ????? JUST KICK IT DOWN THE LINE TO A PACK LIKE YOU ALWAYS SEEM TO DO YOU FLOG!!!!! literally cost us the game killed our great momentum, imagine how deflating that must have been to the team. He did extremely sh*t moments in the last quater as well when the game was in the blalance. Talk about a leader, leaders do the right things at important times you spud.
3/10

-Wilson: How bad can things get with him? It looks like he is getting worst by the week. Looks devoid of confidence in his kicking abiity. Soft as butter, doesn't chase and can't tackle. Surely needs a run in the 2s, because at the moment he is a liability.
2.5/10

-Colyer: Detrimental to the team, we will never move foward with him in our best 22. He is the most fumbly player i ve seen i reckon. It was hilarious and sad... to watch him fumble his way backwards from the centre square to beyond our defencive 50, yet to see his speed, terrible decision maker, all around bad footballer.
:poo::poo::poo:/10

GoFreo4eva

Freo Tragic Since the Beginning
Sep 15, 2013
AFL Club
Fremantle
Mundy is our most skillful player. We needed another. And Cerra is off half back. The longer this goes, the more Cerra will want to leave. Just play him in his position and move on.
We miss S Hill run off half back. Conca and Cerra are NOT half hackers. Definitely not Conca.
And yet he turned it over in the last q to give them an easy goal.. Apparently using your flawed logic it’s all Ross’ fault that he did this. Give me a spell mate. Your expectations are so off the mark it is ridiculous. Conca had to go back when Hamling went down...

GoFreo4eva

Freo Tragic Since the Beginning
Sep 15, 2013
AFL Club
Fremantle
Well the game was there to be won. But 1.9 with this defensive pressure gameplan. Remember a certain game in 2013? That’s nearly 6 years ago, yet doing the same thing over again with different list.
How is it you are still convinced this is a defensive game plan when we had more shots on goal? You are stuck on the idea that Ross knows no other way but really there was so much to like. Once the forwards start working each other out just a little better and stop spoiling each other we will score more heavily.

There is seriously something wrong with you if all you saw faults tonight. Far from great but a lot to work with I think....

Sep 22, 2011
Perth
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Liverpool FC, Washington Wizards
Terrible first quarter, we could've won this game easy if we kick like professionals are supposed to. Still we matched the premiers for 3 quaters so there is some positives to come out that. Hated the eagles gameplan, people say our 2013-2015 era was sh*t to watch but i'll say that i rather watch a defencive slog than this chippy chip bruise free pass it around the back football the eagles dished.

Fyfe would have made a massive difference tonight but that's our luck. We are carrying some serious spuds on our list and it showed tonight. We managed to cover the loss of Hamling reasonably well. We werre well dominated in the ruck again. Inside 50 entries are still the main consern but i saw patches in the last two quaters that we are capable at lowering our eyes so i wish we did it more often.

Very pleased how we finished the game after a 6 day break.

Queue "the bad kicking is bad" football cliché but to be fair there were a few rushed behinds and snaps with low probalility. But some s**t kicks for goal as well.

-Mundy: Very good game, gee i wish Nat was there to support him. Played his guts out and did exactly what we expect him to do. 10 clearances 36 disposals can't ask for more than that.
8.5/10

-Pearce: 100% total game time, played well on kennedy, not really at fault for the 3 goals he kicked on him. Loved the KB handpass to himself out of defence.
7.5/10

-Walters: Played well, very good last quarter. 8 tackles for the game. Doesn't get freekicks anymore but he has only himself to blame.
7/10

-Ryan: The eagles made sure not to do what the saints did last sunday so he didn't have a chance to intercept. Can be undiscipline at times giving away cheap free kicks. 100% DE out of 19 disposal is impresive. Not a bad game all taking everything into account.
7/10

-Hill: Not as good as last week but still one of the better players on our side today. He is essential to our team, touch a massive bit of f***** wood he doesn't get injured.
7/10

