Review Rd 4: Port vs Richmond

Remove this Banner Ad

I have not started at page one comments, I was very angry last night & did not want to TYPE ANGRY.

I understand every ones frustration & sink the boots into the coach. But yesterday the glaring problem was on field leadership. I think personally Boak is still the best captain. Jonas & Wines struggled & do not seem on face value to be naturals at leadership. "Follow me".
The difference in the 2 sides seemed to be applied & perceived pressure. Richmond game plan was simple, deny space. Move forward really fast>>

We had a lot of players whose stats will mask ball use. To many panic/dump kicks when not necessary.

SIGH....

Ah well west coast next week.

Last edited:
Gee whiz Paddy Ryder was soft tonight. So ******* soft.

If a pipsqueak small is going to block your run and take a mark in front of you, put your ******* knee right through him.

Has zero physical presence up forward, and sadly, the big Chuck wagon is a long way away to help with that.
Agree. Incredibly soft. Pathetic even.

While I kind of agree Ryder didn't do enough in contests the bigger problem is he's being asked to do something he's not suited to.

We should be playing to his strengths as an athletic leading target not a contested mark.

If anything in that last quarter we should have played Lycett more up forward if our strategy was just float the ball to the top of the square.

In summary: Coaches fault for not setting up for a forwards strengths.

Remember when we got told “Trust the process” ? Remember when pay up come to the convention you’ll hear something amazing ?

Well I’ve been saying a long time the last 5 years we seen clear indication of a systematic problem that neither the coach nor the club want to address. Excuses and spin !

We gave up Fos Williams tradition of one captain just to paint a narrative of hiding ken deficiencies. Fos would be fuming

We smashed the Tigers in 2014 yet Hinkley tells us tonight that we have plenty of work to do.

Kens has had 7 years, but still a long way to go?

Remember Dew was waiting in the wings ?

Remember we held him at the club when we threw more money at him when already contracted why? Who approved it?

I’ve seen the trend and the issues start and end with Hinkley/Voss sooner they both shown the door the better we will be 7A406ABE-0488-467B-B8A8-03220E58A87F.jpeg

I'm out.

Not investing energy, emotion, time and money into something that gives no return.

5 years and everything has changed from assistant coaches and all through the playing group yet nothing has changed results wise.

Change now needs to start at the top and until this happens I'm out.

I'm out.

Not investing energy, emotion, time and money into something that gives no return.

5 years and everything has changed from assistant coaches and all through the playing group yet nothing has changed results wise.

Be brave>>>>

I'm out.

2 wins and 2 narrow losses

C'mon luvie cheer up

I still don't understand why it was a sure thing in the first place. I still tipped Richmond despite your outs. We have been cooked for almost 5 years.
Yes, one thing that pisses me off before games like this is when certain punters, even on here, boast we will thrash an oppo by 10 goals. When the hell have we done that in recent years?
We cannot deal with expectation.
Boak can hold his head high this year, and a few others, but several of our senior players should have a long hard look at themselves.

And then there’s the coaching and their dribble that the stats say we are around the mark for success.
And then there’s the PAFC stats guys.

And then there’s KT and the board.

And maybe also there are too many distractions for our players.
Yeah I know they say they need a life outside footy to take the pressure off but we sure aren’t seeing the benefits of that on field.

And I knew Ollie wasn’t ready to be captain..needs to get his own game right first and those clangers ugh.

Gee whiz Paddy Ryder was soft tonight. So ******* soft.

If a pipsqueak small is going to block your run and take a mark in front of you, put your ******* knee right through him.

Has zero physical presence up forward, and sadly, the big Chuck wagon is a long way away to help with that.
Probably Kenny has gone back to his old habits of telling our players not to risk sanctions so they now have over corrected.

Yeah so tell me again why we didn't just get Wines' shoulder reconstructed when he had the injury rather than putting him under the knife twice creating more scar tissue and general ******y with his shoulder?

He's been a complete non event and everyone saw this coming just like every other result with this club.

