Review Positives and Negatives vs Fremantle - Rd 4, 2019

ziad

Brownlow Medallist
May 2, 2009
Sydney
AFL Club
West Coast
The Roos Lyon style of suffercating play will never be good enough to beat good teams
WCE always had the game in their control and were never in danger of loosing
It’s just the game as a spectacle that suffers
Lyon believes that a close loss protects his arse and that is enough for him
I will take a bad win over a great loss any day - but freo don't have much better to look forward to

MadMundy

Brownlow Medallist
Mar 29, 2019
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Arsenal, Glory, Bulls
Thought I'd swing by and send my congratulations to you guys. We had numerous chances to hit the front but failed to capitalise. Still happy with the boy's efforts thinking we would get absolutely pumped, so glad we were able to keep up with you guys for most of it, it gives me some optimism but that's stung me in the past. Anyway boys, good game, and look forward to the next derby which should be a cracking one. Good luck until then.

avishka5

150 game legend.
10k Posts A Star Wars Fan Zombie Lover
Sep 1, 2014
Perth SOR
AFL Club
West Coast
**** we're spoilt; genuinely felt like a loss last night, went to bed pissed off and had to remind myself we won.

Bank it and never speak of it again.
Yeah i drank as if we lost yesterday.

We had 3 of our prime mids collect over 30 touches yesterday and another player also get 30 possessions. We usually flog s**t teams when that happens and it was disappointing to see us lose the contested possession count by a lot.

frenchconnection

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 16, 2009
Wembley downs
AFL Club
West Coast
The Roos Lyon style of suffercating play will never be good enough to beat good teams
Yes that game last night hurt my eyes badly - they are still in recovery mode🙄

twinkletoes#17

Coaster
May 30, 2016
Perth
AFL Club
West Coast

Amen to this!

All the idiot Freo supporters currently drinking the kool aid Ross is serving up.

That dude is a master manipulator. Will get a contract extension shortly.

twinkletoes#17

Coaster
May 30, 2016
Perth
AFL Club
West Coast
Thought I'd swing by and send my congratulations to you guys. We had numerous chances to hit the front but failed to capitalise. Still happy with the boy's efforts thinking we would get absolutely pumped, so glad we were able to keep up with you guys for most of it, it gives me some optimism but that's stung me in the past. Anyway boys, good game, and look forward to the next derby which should be a cracking one. Good luck until then.

Hmmm might rock on down to the Freo board and post there... lets see how that is received??

Don't come on our board and pump up your s**t team!

Keep up with us? If you think we were playing anywhere near our best you are dreaming. Freo supporters have always been in la-la land.

Sep 16, 2006
AFL Club
West Coast
Hmmm might rock on down to the Freo board and post there... lets see how that is received??

Keep up with us? If you think we were playing anywhere near our best you are dreaming. Freo supporters have always been in la-la land.
Come on, no need to be a dick.

May 14, 2008
Canberra
AFL Club
West Coast

Seriously? Come on. The guys come on here and congratulated us on the win, and has approached this board and posted without being a tool (before the game too). Let's not become one of those boards that can't handle oppo supporters here for our own propensity to drink out of our koolaid.

The fact is they did get close. Were we better than them? Yes. Should we have won by a shotload more? Yes. But we didn't. And realistically they were a couple of Taberners away from sneaking a lead. Let's not get too precious.

Sent from my CPH1707 using Tapatalk

Avalor

Brownlow Medallist
Aug 15, 2009
Jakarta
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
East Perth, Donnybrook, Chelsea
Pay the ******* free kicks you dumb maggot ****s. Instead of the Freo hierarchy high fiving and fizzing from their bumholes over Lyons genius coaching we win by a comfortable 6 goals.

100% concur. Very little given our way all evening. Some would say a Ross conspiracy, and the way the AFL work, who knows?

Dec 18, 2005
Perth
AFL Club
West Coast
So I decided to watch a replay for whatever reason.