-Cerra: Wasted across half back but i get why Ross puts him there as we need some quality kicks and by quality i don't mean longs 60m bombs to no one, i mean hit a target quality. We need a Duffield or a Roger Hayden across there as it seem to be a weak spot on our list. Back on Cerra he still did a good job but he isn't quick enouth to take on small forwards.
7/10

-Switkowski: Has to stay in the team for next week, love his pace, didn't manage to get a lot of it in the forward 50 but got his hands to it more in the midfield. Would be more usefull than Coyler on the wing.
7/10

-McCarthy: Decent game, good skills, he is acutally the fowards i trust the most when kicking for goal.
7/10

-Matera: Not as good as last week but did enouth to keep his spot.I had lost faith in him in the past but he has been alright since coming back from his suspension.
6.5/10

-Langdon: He is trying hard to fill the hole Neale left. Unfortunatly puts to much pressure on himself. Seriously needs to clean up his disposals. Way better as a wingman than a follower as he is strugles to use his pace in congested areas.
6.5/10

-Hogan: Took some nice marks, but same problems as last week. Seems a bit unfit, slow and lumbering. Still nice to see him kick his first goal for the club. Not fit enouth to run in the midfield. Don't like how we are using him.
6/10

-Brayshaw: Same as last week, good grunt but a clear lack of polish. Rushes his disposals to often. Only 2 tackles for the game but that because the eagles were very good with their kicks throught the middle.
6/10

-Lobb: Very average game from him, clearly not a fulltime Ruckman.
5.5/10

-Tabener: THAT 15 METERS MISS FROM DIRECTLY IN FRONT IS UNACCEPTABLE :mad::thumbsdown::thumbsdown::thumbsdown::thumbsdown::thumbsdown::rainbow:. Got his hands on the ball, took some good contested grabs, important to our structure but again showed why he will be nothing more than a servicable player for us. He is built like a tank, can run all day, has a decent set of hands but his glaring weakness is something we will never be able to change: his brain; Just a plain dumb footballer will use his athletic abilities well but will always f**k it up with his decision making. AND 45% DE!!!!! (the worst is our team btw). And absolutly awfull in the ruck.
5/10

-Hughes: Didn't start the game well, looked lost in defence at time. Improved a bit as the game went on. Don't know if he will make at AFL level.
5/10

-Duman: Hard to rate because he was unsighted but considering we didn't concede many goals i guess he did his job.
5/10

-Tucker: Looked so promising in the JLT but a real let down today, i expect much more from him, especially because he is a good user of the footy so has to find more of the ball.
4.5/10

-Schultz: Struggled massively all day. Missed a very easy set shot. Deer in the headlights at times. Still some nice field kicks on rare occasions.
4/10

-Conca: Well, the perfect example on how very few actions can cost a team very dearly. There is no word to describe how sh*t that turnover was with 30 sec left in the 3rd quater, i mean... there is 30 sec left and you decide to take a risk with a s**t 15 m sideway kick directly to the opposition ????? JUST KICK IT DOWN THE LINE TO A PACK LIKE YOU ALWAYS SEEM TO DO YOU FLOG!!!!! literally cost us the game killed our great momentum, imagine how deflating that must have been to the team. He did extremely sh*t moments in the last quater as well when the game was in the blalance. Talk about a leader, leaders do the right things at important times you spud.
3/10

-Wilson: How bad can things get with him? It looks like he is getting worst by the week. Looks devoid of confidence in his kicking abiity. Soft as butter, doesn't chase and can't tackle. Surely needs a run in the 2s, because at the moment he is a liability.
2.5/10

-Colyer: Detrimental to the team, we will never move foward with him in our best 22. He is the most fumbly player i ve seen i reckon. It was hilarious and sad... to watch him fumble his way backwards from the centre square to beyond our defencive 50, yet to see his speed, terrible decision maker, all around bad footballer.
:poo::poo::poo:/10
Hogan was worst then what you suggest. Way off in terms of positonrong and understanding Freo defensive plan. Looks lost and does too much.
Tabs was better. His decision making up til tonight has been great. Out night, but still 20 disposal, 8 marks and 2 goals. Could’ve had 4 or 5. Has most marks at the club this season. He isn’t playing that bad. McCarthy is lucky he got 2, because he did next to nothing at times.