******* get the reco done, stop ******* around.
I’m with you..send him off for surgery now. Let Drew get as many games into him as he can. Ollie can captain from th sidelines.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Hes not the only one. Bonner again too.

However tonight was all about our failure to defend Lynch and the constant kicking to their numbers in defence.

Same old stories from all of our previous losses in the last 5 years.

Until the Burton moment, i thought we’d done a great job on Lynch. I think he was sitting on 2 kicks and 1 goal at that point. Then he kicks 3 goals in 3 minutes...

I know my rage was palpable but i felt the smugness of Lynch and Ellis was compounding my pain.

The deluge of goals by Lynch after Burton's brain fade was just when i knew to stop caring so much.

Another round of high draft picks coming our way.[/QUOTE]
Sigh. Well, show me someone who didn't expect that and i'll show you a liar. We all knew this was likely going to happen. There are 2 things certain with Port Adelaide each season under this regime:
A) We'll lose against a bottom 4 club when unbackable favourites
B) We'll lose to an injury ravaged team to give them a season defining victory

Happens every ******* year like ******* clockwork.

Where's the motivation? We should have ripped that ******* side to pieces. But nope, lets play the shortest ******* forward line in the history of the ******* universe then just bomb it in all ******* night. Everyone involved has a ******* pea brain. We are so ******* predicable it hurts. It really hurts.

Yet another performance where we have to put up with key players wandering around doing **** all. Yet another performance where we just waste the ball, stupid handballs, out on the fulls, unbelievable mistakes.

If we had another key forward then we would have won. Simple as that. To have a forward line of 1 tall and 5 smalls is stupid. Stupid.

I honestly don't know why I care anymore. I'm over it.

PLAYER REVIEWS:

Westhoff - It's a shame he retired 3 weeks ago ...
View attachment 654063

Could not get to first two games ..
Oh geez Club sent an email saying they missed me ..
Don't worry about me .. worry about the players not performing, send them a bloody email.:Do_O
Because they are not performing .. :thumbsdown:
Nah that was about Westhoff going missing

Last edited:
I know my rage was palpable but i felt the smugness of Lynch and Ellis was compounding my pain.

The deluge of goals by Lynch after Burton's brain fade was just when i knew to stop caring so much.

Ports always let the most smug, offensive, campaigner of a player stick the knife in.

Lynch, McGovern, Shuey, Stringer, Dangerfield, Jenkins, C. Cameron...

While I kind of agree Ryder didn't do enough in contests the bigger problem is he's being asked to do something he's not suited to.

We should be playing to his strengths as an athletic leading target not a contested mark.

If anything in that last quarter we should have played Lycett more up forward if our strategy was just float the ball to the top of the square.

In summary: Coaches fault for not setting up for a forwards strengths.

Hes not 27 and athletic anymore. Hes slow as treacle. He just needs to compete

Wasn't Burton recruited as a versatile player? Have him play as a tallish forward for some of the game. Tell him to at least make the contest. Maybe swap him with Motlop defensively where he can use his run and disposal. Better yet, don't lose the game at selection. Hinkley stubborn refusal to try things on game day continues to frustrate me as much as his selection criteria.

How many intercept marks need to be taken against us before the message sinks through. Throw us a bone and give us another tallish forward option. Even if he nullifies Grimes that would be something.

Westhoff and Ryder are not dependable key forwards, never have been, and aren't that great at bringing the ball to ground. Additionally both, especially Westhoff, look horribly out of form. Marshall, Howard, Frampton, Burton, anyone over 6'3" PLEASE who is prepared to crash a contest regularly. We didn't need Clurey, Howard, Jonas and Burton against opposition with one tall and one mid sized forward.

It seemed we even had to rely on tall defenders to take contested marks up the ground which was commendable until our defense got carved up like a knife after a quick rebound. At least it appeared that way from home.

Certainly though the zombie-like regularity with which the ball went inside 50 to a small marking target, a double teamed tall target or worst of all a double teamed small target made me want to Elvis the ******* TV. Relying on free kicks to small forwards to get a sizeable portion of our set shots on goal is making me NOT HAPPY KEN!

Remove this Banner Ad

Back