Redden - Didn't realise how good he was, would be close to BOG for us. Put his head over the ball numerous times. Handballed to the best option, even holding the ball longer to find the right option. Kicked with precision. Tackled hard and most impressively was extremely good at defending the air, he had some really good spoils with incredible closing speed managing not to give away a free. Won't get credited with much for a few times he stripped the ball out of opposition hands as well. Ran hard to provide a marking option (10 uncontested) and is just an all round solid player, he doesn't really have a weakness to his game when he plays like that.

Hurn - Better than I first thought. I love the idea of Hurn being a loose man and winning the Ross Glendenning because Lyon won't play without a loose man himself. Our loose man was infinitely better than the Dockers'. Still I think he made some silly errors but nothing that compares to the brilliant work he did, especially in contested marking and intercept possessions of which he had 15. He did kick sideways a lot, but this was due more to Freo being well set up. Hurn likes to maintain possession more compared to Shep.

Shep - Was best on the first half, possibly the entire game. He has one of the best leaps in the game and he always times it to perfection with a massive fist, but I've noticed he backs himself for a mark more these days. His offensive running power is being put to better use and he had 14 uncontested marks. He likes to turn and go and when in doubt he will go long down the line to the ruckman, but none of his kicks were bad.

Duggan - I love how well he is kicking the ball this year! Had some really good kicks (and one horrible right foot grubber). His follow up work can probably only be matched by Cole at ground level. Incredible willingness to tackle and knowledge to keep the feet when getting tackled. Played one hell of a game on second viewing.

Barrass - Can't remember a single glaring error from this guy for the entire year, he's one of the best there is right now in defence. Man mountain, selfless and strong overhead. He never goes into a contest and doesn't impact it.

Cripps - Jesus christ he runs hard. Not a standout game or anything but this bloke loves a sprint.

Gaff - Can't fault his efforts, especially on defence. He's come into the season rusty with the ball in hand though and I think we could alter his role a little bit to get him into open space a touch more. Had 4 tackles and a number of other time he basically pressured the ball out. However his ball use was average at best. I do wonder if his GPS was working because he seemed to be busting his arse as per usual.

Negatives:

Not holding back in the contest - Too many people going up for the same ball, both up forward (Allen, Ryan, JK) and on the wing (Hurn, Vardy, Duggo) are just a few examples of some instances where one player had to stay down and Freo did and were rewarded. Our players at ground level, especially up forward were never positioned correctly. Our mids got drawn in a few metres too close to the contest and Freo had easy handballs to the outside.

Dropped marks - Shep, Hutch, Rotham, Gaff, Vardy, JK, Hickey, Darling. I'm talking about uncontested marks, where all the work is done and it's hit them square in the hands/off the chest. There were so many occasions that killed the play due to simple errors like this.

Kicking skills - Redden and Hurn were the standouts here. Many others had questionable kicks at different times. Not kicking to advantage side is a big one for me. The kick doesn't need to be perfect but give the guys a chance.

Umpiring - It's irrelevant but they were pretty stubborn in not paying us some in the backs and Freo players dropping the ball. If that's their attempt at not giving in to the home crowd it's pathetically bias. However we were so s**t we didn't deserve the free kicks.

** Masten notes - Those complaining his turnover kick to JK went to the other end for a goal, yes it did, after about a minute of play including a stoppage and two mistakes (possible turnovers?) from Hurn. It was a s**t kick but wasn't the only one.

My gripe is situations similar to the one below where people see Rotham play on quickly here to a hard running Masten. Masten takes the mark and is not clear to play on as he'll be tackled. Goes behind the mark and Ryan leads well but has about 1m separation so he doesn't bite the bullet, Ryan goes back towards goals. Crowd groans, people behind me bag him out. Then Allen leads with 2m separation and Masten hits him on the tit. Remarks like "about time" or just complete crickets from those around me.
koVsJ4S.gif

Then there's another moment minutes later he gets a mark and doesn't play on as there's nobody in space. Crowd groans, commentators mention it (thus people watching at home take note). He passes safely to the side and runs off for another uncontested mark a few kicks later. This one he delivers to Ryan perfectly who is again perfectly covered/drops the chest mark and people behind me bag Masten as if any of it he was responsible for everything that went wrong.

avishka5

150 game legend.
10k Posts A Star Wars Fan Zombie Lover
Sep 1, 2014
Perth SOR
AFL Club
West Coast
Is it me or do we follow a great win moral boosting win by playing ordinary football the following week.
Saints and Port games were followed by very ordinary games the following week.