Jul 15, 2007
Too far from my bed
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Boston Celtics, Patriots
Also how was box head jakovichs voting in the medal..-
3 votes to Sheppard 2 to frekin redden and 1 to Mundy
What a ****stik

Ha ha, that guy is such an idiot.

In fairness, I rated Sheppard's game to a point, but well behind Hurn and Mundy, and possibly a few others. He milks a lot of cheep stats off the HB that aren't that special. And Redden, LOL. He was OK, but yeah, I think I'd struggle to put him in the top 10 on ground quite frankly.

Sep 22, 2011
Perth
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Liverpool FC, Washington Wizards
How is it you are still convinced this is a defensive game plan when we had more shots on goal? You are stuck on the idea that Ross knows no other way but really there was so much to like. Once the forwards start working each other out just a little better and stop spoiling each other we will score more heavily.

There is seriously something wrong with you if all you saw faults tonight. Far from great but a lot to work with I think....

It’s the way the forwards were set up. Sucked into the play, not enough up forward to capilise. Has that 2012/13 feel. Pressure and limit their scores. Case of low scores but kick more then them tonight. Our last three games we have averaged 61.66 pts per game.

Sep 11, 2008
Adelaide
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Man Utd
Thanks for the below report, I missed the 2nd half due to work.

Switta looks good in the 1st half, and it was great to have some pace in the forward half. I really feel we need another 2 or 3 more players with this type of pace.

E Shed

It's just about expectation. The Eagles are the premiers, they are a well oiled machine and everyone knows the game-plan and how their teammates play.
Their game-style has been kryptonite for us since Simpson got them humming.
We have a bunch of new players are the club who have never played together, guys out of confidence like Hogan, Wilson, Brayshaw and McCarthy who's only just getting going properly as a footballer. We were missing our captain who is arguably the best player in the game, Hill, Blakely, Logue, Sandi étc.
They got the jump and looked like they would thrash us but our team really dug deep and controlled more of the game in the second half. We started to find ways to score, hit a few forwards on the lead, defended really well, stopped the Eagles easy transition from the back half.
I could go on but I saw a lot to like, the highlight of which is Hogan finally found himself. He's a bull and with McCarthy we actually have 2 really good forwards.
Swita belongs at the level, did some really classy things so there is another good one. This is the first game I've thought Matera might actually be useful going forward.
I thought we'd lose by 100. This was beyond anything I thought we could put together against them.
I'm predicting some good footy as they year goes on.

Channels

All Australian
Dec 2, 2017
AFL Club
Fremantle
Liked
Mundy - Back in form

Hill - slick inside 50 delivery

The message of moving it forward quickly has sunk in

Hated
Conca - Coach killer, GTFO

Skills - our general kicking skills are possibly the poorest in the comp.

Lack of forwards leading at the ball carrier - example, 14.40 left in Q2. Pearce marks at left half forward. Massive hole inside 50 to lead into. No leads so bombs it on someone’s head in a 1 on 2 situation.

Aug 16, 2009
Perth
AFL Club
Fremantle
Positives.

We found a way of applying pressure thru the midfield to an uncontested team. Hopefully this is a big step up in understanding how to play against the uncontested style.

The midfield stood up without Fyfe. Badly beaten at clearances, but won the contested ball (the Eagles are poor at this anyway), and defended well thru the middle of the ground (see above).

The defence stood up after the loss of Hamling.

Sonny played fairly sensibly and fought thru the tag well.

