Preview Round 5, 2019: Melbourne v St.Kilda - MCG, Saturday 20th April, 4:35PM AEST

Who Wins?

• Demons

Votes: 21 27.3%
  • Saints

Votes: 56 72.7%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Majority of teams are made up of mostly average players according to opposition supporters.

I’d not swap any of Hunt, Harmes, Melhsham, Spargo, Stretch, Frost, O McDonald, Fritsch, Wagner x 2, ANB, Pruess, and this list doesn’t include N Jones who is near finished, for pretty much any Saint 22 who played today, and I’d argue there’s a few more.
Melbourne believed their own hype, and that is their right, but it has no real baring on this years standings.
They’re an average team with an excellent ruck and poor forward line. Hogan is a understated loss more in the fact that TMac is now focused as a forward and no longer a swing man, more work goes into him and the reality is, it’s much harder to be a full time forward than a pinch hitter.
I personally see him back in defence by mid year. Then who contests the forward entries?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I think you're underrating Harmes, Fritsch and particularly Melksham, all three would comfortably get a game at every club, but the others you aren't wrong on going off this year's form (apologies to Hunt who has five in two games). Our depth players fired last year, and this year they haven't. Depth players are important, and St Kilda's seem to be playing well this season.

Mediocre is harsh I think mate, a lot of the mediocre players you’re referring to are young blokes that have actually really stepped up and improved on last year if I’m honest.

Then finding guys that we’ve brought in and that are playing well doesn’t necessarily make them mediocre! Maybe they aren’t bad players?!

I just think there needs to be some credit given to these blokes at the moment because we are getting next to nothing from anyone outside of our fans.

Well said. So true about the external perceptions. My thinking is that we have "HAD" a bunch of young average players coming through, whom have been regular enough members of a young workmanlike side, that are now becoming better because they are a year older, have had another pre-season, are still yet to reach their ceiling...and are beginning to play to their potential within structures that assist our developments strengths. I'd much rather the team be the star of the show winning games consistently, than have a couple of A graders who have great highlight reels but can't get the team over the line.

Gawn is going to dominate the Hit-Outs, at least Marshal can match his influence around the ground.

Steele will have to take Oliver on you’d think, and I wonder if we need someone to make Brayshaw accountable.

Their forward line isn’t the best at the moment and their defence has been leaky. They have a better ruck department and a better clearance team. We have a better running game and our defence is better organised. Our forward line isn’t exactly working well at the moment either though, so it could be a low scoring game.

We can beat them on transition and by locking it up forward. But their midfield is strong, so we could be in for a tough match.

I’ll be a lot more confident with Geary and Steven back in, but we’ll have to wait and see on them.

I say we switch it often and control the game with tempo to keep the stoppages out of it. And if Steven comes back in we could maybe put Gresh forward again for a game to try and take advantage of their leaky defence.

Saints by 15.

i dunno, going by richo's presser I think Kent might get dropped. He was basically praising him for not continuing his s**t game into the second half. I've heard richo use those kind of compliments before, and I don't think he's being malicious or anything, he's just positive like that, but really when it gets to selection Kent is out.

*and with this post I have guaranteed Kent's selection for the rest of the year :drunk:

It's funny you mention that. I took it the other way, I thought Richo was happy the way Kent went about it and was "practically" guaranteeing Kent another game. I reckon he'll be gifted another couple of games regardless, I don't know why, but the selectors obviously see something that be brings to the table that those pushing up aren't bringing. Also can't see them tinkering too much with what appears to be a winning formula. However if I was Kent, I would want to be offering a tad more than what he has over the last couple of rounds. Goodwill can only go so far.

Well said. So true about the external perceptions. My thinking is that we have "HAD" a bunch of young average players coming through, whom have been regular enough members of a young workmanlike side, that are now becoming better because they are a year older, have had another pre-season, are still yet to reach their ceiling...and are beginning to play to their potential within structures that assist our developments strengths. I'd much rather the team be the star of the show winning games consistently, than have a couple of A graders who have great highlight reels but can't get the team over the line.
Yeah I agree mate, I think they are hitting their straps which is good, I am still of the belief one of the worst things that happened to us was probably over achieving way quicker than people thought, the 12 and 11 wins seasons 2-3 years ago really in the long run didn’t help us with outside perception of what we should be by now and all that.

