Welcome Welcome to Hawthorn: James Cousins

Remove this Banner Ad

Cousins definitely has a place in the best 22 next year if he can work on a few areas. At this stage he’s clearly ahead of Lovell and O’Rourke in the pecking order but just behind Worpel.
Cousins better than worpel

Does a lot of hacking it forward but it’s usually when there is zero time to dispose of the ball. Get the sense his kicks forward are by instruction. Seems to have the clearing ball role
When we can get some more midfield depth in to help him he will benefit greatly, get first hands on the ball and then can dish off Mitchell, Jom,Worpel ect

Hope that ankle is ok. Has stepped up this year.
He reappeared after the injury, right? Hopefully ok for next week. Playing really well.

I think the quick hacks are because he isn't quite as fast at breaking away as Worpel, and focuses on getting it out or forward as quick as possible. I thought he looked cleaner earlier in the year when we had more experience in the midfield and he had a little more time.

Keeps stepping up to the plate and generally doing a very good job in his role. Still has things to work on, but this exposure has already been invaluable to his development. You can just see his confidence increasing week upon week

(Log in to remove this ad.)

He reappeared after the injury, right? Hopefully ok for next week. Playing really well.

I think the quick hacks are because he isn't quite as fast at breaking away as Worpel, and focuses on getting it out or forward as quick as possible. I thought he looked cleaner earlier in the year when we had more experience in the midfield and he had a little more time.
JOM played 3 quarters with his hip issue and got 32 disp, 12 tackles.......then missed the next week

I'm not as enamoured as most on Cousins to be honest. He can find the ball but seems to lack awareness and decision making and just hacks the ball forward. For mine he is an OK player, but i'd be worried if he is in our best 22 next year what that means for our midfield.

Happy to be proven wrong obviously.

I'm not as enamoured as most on Cousins to be honest. He can find the ball but seems to lack awareness and decision making and just hacks the ball forward. For mine he is an OK player, but i'd be worried if he is in our best 22 next year what that means for our midfield.

Happy to be proven wrong obviously.

You’re not happy with a player who’s played 11 whole games?
That’s 11, most of which off the bench, and thrown into the heat of a midfield.

He’s only a kid.

Wait until he’s played 12!

Seriously why judge him on such small sample?

It's bigfooty mate. It would be a quiet place without opinions.

I think he has played well, but lacks the physical attributes, size and pace, the kicking skills and decision making to become a long term midfielder in a good team. These are probably why he was overlooked in his draft year.

Credit to the guy, and hopefully I am wrong.

I think he has played well, but lacks the physical attributes, size and pace, the kicking skills and decision making to become a long term midfielder in a good team. These are probably why he was overlooked in his draft year.

Totally disagree with your opinion there mate. May I remind you of a certain pick 36, 2001 draft??

Cousins has a good footy brain and gives it a crack. Sky's the limit with this kid.

He was killing it in the second qtr so much so that the commentators started mentioning him and then he rolled his ankle!! Our midfield was doing quite fine imo. He was our leading ball winner until then . I understand the some of his weaknesses are there for all to see but I see a good solid on baller with a fair bit of improvement in him! Happy to see him keep getting games with Worpel and Howe as our next batch of inside mids coming through.

He was killing it in the second qtr so much so that the commentators started mentioning him and then he rolled his ankle!! Our midfield was doing quite fine imo. He was our leading ball winner until then . I understand the some of his weaknesses are there for all to see but I see a good solid on baller with a fair bit of improvement in him! Happy to see him keep getting games with Worpel and Howe as our next batch of inside mids coming through.
He has fast hands, amazing lateral movement and can find the pill and isn;t afraid to put his head on the line, needs to fix his kicking but there's more than enough to work with for a solid AFL player.

Sounds like Liam shiels

Remove this Banner Ad

Back