Will Hawthorn make the 8?

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
That’s not chads thing

Wingard will be an elite pick up for US...had a interrupted preseason with a calf injury and hasn’t played with any of the current team. It will take 4-5 weeks for him to gain match fitness. Yes he had a shocker today, but so did more than half the team. He’s only 24 and a proven match winner. With OUR current midfield worries, he will start to play more midfield minutes over the next few weeks, but he was recruited as a replacement for Cyril. He will play the majority of his time as a forward. 14-18 touches a week with his class will be enough. This current side has a lot more worries than wingard.

Picked us to finish 12th after Mitchell's injury haven't seen anything to make me change my mind either way.

This year should be all about building some midfield depth.

Worpel has shown this year he has the ability to make the next step up. Having so much responsibility thrown his way but the character has shown to not only accept it but exceed all expectation has been spectacular.

If it wasn't for the 10 game rule he'd win the RS easy.

Worpel has shown this year he has the ability to make the next step up. Having so much responsibility thrown his way but the character has shown to not only accept it but exceed all expectation has been spectacular.

If it wasn't for the 10 game rule he'd win the RS easy.
I agree big fan of Worpel.

As much as it sucks Mitchell is injured it gives us an opportunity to get more into the midfield mix for the future.

No chance. No one else seriously threatening. Looking at the 8 right now;
Lions
Saints
GC
Fremantle

They aren’t getting near it at the business end. Hawthorn fielded a Box Hill side yesterday. They’ll weather some storms and get through enough wins to get themselves in. They’re probably a top 4 team when fully fit.

Top 4 will probably be a combination of Eagles, GWS, Geelong, Hawthorn, Richmond, Melbourne, Collingwood. Maybe Port or Essendon. Looking at the inconsistent nature of Melbourne, Port and Essendon, and Hawthorns ability to stay steady under pressure, they’re right in the mix for a top 5 finish.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

According to Squiggle that win put the saints just in the 8 at seasons end and us just out.

Thats probably it how we are travelling - just stay above par eg 5-5 though and who knows

I'm not disagreeing, but they weren't full strength either
No they weren’t, but you’re just a better side. It was evidenced by your ability to use and control uncontested possession where they got pushed into a keepings off game and struggled. Same as the Bulldogs when you played them. 30 points up at one point.

Hawthorn have an elite uncontested game.

I really like Worpel, and if Constable hadn't of turned out to be another good pick by Wells, I'd be ruing the fact we didn't pick him in that draft. Also like Cousins, Hardwick, Impey, Mitchell, O'Meara, Wingard (when he's actually putting in the grunt work), Breust, Shiels, Scrimshaw, Gunston, Scully, Morrison and (as much as I think he is a deadset tool) Sicily (as a player, not a person).

With the above said, I don't know if the above is enough to put you in contention for finals this year, as Roughie is definitely past it, alongside Poppy and Frawley, Birch and Burgoyne now with their injuries piling up

These are the players I don't think are any better than fringe players: Glass, Nash, Pittonet, Walker, Minchington, Miles, Moore, O'Brien, Schoenmakers.

A few others like Lewis and Brand are still a ?, but if you take the above and combine them with likely impending retirements, I'm not sure the depth is there to cover injuries when they hit (which looks like it's now the case)

I still think you'll finish around 9-10th or so with a chance of sneaking into the 8, but I can't see any better than that

Last edited:
It white line fever with Sicily. Of your fringe list, there's most hope for Nash, Walker, Miles

Who knows, it the medical room is worst case, you might see a few more young'uns on monday

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back