2019 Draft thread

Sep 24, 2009
Right here
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Australian International Sides
What I was saying was that imo he is midfielder/fwd. He was played in the defensive area in his draft year and did pretty badly. So l wouldn't put him there.

But why put a player there that won;'t do a good job?

The reason we selected him...The club liked what they saw..obviously showed enough, in his injury depleted draft year, playing in that position..

Dec 1, 2013
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
The reason we selected him...The club liked what they saw..obviously showed enough, in his injury depleted draft year, playing in that position..
Obviously they liked him. But they picked him because he showed really good form in that mid/fwd position and was regularly in the bests early on. This is where he is being played as well in the reserves.

Sep 24, 2009
Right here
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Obviously they liked him. But they picked him because he showed really good form in that mid/fwd position and was regularly in the bests early on. This is where he is being played as well in the reserves.

As opposed to what it says on his profile...

Thomas Berry is a competitive beast, team player and strong tackler. He is considered a midfielder or small defender with impressive pace.

His attack on the ball and defensive spoiling was top notch during his Junior years playing for the Greater Western Victoria Rebels.

Berry is the younger brother of Lions' midfielder Jarrod.

https://www.lions.com.au/player-profile/thomas-berry

Dec 1, 2013
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions

briztoon

Wannabe Draft Nuffie
Nov 28, 2015
Brisbane
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
NUFC, Philadelphia 76'ers
They just used that because that was where he played for the majority of his draft year and they only put him in the defensive area because they had plenty of midfielders and they thought Berry had th speed to play on the quicker forwards. He didn't play well there. Ask the draft watchers like briztoon
Pretty much.

Sep 24, 2009
Right here
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
They just used that because that was where he played for the majority of his draft year and they only put him in the defensive area because they had plenty of midfielders and they thought Berry had th speed to play on the quicker forwards. He didn't play well there. Ask the draft watchers like briztoon

dunno about that...from this band of clips seems to know how to play defensive

eDPS

Premium Platinum
Nov 4, 2010
Melbourne - Eastern Suburbs
AFL Club
Essendon
Briz it was Lions Academy v Eastern Ranges and they lost by 11 points after the Lions lost 2 players in the first qtr to day ending injuries.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app
Big problems if it was Knights since they have been very average, a fair result against Eastern who would have been the stronger of the Metro teams missing their stars.

briztoon

Wannabe Draft Nuffie
Nov 28, 2015
Brisbane
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Briz it was Lions Academy v Eastern Ranges and they lost by 11 points after the Lions lost 2 players in the first qtr to day ending injuries.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app
Thanks. Thought I might have mixed up the Vic team.

Hope they aren’t serious injuries.

How did Reville, Martyn and Wischnat perform? Any of the other academy boys look good?

eDPS

Premium Platinum
Nov 4, 2010
Melbourne - Eastern Suburbs
AFL Club
Essendon
Thanks Ed. Did you watch the trial matches today?
I watched the Country and Metro trial games yesterday, all of Suns vs Oakleigh for notes today and watched parts of Lions/Eastern and Tas/Calder.

Too much footy I tell you what, all the streamed games is a double edged sword for me since I want to watch all the games but just don’t have the time to do so.

briztoon

Wannabe Draft Nuffie
Nov 28, 2015
Brisbane
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
I watched the Country and Metro trial games yesterday, all of Suns vs Oakleigh for notes today and watched parts of Lions/Eastern and Tas/Calder.

Too much footy I tell you what, all the streamed games is a double edged sword for me since I want to watch all the games but just don’t have the time to do so.
How did Lachlan Ash perform yesterday?

Dec 1, 2013
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
dunno about that...from this band of clips seems to know how to play defensive

Not sure what that clip is supposed to say. Most of the highlights were about him being involved offensively not so much defensively. And besides, you can't really gain much from highlights, because they were just that... highlights. You need to watch the whole game to really see how he goes.

Sep 24, 2009
Right here
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Not sure what that clip is supposed to say. Most of the highlights were about him being involved offensively not so much defensively. And besides, you can't really gain much from highlights, because they were just that... highlights. You need to watch the whole game to really see how he goes.

