Player Watch Chris Mayne (Retired 2021)

Remove this Banner Ad

The transverse processes are covered by thick muscles. Fracture of the transverse process is rare. It may occur as an avulsion fracture due to strong contracture of the muscles. The injury may also be due to sudden extreme twisting, side bending or by direct impact to the process itself. The injury will not cause instability of the spine or spinal cord injury. Transverse process fractures are usually treated with a corset or brace, but not by surgery. Associated injuries may occur to the abdominal viscera, retroperitoneum and the pelvis. This is a minor injury caused by a major force.

It's rare to get this injury so mayne a little unlucky. Good news is that is shouldn't be serious and he can continue with his career.

Sep 17, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
Collingwood
It’s a fractured spine, no doubt about it, but the spinal canal and spinal cord are completely shielded from any damage.

The transverse process is an anchor point for muscles, so he’ll be very sore and stiff for a while until it heals up.

You certainly know your stuff. Pretty gnarly injury, wouldn't wish it on anybody. He is going to have a lot of trouble just sitting down by the sound of it.

It’s a fractured spine, no doubt about it, but the spinal canal and spinal cord are completely shielded from any damage.

The transverse process is an anchor point for muscles, so he’ll be very sore and stiff for a while until it heals up.

Geez he must have been in a world of hurt last night. The physio working deep tissue on the boundary line, I wonder if that was ill-advised in hindsight.

Bad Horse

Petfood
Collingwood Magpies - Brayden Sier 2019 Player Sponsor Collingwood Magpies AFLW - Sarah Rowe Player Sponsor 2019 Collingwood - Jaidyn Stephenson Player Sponsor 2018 Collingwood - Matthew Scharenberg Player Sponsor 2017 Collingwood Magpies AFLW - Steph Chiocci 2017
Mar 26, 2016
AFL Club
Collingwood
Horrible for the Mayne man, but he is a consummate professional. I would pick him to return at the shorter end of the timeframe. This is a cruel game sometimes. Will be looking forward to his return, something I never thought I would say but he has won me over and then some.

Looking well forward into the future, Mayne is one I would love to see in coaching. Think he could be a good communicator.

Saintly Viewed

30k Posts 10k Posts Collingwood - Tyler Brown Player Sponsor 2020 Collingwood Magpies - Brayden Sier 2019 Player Sponsor Collingwood - Jaidyn Stephenson Player Sponsor 2018 Collingwood Board Goal Kicking Tip Comp Collingwood - Matthew Scharenberg Player Sponsor 2017 Shiny Penny
Aug 10, 2015
AFL Club
Collingwood

Thanks for input RS.
Main thing is his spine sounds fine from yiuve said.
Just needs time for the surrounding area to heal properly.

That’s a big phew.

Geez he must have been in a world of hurt last night. The physio working deep tissue on the boundary line, I wonder if that was ill-advised in hindsight.
It would have felt very sore and he likely would have had some spasm, but while he was warmed up and the adrenaline was flowing, it would have been tolerable to go through those assessments and mobilising. Wouldn’t have made the fracture any worse either.

Robbie McEwen did a Tour de France (and won the green jersey) after breaking a couple of vertebrae in stage 6. I say Mayne won’t miss a match.
That’s massive! Apparently similar injury too.

He would have been on a ton of painkillers though, and cycling is more of an individual sport when it comes to the jerseys, and the TDF is equivalent to a Grand Final... it’s harder to justify in a team game during H & A.

Last edited:

Saintly Viewed

30k Posts 10k Posts Collingwood - Tyler Brown Player Sponsor 2020 Collingwood Magpies - Brayden Sier 2019 Player Sponsor Collingwood - Jaidyn Stephenson Player Sponsor 2018 Collingwood Board Goal Kicking Tip Comp Collingwood - Matthew Scharenberg Player Sponsor 2017 Shiny Penny
Aug 10, 2015
AFL Club
Collingwood
Robbie McEwen did a Tour de France (and won the green jersey) after breaking a couple of vertebrae in stage 6. I say Mayne won’t miss a match.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app
Robbie McEwan was one tough bugger.
Never a backward pedal.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

McEwen was as hard as nails, but the TdF is a non-contact sport (well except the last few hundred metres of a sprint, and the odd aggressive criterium). Mayne (if human) would not likely be able to cope with a pain of a fall or a bump.

Had one of those cracked, can agree with all of the last sentence, painful.

Feel for Mayney. Hope he recovers soon.

So unlucky too to think that if he'd taken that mark, he'd not have copped the knee.

Will be hard for him to get into the team now I suppose as we would've covered for his role with others.

CFC2010

Cancelled
10k Posts Collingwood Magpies - Brayden Sier 2019 Player Sponsor Collingwood - Jaidyn Stephenson Player Sponsor 2018 Collingwood - Matthew Scharenberg Player Sponsor 2017 Collingwood Magpies - James Aish Player Sponsor 2016
Aug 22, 2014
AFL Club
Collingwood
Feel for Mayney. Hope he recovers soon.

So unlucky too to think that if he'd taken that mark, he'd not have copped the knee.

Will be hard for him to get into the team now I suppose as we would've covered for his role with others.

LOL he is one of the first picked now mate.

I guarantee you he will be straight in once he is right........a player that knows his role and understands our game plan is gold to Bucks.

LOL he is one of the first picked now mate.

I guarantee you he will be straight in once he is right........a player that knows his role and understands our game plan is gold to Bucks.

Ok, let's see if this will be the case

Back