Player Watch #9: Luke Davies-Uniacke - signs until end 2025! Runner up in the 2022 Syd Barker Medal Award

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

Yeah he had that one incident but otherwise was bloody good. He and Frog have a composure with the pill that many others lack. Looked bloody good for the most part and is tracking very nicely.

Was the squib the instance at CHF where he stopped and Higgo ultimately took possession? that passage looked pretty strange to me. didnt really know what to make of it, more of a misread. having said that i cannot recall any other passages. LDU dont strike me as the sort of bloke who lacks courage.

Was the squib the instance at CHF where he stopped and Higgo ultimately took possession? that passage looked pretty strange to me. didnt really know what to make of it, more of a misread. having said that i cannot recall any other passages. LDU dont strike me as the sort of bloke who lacks courage.
He's had a couplle this year.

The one last night was he was in the hole on the flank, and went back one handed for the mark.

He's like 4% away from being an absolute gun

Ie the burst away from congestion where he got just run down and it affected the kick - he doesn't get touched this time next year

Or the run through the centre before he just missed Jack in a one on one .. he nails a player lace out this time next year

I'm excited by him

Yeah he definitely squibbed one thinking he was going to get cleaned up.

We look a better side when he's running through the mids. Generally very safe with ball in hand.
Yep, needed to push back strong and takr it with two hands. Needs to do better next time and will be. The kid is a jet and will be our best player in two years.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

(Log in to remove this ad.)

He's been bloody great so far, and hopefully it's a sign of the footballer he could become as he keeps developing because if he keeps on this level of improvement then wow. So comfortable with ball in hand and a really smart player too.

But one thing that does concern me is that he often looks like he lacks a bit of intensity around the contest. He's pretty much totally ineffective defensively, and he can look passive when the ball is there to be won, almost as though he's sometimes waiting for someone else to do something first. His contested work usually comes as a result of his footy brain, great lateral movement, and composure, which is obviously great, but I feel like there could be another level he could go to if he could lift said intensity. Honestly, a lot of it is probably down to confidence as well, and will improve as he spends more time in the middle.

It's not a huge issue, but just something that could be improved IMO.

He's been bloody great so far, and hopefully it's a sign of the footballer he could become as he keeps developing because if he keeps on this level of improvement then wow. So comfortable with ball in hand and a really smart player too.

But one thing that does concern me is that he often looks like he lacks a bit of intensity around the contest. He's pretty much totally ineffective defensively, and he can look passive when the ball is there to be won, almost as though he's sometimes waiting for someone else to do something first. His contested work usually comes as a result of his footy brain, great lateral movement, and composure, which is obviously great, but I feel like there could be another level he could go to if he could lift said intensity. Honestly, a lot of it is probably down to confidence as well, and will improve as he spends more time in the middle.

It's not a huge issue, but just something that could be improved IMO.

I think he doesn’t realise he is better than most of his senior team mates and is backwards in coming forwards around them in contests

But then it could also be Coaches instructions of playing his role blah whoopsy blah..,

I think he doesn’t realise he is better than most of his senior team mates and is backwards in coming forwards around them in contests

But then it could also be Coaches instructions of playing his role blah whoopsy blah..,

I get that impression too. Like he's still learning so sometimes he stops to watch whats happening so he can get a handle on it.

I think he has a certain passiveness because so far he has been coached to defer to the senior players around him. He's been in and out of the team and forced to earn his spot. We forget he is only a second year player and as good as he has been he has a lot to learn

In a few years, perhaps even within a year, when he feels more confident as part of a team, he will be taking charge in the midfield and making it his own

He just needs time and confidence. He has everything else

Generally I agree that he's tracking well...but...I've noticed a couple of instances in the last few weeks where he has...well....kind of soft cocked the contest a little. I tried to pretend it didnt happen a couple of weeks ago.
But it happened again again tonight. He definitely stuck the one arm out rather than put the body on the line.
Needs to sort that s**t out.

Theres was also a couple of marks where he’s opened up his body to the contest. Will come with size and confidence when he learns he’s the bull not the ant.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Loved his composure with the footy. A couple times last night he was running toward the forward 50 and instructed by a bunch of players to kick long, but he ignored everyone and took the smarter option.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back