We got much better really quick with some really young guys and greats of the club still playing. Last year was a terrible year for fans and the club as a whole but we probably learnt more as a whole saints family last year than we did the years we were winning games prior.

I think it holds us in good shape this year because the players and coaches realise what went wrong and are acting to fix it! And the belief is there that they can do it.

Kinda annoyed Clark started on ball and had 12 touches early into second then classic richo moves him down back the rest of the game because of McKenzie and finds it twice in two and a half quarters. Why can’t we play our young guns in the middle for a full game and let them flourish like other clubs? It’s not like he had 2 touches and was completely shie. Anyway hind for McKenzie Geary for kent saints by 14

Kinda annoyed Clark started on ball and had 12 touches early into second then classic richo moves him down back the rest of the game because of McKenzie and finds it twice in two and a half quarters. Why can’t we play our young guns in the middle for a full game and let them flourish like other clubs? It’s not like he had 2 touches and was completely shie. Anyway hind for McKenzie Geary for kent saints by 14
Didn’t you answer your own question?

He was moved back because of the McKenzie injury, completely understandable.

Hope McKenzie gets up but it’ll be up to the response from concussion, probably misses one.

Geary for McKenzie or Paton if DMac gets up.

Steven for Kent.

Kent 100% should be out but I have a feeling Richo loves him and he's going to stay in. The guy has 2 goals and 5 tackles from 4 games as a small forward. Lonie has 5 & 16, Parker has 3 & 16 while Long has 3 & 9 from 2 games. He has offered absolutely nothing.

Geary will come in but the question is, will it be for McKenzie or Paton? Paton had an excellent second half after McKenzie went down and really doesn't deserve to be dropped, but he might be the unlucky exclusion.

Personally, these are the changes I would make

Out: Kent, McKenzie, Paton
In: Steven, Hind, Joyce

B: Joyce, Brown, Webster
HB: Savage, Wilkie, Hind
C: Billings, Steele, Gresham
HF: Parker, Bruce, Long
F: Lonie, Battle, Membrey

Foll: Marshall, Steven, Ross
Int: Acres, Clark, Sinclair, Newnes

However I suspect it will be Geary for McKenzie/Paton (depending on availability) and Steven for Clark.

I think you're underrating Harmes, Fritsch and particularly Melksham, all three would comfortably get a game at every club, but the others you aren't wrong on going off this year's form (apologies to Hunt who has five in two games). Our depth players fired last year, and this year they haven't. Depth players are important, and St Kilda's seem to be playing well this season.

Fritsch is close to the worst player in the AFL. Looks like he took up the game last week.

I know you don't normally make a lot of changes to a winning side, but I'd love to see all for Steven, Geary and Hind come in.

Hind is in cracking form right now and his run on the MCG against a side not known for their pace could he a huge factor.

Mckenzie and Kent out for Geary and Steven. Someone unlucky for Hind.

This is going to be tough just based on the fact we get a 6 day break whilst Melbourne gets a ******* 9 day break. How the christ the AFL can justify that kind of fixture disparity is absolutely beyond me. Considering there is an easter monday game on Melb vs Saints should have been on that day.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

That’s me! Makes us a bunch of good players playing poorly. Wasn’t meant to be an insult mate, I don’t think anyone least of all here thinks you have a flag list playing out there. Particularly with three of your best on the sidelines. But you’re 3-1. On the other hand, we were close to flag favourites and we’re 1-3. Funny game, football.
"Close to flag favourites"

Mate if you call 20/1 "close to favourite" things don't look that flash for your shirt and house.

That’s me! Makes us a bunch of good players playing poorly. Wasn’t meant to be an insult mate, I don’t think anyone least of all here thinks you have a flag list playing out there. Particularly with three of your best on the sidelines. But you’re 3-1. On the other hand, we were close to flag favourites and we’re 1-3. Funny game, football.

Well, you will want to hope your good players step up otherwise our 'mediocre' players will run over the top of them.

We seem destined to always be compared to Melbourne due to the timings of our rebuilds etc.

