Player Watch #21: Noah Balta

Remove this Banner Ad

Is still so raw. He makes plenty of mistakes and brainfade moments that leaves you cringing...but WHAT AN UPSIDE! He is making a significant difference in the ruck (which is a craft he's still just learning mind you) when he gives Nank a chop out plus can swing forward or back. I think he has incredible potential and I for one am very excited what he brings to the side

Ceiling like Beauvais Cathedral

How good is it to see a player that size taking a bounce through the guts and nobody can catch him.
Made some mistakes but would make the oppo coaches twitchy.

BALTA/THE TIGER
Largest Cat.
Loves to hunt at night.
No natural Predators.

We need to get him to 50 games asap , He adds something to our team that no other player has and that is the flexibility that he provides , He is the perfect utility.

This, I fear that when Jack gets back Balta will be dropped back to the twos bc of team balance, we don’t want to play 3 talks up fwd and the defence is pretty settled - best bet is to play as a wingman? Hope he does something out of the box next week to make it impossible to drop him, we need to pump games into him now, we’ll reap the rewards of him having 20 games under his belt at finals time.

This, I fear that when Jack gets back Balta will be dropped back to the twos bc of team balance, we don’t want to play 3 talks up fwd and the defence is pretty settled - best bet is to play as a wingman? Hope he does something out of the box next week to make it impossible to drop him, we need to pump games into him now, we’ll reap the rewards of him having 20 games under his belt at finals time.

he is going to get dropped for Grigg

dam you Damien

I fear the same thing. When Jack returns where does Balta play when he's not relieving in the ruck. I agree that three tall forwards and Caddy are just too much. We won against Port due to our renewed forward pressure. Adding an extra tall would sap us of this strength.

So the problem is - who would be our second ruck? Balta is a far superior ruck option to Jack and should we be risking Jack in that position anyway especially after coming back from injury. On the other hand, Jack is obviously the superior forward with Balta doing very little up forward atm.

Perhaps Balta should be playing on the wing? He has the speed, marking capabilities to link up play and the footskills but does he have the ground/ ball winning skills?

I think it would be a mistake to drop Balta but where is his best position when he is not rucking?

That intercept and run then handball to Caddy just goosebump inducing.

It was the composure. It’s what I’ve wanted to see from him - drew the player in and bang over the top joe the goose. Pretty sneaky too hiding behind Patrick Ryder like that hehe

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Balta will run out of steam sometime this season. But hopefully he'll truly believe he belongs and knows how much work he has to do to play AFL consistently.

I love him, but he's inconsistent. Which is fine for a young tall jack of all trades. This year is the transition to full AFL capability, in 2020 - that's my hope.

What an awesome backup to have with all our injuries.

he is going to get dropped for Grigg

dam you Damien

Can't see that happening atm. He is the perfect support for Nank and can then play back. forward, bench and elsewhere as a aerial target. Needs to stay and develop with experience even with Jack in the side especially with Rance out

His time on ground is very low for some reason. Didn’t even play 50%
Maybe sometimes, with his level, there’s no where for him to fit without a sh.tload of responsability.
That’s the tricky bit.. the best way to learn is stuffing up

His time on ground is very low for some reason. Didn’t even play 50%

One the big knocks on him is supposed to be endurance. So maybe they are just using him when needed and hoping he'll stand up at the end of the game. If he can learn to run all game watch out. Huge midfielder that can play KP and ruck.

tiger%20licking%20lips.jpg

He's pretty bloody exciting hey?

Outside of his obvious athletic traits I love the fact he's got a massive kick on him. With the 6-6-6 rule it'd be great if he got to the point where he is winning the odd clearance out of the middle and putting it deep inside 50 to Lynch and co.

It's just great to have a secondary option to give Nank a chop out too. I really wasn't overly thrilled at the thought of getting Lynch to pinch hit in there so if Balta can at least breakeven for us in there that'd be huge.

Can't see that happening atm. He is the perfect support for Nank and can then play back. forward, bench and elsewhere as a aerial target. Needs to stay and develop with experience even with Jack in the side especially with Rance out

I think you underestimate Dimmas love for weirdos like Grigg, Ellis, Chaplin, Hampson

It it comes down to Balta and griggy i know who id have my money on

We need to get him to 50 games asap , He adds something to our team that no other player has and that is the flexibility that he provides , He is the perfect utility.
looks and plays a bit like ex blue/lion tom bell, but bigger and faster, hopefully can end up a better player and have a longer career.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back