FFS..These highlights usually shows a players natural talent, which in this case highlights my original point that he has the ability to play as a smaller shut down defender..as you point out offensively....yes..as in attacking the ball and winning the one-on-one contests with the objective to keep his opponent out of the game.. as in shutting them down...that old adage "The best defense is a good offense"

Last edited:
Dec 1, 2013
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
FFS..These highlights usually shows a players natural talent, which in this case highlights my original point that he has the ability to play as a smaller shut down defender..as you point out offensively....yes..as in attacking the ball and winning the one-on-one contests with the objective to keep his opponent out of the game.. as in shutting them down...that old adage "The best defense is a good offense"
Dont agree at all. It doesn't show him doing a defensive job. It looks like it shows him doing a midfielders job of winning and running with the ball. Think there was 1 tackle in that video iirc. The highlights video shows the players bestparts of their game or most eyecatching. You wont be able to tell if he is a good small defender based on 1 minutes worth of highlights. If you don't agree thats fine. I suggest you look above when l tagged briztoon regarding how he went as a small defender in his draft year and where the club views him.

Dec 1, 2013
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
FFS..I watched his junior football and have seen what he can do 1st hand. He can play as a shut down defender. Which was been my original point Thanks for the condescending suggestion.
Well have you said that you watched him in his draft year? or 1st hand? How am l supposed to know what you do in your spare time. I am just going by what other draft watchers have said which is what l have said prior. There was a reason he went down the draft since going into the defenders. In any case, going to have to be a agree to disagree. Calm down man, just 2 people having a discussion. Allgood

Sep 24, 2009
Right here
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Well have you said that you watched him in his draft year? or 1st hand? How am l supposed to know what you do in your spare time. I am just going by what other draft watchers have said which is what l have said prior. There was a reason he went down the draft since going into the defenders. In any case, going to have to be a agree to disagree. Calm down man, just 2 people having a discussion. Allgood

I'm calm as...Yes, there was... If you ever get the chance.. have a chat to Brooke Brown, (North Ballarat Rebels welfare co-ordinator) it would be well worth it.. she had a lot to do with the Berry's when they were staying at older brother Joel's place in Ballarat.. and.... some credit her in keeping the boys together.

QLD Lion 2019

Debutant
Jan 5, 2019
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
How did Reville, Martyn and Wischnat perform? Any of the other academy boys look good? briztoon

Thanks briztoon,

Lions Academy 75 def by Eastern Ranges 86

A fast start to the game by Eastern's Chayce Black had the Lions on the back foot early who looked to struggle with the pace of the step up to a Vic Metro team. Black had multiple opportunities to hit the scoreboard early but missed his chances a few times and kicked a couple out on the full from memory. He has very good pace and presents well. BOG went to Eastern's Salele Feagaimalii who dominated centre clearances with his big frame. Kicked two last qtr goals at important times and did the team things when they needed to be done. Lions soon found some rhythm and worked back in to the game going into half time 12 points down. Will Martin worked hard for his game high 37 disposals but can turn the ball over a lot at crucial areas of the ground. His good is good, just needs tidy up skills and not burn others for the sake of a kick. Reville had 18 for the day but had little impact playing mainly outside wing and receives from the inside mids, needs to find his own football at times. Wischnat had 15 & 3 goals 2 behinds and the opportunity win the game twice in the last qtr, once marking nearly in the goal square, played on and missed and the 2nd a few minutes later having beat his opponent to find free space inside 35mtr and rushed his kick for a crucial miss. Similar to Martin his good can change games BUT...... Stackleberg (26 disp) & Marsh (20) came in as over agers and got their fair share of the pill but I could sense an unbalance to the roll they played and who and when they would off load, often hanging onto it too long and getting the receiving player into trouble because of it.
I liked Eastern's ball movement. Mark, handball off, run to help, pressure on the ball carrier, help each other etc etc. Lions individuals could take a lot from this game to develop their own team style. Sometimes the little things in games aren't picked up on the camera but mean a hell of a lot further up the ground. Lions 3rd qtr was exciting, fast ball, deep inside 50 allowing Blake Coleman to weave his magic and kick 3 in quick succession & 4 for the game. Cumberland (3 goals for the day) & Abberley both showing glimpses of class to snag 6 pointers to give the Lions a 12 point lead @ 3/4 time.

The contest overall wasn't pretty but was interesting because of the twist & turns through out the day. Lions had their chances and similar to the week before against the Suns got over ran in the final qtr. Tall forward Ward and small forward Taska went down with game ending injuries early. Is it fitness? Rotations? Coaching? Individuals? Im not sure looking from the the outside in but leading both games at 3/4 time and being over run is not what this group needs coming to the final 2 games of their series agains the Vics. Lions have not been blown out of the water in both the losses but I feel a lot of the work is being dominated by a few, and that obviously cant be sustained for 4 qtrs. Go Lions.

Attachments

• fullsizeoutput_1ead.jpeg
    fullsizeoutput_1ead.jpeg
    195.1 KB · Views: 177
Back