Review Positives and Negatives vs Fremantle - Rd 4, 2019

Remove this Banner Ad

Positive

It’s RND 4 and no one will remember this game in September.

We played crap, Freo were ultra defensive and we got 4 dirty points, but 4 points all the same.

No need to over analyse, this is a meaninglessness game in the long run

Funny old game wasn't it...

I actually think our fast start hindered the rest of the game. Coming off slow first quarters v GWS and Collingwood, we pulled our fingers out and flexed our muscle and dominated the remainder of those games.

With last night, getting off to a fast start forced Lyon to go putridly defensive and that was all she wrote. It seemed they were hell bent on minimising the damage opposed to actually taking the game on and trying to win. Obviously that is a terrible mentality but they have a young-ish group and missing Fyfe, so having an 'honourable' loss might have been their better option? Dunno. Who knows, or cares.

+ JK, JD, OA looked a bit off and didn't kick that well but we all need to chill. They literally kicked between them the amount of goals Fremantle kicked. JK and JD are genuine champions and will be back. No need in wasting good footy luck on games like this.

+ Backline is immense. Seriously the best in the league and daylight second. Hurn well deserved BOG.

+ Two rucks is still working from last year. Just think that one of those blokes from last night will be playing WAFL when NN is back soon. Froth...

+ Eddie actually wasn't too bad on the commentary.

CBF with +/-. That. Was. Awful.

I don't get the whole 'blame that s**t show on Ross' comments.

Sent from my CPH1707 using Tapatalk
Lyon put almost all his players in a massive zone on our HHF spanning the entire ground .

He just let us kick it around our backline as much as we wanted as their forward opposition was back in the zone .

Dockers went in with a very small side and whenever we kick it into that zone with the slippery conditions it would hit the deck and their smalls would swarm on it and run it out by hand .

If we kicked it over the zone it would create long high forward entries where ross had put an extra player .

With the slippery conditions it was almost impossible to take a contested mark in our forward line.

Ross nullified our game plan at the expensive of his own side kicking a decent score .

That ugly footy was 80% ross lyons fault and 20% slippery conditions

Interesting time on ground percentages

Hickey - 63%
JK - 72%
Redden - 76%
Yeo - 78%
Shuey - 79%

Seems like our Defence got a lot less rotations, our mids were quite lightly run, specifically Redden.

JK being managed? Darling played 95% TOGvto cover it, whereas it's normally JK playing massive minutes and just resting forward.

Seems like Hickey is being trialled with similar minutes to Naitanui, Vardy doing the longer stints on the ground, is this an indication that it will be Vardy/Naitanui eventually or is Hickey being heavily managed to avoid having too many lumbering talls?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I actually really enjoy watching Hickey play.

It's fascinating. Sometimes he does some brilliant things which make me blink, other times he's a total spud. Very erratic.

Team high 7 clearances is encouraging. Really like the way he takes the ball out of the ruck himself. Yet to see Vardy do that once TBH.

-went to the game, wish i didn't.
- that was one of the worst games i have been too live, Lyon is a blight on the game most of the game there was not a single Freo player fwd of the centre circle. Just had every player defensive and huge numbers around the ball, dragged is down.to their level as we had to even the numbers around the contest. Don't know how Freo supporters go and watch that s**t!

+we won
+really liked the look of Rothom.
+Petch is fun to watch

It's fascinating. Sometimes he does some brilliant things which make me blink, other times he's a total spud. Very erratic.

Team high 7 clearances is encouraging. Really like the way he takes the ball out of the ruck himself. Yet to see Vardy do that once TBH.
I'd like to see him play 80% and Vardy play the lower numbers to see if he can cope with that amount of game time for when Naitanui comes back. His highest so far was round one with 75%, every other game has been below 70%.

I am sure he can, maybe he's still working up a fitness base. Vardy is dropping a lot of marks that he's getting first hands to.

Hickey was bad last night imo but I like the two ruck strategy so far and know how well he can play.

A bit like watching a semi-capable tail-ender bat. Mitchell Johnson was probably my favourite player to watch bat for a while there.

Positives: Shep is back!, Gaff's mentally free finally!
Negative: Still haven't worked out how to get the best of Sheed and Gaff together. I find it a little annoying Sheed has to be able to switch role expectations and plans continuously, (which arguably works somewhat in totality) whilst Gaff gets to play a pretty much unaltered role he loves week in and week out. We know what Gaff can do and we know what Sheed can do when given the freedom without Gaff. How do we get the best of both in the one side? Having Sheed position off the contest more regularly as a first or second receiver and even going to Hill at times (as does Masten) to free Gaff to do as he pleases without accountability certainly is great for Gaff. In the mean time Sheed not being given the license to run further forward of the play freely to provide options as he has done without Gaff, had positives and negatives. I'd suggest there is still a lot of room for improvement there.
It does augur well for when it comes together better but it clearly isn't getting the best of them both in some games and that was evident against Freo and had Freo kicked straighter we might be having a very different discussion.
Of course the way Lyon structured it with our backs free as such, whilst our HFF was a congested war zone made it all pretty ugly.
Frustrating.

Last edited:
Negative: I think for the third game in a row the opposition had more forward entries and/ or shots on goal than us (or at least bloody close to it). Freo's inaccuracy kept us in this one when it was close in the last, but its eventually going to come back and bite us in the arse.

Now you could argue that the quality of our forward entries is greater, but if you let the opposition keep pinging the goals eventually you're going to lose a game because of some arsey chaos-ball stuff.

I also feel like, similar to the Lions game, if the defensive zone is setup well against us that the boys have been instructed not to try and run through it. Now against a side like Freo you can just switch from side-to-side until their sh*tness is exposed, but against better teams or on smaller grounds I can see us coughing up a lot of goals while trying to be "cute".

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back