Roo about to talk Saints on SEN

For those that missed it, the two main points:

1. The team is playing to their strengths. Last year we were #1 at playing on from marks & through he corridor. We constantly turned it over in the back half exposing our defence. This year we are taking less risk by playing down the line & controlling the ball out of the back half instead of playing on.

2. Effort. There is an obvious increase in effort from the players. Last year was a grind & effort took a dip. It’s back.

Lade, Rats & Richo all got a wrap. Surprised Playfair wasn’t mentioned. Our backline is the biggest improvement. We are so well drilled in the back half. It’s almost impossible for the opposition to get an easy uncontested mark in our D50.

Lads, a month ago the consensus in here was that you'd botched the list build and the coach should have been canned. Thrilled for you that the younger players are standing up and the game plan is standing up. Forgive me if I don't think you have a top 8 list on paper. Did I come across like I was bigging up Melbourne in turn? As I said - good players playing like trash, and 1-3 is what we have on the board. I have expected to win our first four games this year and we've come up trumps in one. I don't expect to win this one. An organised side playing together will always beat a disorganised one.

Yep this seems fair. Has been good especially to see Billings put it all together. Some of these guys have taken huge strides from where they were.

Our list doesn't read pretty but it's super effective for the way we play. Melbourne are like some 50 year old accountant that went out and bought a convertible Mustang, at the moment you got a bit ahead of yourselves and started to hit the dating sites, you were feeling pretty good but first date and you went a bit fast and the toupee blew off and the fake tan started running in the sun. Saints are more like a pig shooters ute with a Max Max crew hanging over the side. You campaigners just took a wrong turn and are about to feel pain of a wrong turn into a bad neighbourhood.

For those that missed it, the two main points:

1. The team is playing to their strengths. Last year we were #1 at playing on from marks & through he corridor. We constantly turned it over in the back half exposing our defence. This year we are taking less risk by playing down the line & controlling the ball out of the back half instead of playing on.

2. Effort. There is an obvious increase in effort from the players. Last year was a grind & effort took a dip. It’s back.

Lade, Rats & Richo all got a wrap. Surprised Playfair wasn’t mentioned. Our backline is the biggest improvement. We are so well drilled in the back half. It’s almost impossible for the opposition to get an easy uncontested mark in our D50.
Yeah mate, I agree 100% our backline has been our strength this year. We seem so well drilled and discipline when the ball goes down there. To see guys like Battle and Wilkie with just a handful of games between them both look like they've played 100 games is pleasing.

It will be am interesting game this week. Melbourne have let 50% more points through than us. They are struggling with their defence and don't seem to have a lot of structure.

I would keep Kent in this week. Nothing fires up someone like coming up against their old side and proving a point.
If he can't deliver a full 4 quarter performance, then drop him but he has something to prove this week.
Who goes out for Steven and Geary if they come up though?

Not to mention Hind is behind down the door.

I want Clark to keep playing but he did look a bit off the pace in a few contests. He was the one player in the chain that got tackled a few times. You can't expect players to get better at reading the pace leaving them in the VFL though. I was pretty comfortable with him coming out of the heat a bit.

Who goes out for Steven and Geary if they come up though?

Not to mention Hind is behind down the door.
You'd think McKenzie will be unlikely then its either Kent or Paton.

Kent seems to have been playing a team orientated role that we "Bigfootyites" aren't fully aware of at the moment so I think it will be Paton and he will be very stiff. Started slowly but in the end looked pretty good down back - can actually kick with both feet, composed good decision maker.

PLUS his first three games he played as a small forward and kicked a goal a game and on Sunday came in at the very last minute to play as a small defender on one of Breust, Puopolo or Wingard.

AS for Hind - jeez he was a class above the rest of the Sandy team - will be interesting to see how they can fit him in.

This week is easy for me. Geary is right to play. Steven should be and Hind needs his chance.

Out: Patton, McKenzie ( Concussion ), and Kent.
In: Geary, Hind, Steven.

I wouldn't mind Hind in the small forward spot, he's seriously quick, he's be good at getting to anyone trying to leave the area. He'd have the Dees disposal pressured. Even on a wing.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back