Review Rd 4: Port vs Richmond

Remove this Banner Ad

SOMEONE HAD TO LOSE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!111

yes some had to lose ….

but we have a very bad habit of not winning the games that we expect to win …

we listen to the papers & media who say we are favourites and we go into the "not trying hard mode", we expect it to just happen instead of making it happen. We still have players who go missing (although not as many as in previous years) and we don't have enough of the never give up type players the players that will play hard and get down and dirty...

where is our current players in the mould of Josh Carr, Josh Francou and Damien Hardwick etc ?

in this game we had:-

Hoff go missing for most of the game
Ryder not attacking the ball for a mark
Motlop go missing for all the game
Howard out of Form (although he just started to claw his way back once he started taking marks)
Wines under done

the 2nd time in a row. we had a KPF kick 6 on us (that didn't happen when Bassett was in charge of defence)- both Monty & Bassett should swap coaching roles

And from what I saw Ken didn't seam to make any moves

i want to now see the following players have a run at playing 4+ games (not all at once) - through out the year
(to see what they can do before the seasons end and delisting time)

Trengove - who has been running hot the last several games with the magpies
McKenzie - from the wing (replacing Motlop) using his 107g experience with the instruction to use his long 60+ kick (to kick goals)
Lienert - from the wing (replacing Motlop) or the other wing with the instruction to use his long 60+ kick (to kick goals)
Broadbent - his experience to help Jonas in defence (and also to see if he has a good kick still)
Hammer - his leadership and experience to help Jonas in defence (and also to see if he has a good kick still)
Farrell - he can play (remember when he kicked 3 goals against the cows) lets see if he can do that again ...

But there was so much of this last night. Our players were watching on as though they were outside looking in. They just watched Richmond grab uncontested mark after uncontested mark as though they were watching it on tv.

What has actually happened here? Ryder didn't even raise his hands let alone jump at contests that he was at on some occasions. It unfortunately wasn't just one or two players. It was actually most of the team which is devastating.

Ryder is and always has been soft. He’s wearing that helmet because he wants to, not because he has to. And until the doctors say that his cheek is healed, he’s not going to do anything that would put him in danger of injury - that means no pack marks, no running towards contests, or any of the stuff that he was doing before Gray collected him in the head. So he’s not going to be putting on pressure either.

Speaking of Robbie, he doesn’t put the pressure on to lock the ball inside 50 either.

That’s four players who are defensive liabilities on the field for various reasons. You can get away with one or two players if their output the other way is high, but if it isn’t, you’re going to end up with the performance we saw yesterday.

Saw it coming as soon as Bonner and Howard got another game. Everyone put in a massive effort against Brisbane and performed pretty well except for those two, but Ken backed them in because he didn’t want to admit he got it wrong and he got what he deserved with a lacklustre performance.

You don’t blame the snake for biting you when you try to pet it. That’s why this loss is fairly and squarely on Hinkley’s shoulders. I said he was on extremely thin ice...now he’s in the cold water and the sharks are circling.

How we respond to this week - through selection and performance - will determine whether he needs to be sacked now or see out his contract, IMO.

Last edited:

Ryder is and always has been soft. He’s wearing that helmet because he wants to, not because he has to. And until the doctors say that his cheek is healed, he’s not going to do anything that would put him in danger of injury - that means no pack marks, no running towards contests, or any of the stuff that he was doing before Gray collected him in the head. So he’s not going to be putting on pressure either.

Speaking of Robbie, he doesn’t put the pressure on to lock the ball inside 50 either.

That’s four players who are defensive liabilities on the field for various reasons. You can get away with one or two players if their output the other way is high, but if it isn’t, you’re going to end up with the performance we saw yesterday.

Saw it coming as soon as Bonner and Howard got another game. Everyone put in a massive effort against Brisbane and performed pretty well except for those two, but Ken backed them in because he didn’t want to admit he got it wrong and he got what he deserved with a lacklustre performance.

You don’t blame the snake for biting you when you try to pet it. That’s why this loss is fairly and squarely on Hinkley’s shoulders. I said he was on extremely thin ice...now he’s in the cold water and the sharks are circling.

How we respond to this week - through selection and performance - will determine whether he needs to be sacked now or see our his contract, IMO.

Not many times I agree with you. Spot on

One of the many things that infuriated me at the ground was the amount of players through the midfield and defence who just ball watch when there is a groundball to be won.

