Recommitted Josh Kelly [re-signs with GWS]

Remove this Banner Ad

What does "two years with a six year option" mean? Like he plays for two years then the club gets to decide if they want to keep him for four more years? I really don't understand.

No idea, but my guess is the opposite of what you're saying. He wants an out clause after 2 years should he wish to leave?

Either way, what's the point of the contract if one side can break it.

You can say that about every player contract these days

About the only relevance a player contract has these days is how much they get paid while they are still at the club, very little in the way of loyalty incentive

Contracts status matters. Just look at the last few years.

0 years on the contract - you'll get under market value
1 year on the contract - you'll get about market value or you can say f*** you, you're staying here (see Tim Kelly)
2 years on the contract - you'll get above market value or you can laugh at them for even bothering to try.

There have been plenty of times the last few years where clubs have held players if they have a year or more on the contract. A lot of the time its just best interest to let them go. Contract status still matters though, people just have to adjust expectations accordingly

No idea, but my guess is the opposite of what you're saying. He wants an out clause after 2 years should he wish to leave?

Either way, what's the point of the contract if one side can break it.

If a players happiness is tied to their security then the knowledge of having coverage for injuries etc gives one comfort and maybe a willingness to sign.

What does "two years with a six year option" mean? Like he plays for two years then the club gets to decide if they want to keep him for four more years? I really don't understand.

Kelly wants security of a six year deal but the flexibility to move in two years if he wants to.

That form is basically saying give me security and flexibility or I'll move now. Do you want me or not?

If a club is in premiership mode they may take that as it could be the difference in a flag or missing out.

Thats not hard to understand.

He cant have it though. A contract with a one way option isn't permitted.

Isnt it?

There are contracts with trigger clauses. If a player performs and acheives x, y and z then that triggers an extension. Why cant a player also benefit from a trigger of some sort?

The AFL player movement landscape is a moving animal. Players association is gunning for more player control.

Does anything like this occur elsewhere in more mature sporting industries in the US or Europe?

This is all hypothetical obviously.

Isnt it?

There are contracts with trigger clauses. If a player performs and acheives x, y and z then that triggers an extension. Why cant a player also benefit from a trigger of some sort?

The AFL player movement landscape is a moving animal. Players association is gunning for more player control.

Does anything like this occur elsewhere in more mature sporting industries in the US or Europe?

This is all hypothetical obviously.
Other sports aren't reievant.

What would that hypothetical trigger be for Kelly? He isn't going to miss seiection if fit. A trigger clause on remaining injury free would be a real can if worms given players are often injured in the service of the club through no fault of their own.

A trigger clause if he wins AA selection again or a brownlow seems a bit silly.

An option to stay if he feels like it wouldn't be allowed.

What would that hypothetical trigger be for Kelly? He isn't going to miss seiection if fit. A trigger clause on remaining injury free would be a real can if worms given players are often injured in the service of the club through no fault of their own.

Other AFL contract options have been for borderline players and have had things like "if he plays 10 games, he gets another year"

Obviously that isn't going to apply here as he'll play every game he can, but if could be the other way around...

"If GWS makes the top 4, the contract extends for another year".

Not sure why GWS would agree to this though (beyond desperation) as it'd make their long term salary cap management really tough.

Wasnt long ago we had no frer agency. Things change, the industry matures.

Other sports are relevant. The AFL looked at other sports in regards to free agency to provide examples and insight into how to implement free agency here. Likewise how contracts and potentially options have developed elsewhere would be considered by both the players association and the AFL.

The other issue is restriction of trade and the law.

Let us not forget Josh Kelly holds the whip here.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Wasnt long ago we had no frer agency. Things change, the industry matures.

Other sports are relevant. The AFL looked at other sports in regards to free agency to provide examples and insight into how to implement free agency here. Likewise how contracts and potentially options have developed elsewhere would be considered by both the players association and the AFL.

The other issue is restriction of trade and the law.

Let us not forget Josh Kelly holds the whip here.
None if that makes sense to me. Any contract now will be completed under current AFL rules. It's that simple.

None if that makes sense to me. Any contract now will be completed under current AFL rules. It's that simple.

Current rules allow for options. It just can't be (completely) one way.

If Kelly signs a 6 year deal with a 2 year outclause, maybe that just means GWS pay him less for years 3-6 if he stays. Hey, you want security and flexibility, but you get that by getting 200k a year less which we put towards Cogs/Tomlinson etc. And if you win a Brownlow in the next 2 years and we are contenders and you want to stay still, this is the deal, you're not getting a different contract deal.

Maybe he is considered uncontracted after 2 years only for a substantially better deal (>250k a year or >1.5mil over an entire contract etc).

I have no idea what the truth is here but I find it very difficult to believe that a 2-4 set up is not just allowed whatsoever. That's the only thing I`m arguing here.

With the 2 main teams that will be after him this year in North & Carlton having bad starts and needing to improve and improve quickly there will be Big money being offered and its going to be really really difficult to knock back this year imo.

Could we see the $10,000,000 for 7 years

Remove this Banner Ad

Back