TBH Port are decent and this performance is timely reminder that we have plenty of improvement left this season.

JD and JK have been decent this season but those two can get a lot better over the next two weeks.

2 positives for me was that Redden and Yeo played their best game last night and have found form.

Dec 18, 2005
Perth
AFL Club
West Coast

Calm down, MadMundy has posted here before and is nice and respectable. To be honest, we didn't look like we'd lose exactly but Freo had us covered in effort all night and could easily have been closer with better accuracy.

woosha24

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 5, 2015
AFL Club
West Coast
Forward line was poor in general, all leading to the same place, all flying for the same mark

Noticed this too. No idea WTF was going on last night - the boys are usually much better about one going up and one staying down/ providing protection. Was scarily Freo-like at times.

twinkletoes#17

Coaster
May 30, 2016
Perth
AFL Club
West Coast
Come on, no need to be a dick.

Pfft save it.

Being a dick is going on the opposition board and talking up your team.

He can save it for the game thread - what is the point of posting it in our +ve -ve thread about how they kept up with us blah blah blah?

Yeah really relevant to this topic

twinkletoes#17

Coaster
May 30, 2016
Perth
AFL Club
West Coast
Seriously? Come on. The guys come on here and congratulated us on the win, and has approached this board and posted without being a tool (before the game too). Let's not become one of those boards that can't handle oppo supporters here for our own propensity to drink out of our koolaid.

The fact is they did get close. Were we better than them? Yes. Should we have won by a shotload more? Yes. But we didn't. And realistically they were a couple of Taberners away from sneaking a lead. Let's not get too precious.

Sent from my CPH1707 using Tapatalk

Please - this is the EAGLES positive and negative thread - not a thread for opposition supporters to come in and pat themselves on the back

twinkletoes#17

Coaster
May 30, 2016
Perth
AFL Club
West Coast
So I decided to watch a replay for whatever reason.

Redden - Didn't realise how good he was, would be close to BOG for us. Put his head over the ball numerous times. Handballed to the best option, even holding the ball longer to find the right option. Kicked with precision. Tackled hard and most impressively was extremely good at defending the air, he had some really good spoils with incredible closing speed managing not to give away a free. Won't get credited with much for a few times he stripped the ball out of opposition hands as well. Ran hard to provide a marking option (10 uncontested) and is just an all round solid player, he doesn't really have a weakness to his game when he plays like that.

Hurn - Better than I first thought. I love the idea of Hurn being a loose man and winning the Ross Glendenning because Lyon won't play without a loose man himself. Our loose man was infinitely better than the Dockers'. Still I think he made some silly errors but nothing that compares to the brilliant work he did, especially in contested marking and intercept possessions of which he had 15. He did kick sideways a lot, but this was due more to Freo being well set up. Hurn likes to maintain possession more compared to Shep.

Shep - Was best on the first half, possibly the entire game. He has one of the best leaps in the game and he always times it to perfection with a massive fist, but I've noticed he backs himself for a mark more these days. His offensive running power is being put to better use and he had 14 uncontested marks. He likes to turn and go and when in doubt he will go long down the line to the ruckman, but none of his kicks were bad.

Duggan - I love how well he is kicking the ball this year! Had some really good kicks (and one horrible right foot grubber). His follow up work can probably only be matched by Cole at ground level. Incredible willingness to tackle and knowledge to keep the feet when getting tackled. Played one hell of a game on second viewing.

Barrass - Can't remember a single glaring error from this guy for the entire year, he's one of the best there is right now in defence. Man mountain, selfless and strong overhead. He never goes into a contest and doesn't impact it.

