Autopsy Geelong defeated by GWS by 4 points - Rd 4, 2019

Cattery

Premiership Player
Jun 13, 2006
Australia
AFL Club
Geelong
A fit Guthrie kept up with Brownlow Dusty.
Who else? He runs, has a tank, can concentrate.
Maybe Rowan.
Tbh, we have no matchups for their MF or Whitfield, and if we aren't winning the ball, we will not beat them. Might have to accept that harsh reality, that unless they are off their game, which happened last year, they have our measure. Of course the players don't throw in the towel as a team, but as supporters, why expect the illogical?

Been "off their game" quite a lot against us it seems then, given that yesterday was only the second time they've beaten us since their inception.

Been "off their game" quite a lot against us it seems then, given that yesterday was only the second time they've beaten us since their inception.
Can only judge a team on their last game against us, and sadly, yesterday was it. They were in a rut 12m ago. Still made finals.

Goggin Our Best

Norm Smith Medallist
May 23, 2011
sydney
AFL Club
Geelong
Fair viewpoint.

I think we will know exactly where geelong are and how good we are in 2019 after the next fortnight against hawthorn and west coast.

Season 2019 will be exposed.

Today we can say is an off day, but we can’t use that for the next fortnight

7th to 12th -thats the range - but what can the Cats do

If you ignore the Western Bulldogs as a one off - and they did finish 7th

The more i look at it - when you assemble a top team/list you will win multiple flags - Rich stumbled - but were on top of the ladder for basically all season . Now you have got West Coast in the space . Weve had Lions Cats/Swans Hawks with multiple flags

Geelongs current position - and theres other teams in a similar boat - its tough going - what do you do to bridge the gap !! -

Ithink with the current set up - you will have multiple flag winning teams - its a bit like fluking a top racehorse - you will just keep winning big races with it

And i think some of these flag droughts are going to be extensive going forward

Cattery

Premiership Player
Jun 13, 2006
Australia
AFL Club
Geelong
Can only judge a team on their last game against us, and sadly, yesterday was it. They were in a rut 12m ago. Still made finals.

In that same rut every time they played us (bar one) were they?

To say we can't beat them unless they're "off their game" is simple illogical given our record against them, but hey, keep pumping up their tyres, they may actually make it to a GF one day.

In that same rut every time they played us (bar one) were they?

To say we can't beat them unless they're "off their game" is simple illogical given our record against them, but hey, keep pumping up their tyres, they may actually make it to a GF one day.
Given that next time we play them in 2019 will not be at Geelong...
I'm not referring to any other year.

Cattery

Premiership Player
Jun 13, 2006
Australia
AFL Club
Geelong
Given that next time we play them in 2019 will not be at Geelong...
I'm not referring to any other year.

Which has nothing to do with your initial (incorrect) statement that we can only beat them if they're "off their game" and just for the record our record against them in Sydney isn't that shabby either.

Munich

Brownlow Medallist
May 5, 2013
Melbourne
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
BVB, LVP
No-one willing to run when we inevitably turned it over. A forward line that spent half the day in defense.

I thought it sounded the opposite. What were Kolo and Taylor doing in our F50?

I didn't watch much but had it on in the background so could have confused what I saw/heard.

Which has nothing to do with your initial (incorrect) statement that we can only beat them if they're "off their game" and just for the record our record against them in Sydney isn't that shabby either.
On yesterday's display, at our home, after a break, and given we were not blown out of the water by them in Q1, I definitely stick by that assertion that the only way we beat them again this year is IF they are off, because they appear to be superior to us in important areas.
Things can definitely change.
You may be correct, we could go to Sydney or ACT and beat them.
Certainly Melbourne would believe they could still beat us later this year.
But I just can't see it today.
Let's see if the second half by our guns yesterday was just an aberration.
The next 2 weeks will reveal plenty.

Max Milburn

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 10, 2018
Hobbiton, Tasmania
AFL Club
Geelong
We lost all creativity in the second half.
Instead of carrying the ball and creating space in the forward line we popped it straight into the hands of their defence.
That last gasp run from the goal square by Stewart was an example of what we should have been trying much earlier. It didn't work out but at least it wasn't predictable.
I'll be happy to see Guthrie come back in, not for a tagging role, but to create. Please get well Tuohy, as well.
I felt like Constable and Atkins clamped up a bit yesterday. They looked like they were over thinking things.
The little backwards handballs to space that GWS used were the difference. They kept the ball moving forward and no amount of tackling from us was able to stop it.
They took chances. We didn't.
I think that was the difference.