Negatives.

Same old, same old.

Connection to the forwards.

Goal kicking.

Skills. Although I think skills will look better if we bed down a game plan.

The midfield stood up without Fyfe. How can this be a negative? I am monitoring a theory that the midfield plays better without him. Our winning % was better last year without him than with him. We had 2 good wins, Adelaide and Port, without him. Last night didn’t prove this theory. It didn’t disprove it either. Unless we can get good value from one of the best players in the comp, we aren’t going far.

Carnthedockers

Premiership Player
Aug 31, 2010
Perth
AFL Club
Fremantle
I’m sorry, but people bagging Ross in this game have no idea. I thought we executed perfectly to shut down their kicking game like no other team has. Yes they got uncontested marks, but Time and again they were forced to kick long from half back to a contest. They would also switch the ball and find there was no spare man on the outlet. McGovern had next to no influence.

Nov 8, 2000
South of the river
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Peel Thunder
Tabs............. A few too many brain fades tonight, but still our most dangerous forward. Probably a C+ for the game, cost us a bit too much IMO.

20 disposals
8 marks (3 contested marks - 4 marks i50)
5 tackles
2 goals 3 behinds 2 or 3 complete misses. Should have been at least 4 goals.

The thing about forwards is that if you shank the shot on goal everything leading up to that means precisely dick. You can run 150 metres, outmuscle your opponent, take a quality contested mark - it all means nothing if you don't convert.

Tabs should have kicked 5 or 6 goals. He does that we probably win.

rgauci

Brownlow Medallist
Jul 16, 2004
Fremantle
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
DOCKERS
The thing about forwards is that if you shank the shot on goal everything leading up to that means precisely dick. You can run 150 metres, outmuscle your opponent, take a quality contested mark - it all means nothing if you don't convert.

Tabs should have kicked 5 or 6 goals. He does that we probably win.

He’s tracking very very well. He was a dead eye dick in the WAFL a year or two back. His afl form has lagged behind his WAFL form by a few years.

Clever list manager who signed him up before he had exposed form.

Nov 8, 2000
South of the river
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Peel Thunder
He’s tracking very very well. He was a dead eye dick in the WAFL a year or two back. His afl form has lagged behind his WAFL form by a few years.

Clever list manager who signed him up before he had exposed form.

Yeah, that's what makes him so frustrating when he gets those opportunities inside 50 and kicks it like a flour bag. It's not like he's generally a s**t kick.
But he's about to turn 26, "potential" is not a word you can keep using. If he's got it, he needs to show it now.

rgauci

Brownlow Medallist
Jul 16, 2004
Fremantle
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
DOCKERS
Yeah, that's what makes him so frustrating when he gets those opportunities inside 50 and kicks it like a flour bag. It's not like he's generally a s**t kick.
But he's about to turn 26, "potential" is not a word you can keep using. If he's got it, he needs to show it now.

26 for a key forward is still early-mid career. And he hasn’t turned it yet. If he kicks 30-40 goals this year that’s a pretty good return. If we had smalls capable of 30 goals we’d have an elite forward line. It’s the smalls we are missing.

Purpletown

Club Legend
Sep 22, 2014
Restumping
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
SFFC Denver Broncos
26 for a key forward is still early-mid career. And he hasn’t turned it yet. If he kicks 30-40 goals this year that’s a pretty good return. If we had smalls capable of 30 goals we’d have an elite forward line. It’s the smalls we are missing.

We have Walters playing as a mid to cover our deficiency in that area. Play him as one of those small forwards and if Matera can continue to contribute we have some chance of covering our lack of small forwards with established players. There is some chance Schultz and/or Swita could make the grade but that is no instant fix as they are still raw as AFL players.
Get Blakey and Hill back and that may free Walters up to play the small forwards role on a more regular basis and help lift the midfield too. Players missing through injury sucks the life out of any team.

Back