Cripps - Jesus christ he runs hard. Not a standout game or anything but this bloke loves a sprint.

Gaff - Can't fault his efforts, especially on defence. He's come into the season rusty with the ball in hand though and I think we could alter his role a little bit to get him into open space a touch more. Had 4 tackles and a number of other time he basically pressured the ball out. However his ball use was average at best. I do wonder if his GPS was working because he seemed to be busting his arse as per usual.

Negatives:

Not holding back in the contest - Too many people going up for the same ball, both up forward (Allen, Ryan, JK) and on the wing (Hurn, Vardy, Duggo) are just a few examples of some instances where one player had to stay down and Freo did and were rewarded. Our players at ground level, especially up forward were never positioned correctly. Our mids got drawn in a few metres too close to the contest and Freo had easy handballs to the outside.

Dropped marks - Shep, Hutch, Rotham, Gaff, Vardy, JK, Hickey, Darling. I'm talking about uncontested marks, where all the work is done and it's hit them square in the hands/off the chest. There were so many occasions that killed the play due to simple errors like this.

Kicking skills - Redden and Hurn were the standouts here. Many others had questionable kicks at different times. Not kicking to advantage side is a big one for me. The kick doesn't need to be perfect but give the guys a chance.

Umpiring - It's irrelevant but they were pretty stubborn in not paying us some in the backs and Freo players dropping the ball. If that's their attempt at not giving in to the home crowd it's pathetically bias. However we were so s**t we didn't deserve the free kicks.

** Masten notes - Those complaining his turnover kick to JK went to the other end for a goal, yes it did, after about a minute of play including a stoppage and two mistakes (possible turnovers?) from Hurn. It was a s**t kick but wasn't the only one.

My gripe is situations similar to the one below where people see Rotham play on quickly here to a hard running Masten. Masten takes the mark and is not clear to play on as he'll be tackled. Goes behind the mark and Ryan leads well but has about 1m separation so he doesn't bite the bullet, Ryan goes back towards goals. Crowd groans, people behind me bag him out. Then Allen leads with 2m separation and Masten hits him on the tit. Remarks like "about time" or just complete crickets from those around me.
koVsJ4S.gif

Then there's another moment minutes later he gets a mark and doesn't play on as there's nobody in space. Crowd groans, commentators mention it (thus people watching at home take note). He passes safely to the side and runs off for another uncontested mark a few kicks later. This one he delivers to Ryan perfectly who is again perfectly covered/drops the chest mark and people behind me bag Masten as if any of it he was responsible for everything that went wrong.

Had Masto on my negatives - but you have made some very good points I have gotta say

Excellent work by the media team.

3. Every club has a player that is often targeted by their own fans. It’s bewildering and obviously if the particular player was not doing his job, he wouldn’t be selected. At the Eagles that man is often Chris Masten and those critical of his efforts need to take the blinkers off. He was terrific against Fremantle, had 16 possessions and seven marks connecting defence to attack. He was prepared to pull the trigger on challenging kicks, both through the midfield and into the attacking arc, and had a good success rate. Sacrificial running is another great asset in his weekly output.

Suck it, haters. Masto is here to stay.

Dec 6, 2009
AFL Club
West Coast
Negative - the two sh*tstain eagle supporters next to me - who thought getting annhilated, swearing every third word and spilling beer on half the crowd around them

Positive: the calm shown by the docker supporter in front who wore three spills of beer down his back

Just get them removed mate. The ground control people are pretty happy kicking drunks out these days

Luuuc

Premiership Player
Jun 26, 2011
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Perth Wildcats, Perth Lynx
Amen to this!

All the idiot Freo supporters currently drinking the kool aid Ross is serving up.

That dude is a master manipulator. Will get a contract extension shortly.
And so he should, too. He deserves one.
No rucks. No Fyfe. Lose Hamling early in the game. Yet they are only some inaccurate kicking away from knocking off the raging premiership favourites on their own home ground in front of 58k rabid, violence-condoning hoodlums.
I reckon that performance alone is worth an extra couple of years added to his current contract.

:praying:

Back