Pollywaffle

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 2, 2008
adelaide
AFL Club
Geelong
We lost all creativity in the second half.
Instead of carrying the ball and creating space in the forward line we popped it straight into the hands of their defence.
That last gasp run from the goal square by Stewart was an example of what we should have been trying much earlier..
Yes.
I thought too many times we took conservative options which slowed the game and allowed them to set up comfortably. Guys like Blicavs, O’Connor in particular need to take it on a bit more especially when we are ahead in the play.And as pointed out, it is disappointing that we still chip a lot of kickouts to the pocket- old school stuff. Coaching issue?

Wasn't why we lost but it was a bit frustrating at the death. Should have locked them out in the first quarter when we were getting unpressured entries from centre bounces.
Their marking work just took the pressure off them and worked them back in, similar to last year's grandy. Big opportunity for a high skill side like Hawks to copy homework. Having only played once in 2 and a half weeks going into the hawks match is more concerning for me tbh
I think your battle hardened and bigger bodied mids will try to overpower our young lads

Max Milburn

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 10, 2018
Hobbiton, Tasmania
AFL Club
Geelong
Yes.
I thought too many times we took conservative options which slowed the game and allowed them to set up comfortably. Guys like Blicavs, O’Connor in particular need to take it on a bit more especially when we are ahead in the play.And as pointed out, it is disappointing that we still chip a lot of kickouts to the pocket- old school stuff. Coaching issue?
Not sure. I remember thinking when Scott walked out at three-quarter time, "Surely he'll fix this."
When you have a whole group of younger players though, it's hard to know whether they were following instructions properly or not.
They'll learn.
In the meantime, I think I'd like to see Narkle back in, and maybe Cam Guthrie.
We need more pace and more risk-takers.

goyoucatters

Norm Smith Medallist
Jan 31, 2008
Brisbane
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Stockport County, Chicago Cubs
One player for them who is criminally underrated is Haynes. He slaughtered us time and again on occasions our entries were the high ball coming in.

Haynes was certainly very noticeable intercepting the footy at half-forward for us.

What I also thought was quite noticeable was how often we kicked the ball to his advantage rather than towards the few forward players we had in the vicinity.

The 26 is the nicest guy in the AFL

56786179_2508576195838841_8716607325181313024_n.jpg

Ricketz

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 2, 2011
Wagga Wagga
AFL Club
Geelong
On yesterday's display, at our home, after a break, and given we were not blown out of the water by them in Q1, I definitely stick by that assertion that the only way we beat them again this year is IF they are off, because they appear to be superior to us in important areas.
Things can definitely change.
You may be correct, we could go to Sydney or ACT and beat them.
Certainly Melbourne would believe they could still beat us later this year.
But I just can't see it today.
Let's see if the second half by our guns yesterday was just an aberration.
The next 2 weeks will reveal plenty.
They led for 14 minutes of the game and by less than a kick, after having something like 80 extra disposals and an extra 10% time in possession and smashing us at the contest.

Sorry mate, but that was not a convincing win. We were off and they were on, and if you read anything into our future chances based off that game then you may as well read tea leaves.

Nickoo

Norm Smith Medallist
May 13, 2015
Melbourne
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Melbourne Victory
You'd hope so, given we beat them by 60 points in the corresponding game last season.

I think the general consensus is that last year they were hit by injuries and a lack of cohesion.

They’ve offloaded some non team players as well.

This first 6 rounds was deemed difficult by everyone for a reason.

We were hardly smashed by the way and only beaten by 1 and a bit goals each of the last three qtr.

What seemed problematic was our pressure through the middle was down 10% and therefore forward entries looked haphazard and easy for them to pick off.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Mr Blicavs

Basking in Premiership glory!
Aug 12, 2015
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Toronto Raptors - Maple Leafs
Lol at people suggesting that Guthrie is the answer
You almost get the feeling that some in here want the kids to fail so Guthrie can get a run...
Some just keep coming back for more dissapointment.
No changes this week... give the side the opportunity to redeem themselves as a group. Im backing them in

Last edited:
Back