Obscure Players That You Remember

Remove this Banner Ad

Saw a TV segment on John Crawley today. Played 37 tests for England which is a lot more than I thought. He was one of those batsmen who seemed to find first class cricket a piece of piss but for some reason couldn't really translate it to the international scene. Now teaches history at a boarding school (and cricket director). Intelligent guy and was a real eye-pleasing player in his day.

Havent been through the whole thread, so not sure if it was mentioned, but i remember a mercantile mutual game, probably early 90s, where NSW player Wayne Holdsworth had a blinder! Dont remember anything else about him, but always stood out in my mind along with Richard Chee Quee.

Havent been through the whole thread, so not sure if it was mentioned, but i remember a mercantile mutual game, probably early 90s, where NSW player Wayne Holdsworth had a blinder! Dont remember anything else about him, but always stood out in my mind along with Richard Chee Quee.
Holdsworth toured with the 93 Ashes squad but didn't play Test.

Greg Campbell Tasmanian played a few tests in late 80s Australia. How he got a Ashes berth over Mike Whitney was criminal.

On iPad using BigFooty.com mobile app

I think it was Geoff Lawson (NSW Captain at the time) who mentioned in an interview once that that was the first time the previous summer's leading wicket taker from the Shield (NSW's Whitney, 1988-89) didn't go on the English Ashes tour.

Isn't Campbell the uncle of Ricky Ponting?

Holdsworth toured with the 93 Ashes squad but didn't play Test.

Was quite young at the time and only started following cricket. Didnt realise he was of a national standard/ quality. Now that i think about it, he did play for NSW, so was probably a 'lock' for the squad!
Also remember a Sri Lankan by the name Pushpakamarra (spelling).

I think it was Geoff Lawson (NSW Captain at the time) who mentioned in an interview once that that was the first time the previous summer's leading wicket taker from the Shield (NSW's Whitney, 1988-89) didn't go on the English Ashes tour.

Isn't Campbell the uncle of Ricky Ponting?
Most wickets that season was Tim May.

Campbell was only three wickets behind Whitney and Lawson and was the sort of young and raw quick who usually goes on that sort of tour. Man who should have missed out was Carl Rackemann.

Speaking if Big Carl, he was the leading wicket taker in the 84/5 shield and missed out on the Ashes. So Lawson is wrong, yet again.

Most wickets that season was Tim May.

Campbell was only three wickets behind Whitney and Lawson and was the sort of young and raw quick who usually goes on that sort of tour. Man who should have missed out was Carl Rackemann.

Speaking if Big Carl, he was the leading wicket taker in the 84/5 shield and missed out on the Ashes. So Lawson is wrong, yet again.

Fair enough, I hadn't cross-checked Lawson's claims.

Have to wonder how/why Trevor Hohns made it onto that tour ahead of Tim May there, though.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Fair enough, I hadn't cross-checked Lawson's claims.

Have to wonder how/why Trevor Hohns made it onto that tour ahead of Tim May there, though.
I've heard Geoff Lawson say that a few times. To be fair, I think he's sticking up for a mate and has forgotten the details. But this stuff becomes legend and taken as the truth because people parrot it without checking. Thinking media people here, not you.

Oh and Tim May was on the tour.

Broke a finger at a crucial time which allowed IR Healy to leap frog straight into the Aus team - absolute top drawer stumper
I was reunited with some autograph books that I thought long lost the other week and Anderson's autograph is in there. One page has Graeme Pollock, Barry Richards, Tiger O'Reilly and somewhat incongruously Winston Benjamin.

Matthew Nicholson.

matthew-nicholson-0350ef96-ee0f-403d-ad13-a625d44c262-resize-750.jpeg

Played for NSW and WA, got one test cap back in 1998.

He was quick but he was an arrogant f***head, ran into him once in a pub in Perth and I said "Hey Nicho" and he ignored me.

Then I said "You got one test cap you dickhead, you're not Glenn McGrath" and he ignored me again.

Noel David - was called up to the Indian tour of the WI out of nowhere.

Anyone remember Donovan Pagon? Played one test for the WI when they were decimated by withdrawals. Made 35 and looked very composed but was never heard from again.

Fazl-e-Akbar - astonishing record domestically then turned up in test cricket and was a military medium pacer!

Remove this Banner Ad

Back