Mega Thread Port Forum 'General AFL Talk' Thread Part 11

Wingard played a game today worse than any game he played at Port for a long time, two games in to his Hawthorn career.

He's going to regress to Rioli-tier performances and be praised for it.

Every 4 or 5 weeks he'll pull his finger out for a last quarter as indicated by the tsunami of media jizz flowing from over the border. Good career move.

This is the first time Impey and Wingard have lost to St. Kilda (excluding pre-season).
Gonna be interesting to see how long Chad is allowed to coast along in a peripheral role Peter's-brother-style if Hawks spend a couple years out of finals

Sep 9, 2008
adelaide
Whatever Wingard did or didn't do for Hawthorn today, it can't possibly be as bad as what the two players we traded him for did yesterday - Burton giving up the double goal and Duursma missing from 10 metres with 2 minutes on the clock. Probably the wrong weekend to be having a go at Chad.

Yeah nah

Burton shouldn’t have done it but I’ve seen push in the backs on kicks not paid every game much less not paid as a free kick in the goal square. We won’t see a call like that for another 10 years.

Duursma should have kicked the goal but he was around 30+ out not 10. It was close to going in as well so I can live with that from a young kid.

MrMeaner

Jan 15, 2004
That last decision I can live with, along with the deal itself. Someone wants to go, you trade them a year out while you have more leverage than in a contract renewal year. This happens.

But it's absolutely one of our worst ever list- and person- management performances to let things fester on, to let them get to the point where we told him to go explore his options and were still surprised at how he reacted. I don't understand how you get to such a deep professional disconnect, unless you're dealing with the most single minded "outcome-oriented" club management ever.

Yeah. I roll all that up into the one ‘decision’ in my thinking.

Gonna be interesting to see how long Chad is allowed to coast along in a peripheral role Peter's-brother-style if Hawks spend a couple years out of finals

It's a win-win for Hawthorn. If they're playing finals they have Chad as one of the most dangerous forwards in the comp, if they're out of finals they can say to their fans "look over here at the shiny new Cyril, that goal he kicked 3 weeks ago was Cyrilsational!!"

Chad made the decision to coast the rest of his career. It worked a bloody charm for Shaun but lightning won't be striking twice at Hawthorn.

Nov 6, 2014
And how his ego would cope with a proper Clarko spray or if the adoring Hawks faithful decide turn off on him.
At the moment he is living off the myth of Chad and the Hawks BF are happy enough with his efforts but they’ll surely start to get restless if he doesn’t live up to his hype.
Still he looks to be enjoying the gold and brown so far, interesting times.

The only reason everyone has won and lost is because the AFL fixtured all the s**t teams to play each other early and all the good teams to play each other early. The gaps will start to show soon.

Maybe you should give your crystal ball to Clarko then.

“Your crystal ball is as good as mine.”

Side note: I actually have a genuine crystal ball with which I scry sometimes :p

Smithy7

10k Posts
Mar 1, 2014
South of Scotland
It's a win-win for Hawthorn. If they're playing finals they have Chad as one of the most dangerous forwards in the comp, if they're out of finals they can say to their fans "look over here at the shiny new Cyril, that goal he kicked 3 weeks ago Cyrilsational!!"

Chad made the decision to coast the rest of his career. It worked a bloody charm for Shaun but lightning won't be striking twice at Hawthorn.
I still remember when Chad marked the ball about 30m out against Hawthorn. Instead of going back and kicking for goal he played on and missed.
We got beaten by several points and missed the next game ...Grand Final.

Whatever Wingard did or didn't do for Hawthorn today, it can't possibly be as bad as what the two players we traded him for did yesterday - Burton giving up the double goal and Duursma missing from 10 metres with 2 minutes on the clock. Probably the wrong weekend to be having a go at Chad.
One of the guys I sit next to at the footy was telling me before the game that Duursma took several shots at goal from a similar spot, and he missed every one of them to the left. It's clearly a fault with his kicking, but he's only a kid - plenty of time to correct it.

Geez Cornes really hoeing into Crows, Pyke’s coaching and selections this am.
He had better do the same with Port this am.
Just imagine next week's roasting if they lose to the Suns this week. Adelaide has never lost to Gold Coast, but the way the Crows are playing, that won't count for much on Sunday.

Chrizzt

Aug 17, 2009
Just imagine next week's roasting if they lose to the Suns this week. Adelaide has never lost to Gold Coast, but the way the Crows are playing, that won't count for much on Sunday.
They'll beat the suns comfortably next week, and Walker will kick 3 goals and the world will be alright again

Alberton Proud

May 24, 2012
Beachside
Yeah so GC vs. Carlton drew 14,500 at Metricon.

North vs. Crows drew 17,000 at Marvel.

I reckon this is pretty big news that hasn't been picked up.

Would have been at least 5k Crows there too

Time to relocate NM to Tassie

Surely they'll get bigger crowds there

GC what's new - could win 10 flags in a row and they'd still get 15k max anyway

PowerLil

Oct 8, 2012
Western Suburbs
People criticising Duursma for missing that shot should redirect their angst to perennial poor shots at goal and supposed leaders like Gray, Westhoff, Wines etc. Xavier played pretty well and gave us plenty of drive off his wing. Bassett too was less than complimentary about his game which was bloody poor form. Really don't like Bassett.

Nov 6, 2014
One of the guys I sit next to at the footy was telling me before the game that Duursma took several shots at goal from a similar spot, and he missed every one of them to the left. It's clearly a fault with his kicking, but he's only a kid - plenty of time to correct it.
If he wants to fix his kicking, he might be better served moving to another club lol.

Magus

10k Posts Bring Back the Bars
Dec 31, 2013
Dallas Mavericks
Wingard played a game today worse than any game he played at Port for a long time, two games in to his Hawthorn career.

Not sure it was much worse than what how he was playing for us last year before we moved him into the midfield. Pretty standard I thought.

jac147

Jun 10, 2015
I know it’s a long time ago but I remember when Chad was first on our list back in Primus’s time. As a junior and with his first years with us he was always criticised for putting his body, especially his head, on the line. He had a bit of kamikaze in him and then he found that he didn’t need to do that, so that trait disappeared from his game and he relied on his skill and footy nous. Then his last three years with us he seemed so disinterested and the club and him just had to part company.