The amount of players we have who just stand there a few metres off the scrap on the ground, stagnant, expecting the ball to come to them whilst their opponent sneaks off a bit behind them. It probably cost us 3-4 goals last night where Richmond won the ground ball, got it over the top to the free player whilst our player stands there with concrete boots. Constantly allowed their players to be goal side through our defensive half of the ground. Very frustrating.

Also, as much as I love Rozee, he needed to pay Stack for more respect in that last quarter than what he did. Stack had far too much influence on the result.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

That's by design if you were at the members convention. It works against s**t contested ball sides but not Richmond even with their stars out.

That’s not how it works.

The players are supposed to be covering the outlets and switched on defensively.

Yesterday they were just standing around ball watching and not paying any respect to the Richmond midfield because they were thinking “these guys are s**t, we don’t need to do what we did against Brisbane.”

This is why you ALWAYS drop players who don’t perform and don’t give them a second chance. It sends the right message to the team that they’ve always got to be on their toes with their performance.

One of the many things that infuriated me at the ground was the amount of players through the midfield and defence who just ball watch when there is a groundball to be won.

The amount of players we have who just stand there a few metres off the scrap on the ground, stagnant, expecting the ball to come to them whilst their opponent sneaks off a bit behind them. It probably cost us 3-4 goals last night where Richmond won the ground ball, got it over the top to the free player whilst our player stands there with concrete boots. Constantly allowed their players to be goal side through our defensive half of the ground. Very frustrating.

Also, as much as I love Rozee, he needed to pay Stack for more respect in that last quarter than what he did. Stack had far too much influence on the result.

So much ball watching last night. We were tepid as * waiting for someone else to go in hard. Was pathetic.

This was one of those games that are difficult to get your head around in the lead up . Kinda know we should win but something isn’t feeling quite right. And that’s just as a supporter but you get the feeling that it seeps into the team , whereas the oppo have the full week to steel theirselves and get a plan going .
Richmond’s run , spread and focus was way better than ours .
Plus we made more skill errors to give the ball back way too much .
Players : Boak 8
Rockliff 7
Ebert 7
Houston 7
Clurey 6
Burton 6
R. Gray 5
S.Gray 5
Jonas 5
Lycett 5
Ryder 5
Howard 4
Drew 4
Byrne Jones 3
Duursma 3
Rozee 3
Bonner 3
Westhoff 2
Butters 2
SPP 2
Wines 2
Motlop 1

The most disappointing aspect of last night was the fact we kicked two big team lifting goals to go in front in the last quarter and still followed up with nothing.

After Goaling from Stacks free kick and out on the full we should have gone on with it. They kick one within 2 minutes.

After Houston goals and breaks a hole in his chest , we should have gone on with it.

We take it easy. It was the WC EF all over again.
And we did the same last week. Take the front against Brisbane in the last quarter, only to let them run over the top of us in the last 5 minutes.

72 and we would have won... 😎
Thanks captain..

I said in the game day thread that Jonas should be banned from kicking more than 30m.

Only saw the first half because work.
Went to watch the second half on the AFL site but apparently replays ain't free anymore.
Well, I'm not subscribing to that s**t so I just read the second half of the Gameday thread instead.
A few questions:

1. Did Sam Gary really play CHF?
2. Did Ken really make Butters get a haircut?
3. Is Sydney Stack a real player or, as I suspect, a superhero's secret identity?

Don’t know if it’s worth anything but Dimma was doing tight handball drills with his players after they ran out.
When was the last time we saw Ken do anything like that?
Our players don’t love their coach like I saw Richmond with theirs.

I didn't see our blokes helping each other off the ground last night Richmond every time.
Joke
clearly a divide here somewhere why else would we have "co captains" and screw with tradition.
Question
Will Sutcliffe still be maggies captain when Ollie and jonas are lining up there also?

Our deficiencies are in tackling. Too many almost tackles and not one managed to actually wrap the player up. If we want to know how to tackle, go to Burton. They may have taught them at Hawthorn. Only tackle all night that stuck.

Another fault is the return of Wines. wines has disrupted the midfield balance. I want to see Drew winning the ball more and dishing off the handball. Wines needs to take a back seat. His hands are terrible. Senior players come back and the kids go a little bit more into their shell. The kids won us the first two games. I say bring in Atley, have him and Rockcliff work out of the center.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back