Roast The Point of No Return

Nah it was Duursma.

I think unreasonably writing off Duursma is the opinion that finally brings balance to the force for Schulzenfest after refusing to write off Cam Hitchcock for way too long.

Either that or it's the new Jay Schulz where I hate him for two months and he ends up being my favourite player. Hopefully it's that one.

Either that or it's the new Jay Schulz where I hate him for two months and he ends up being my favourite player. Hopefully it's that one.
I’n hoping he’s my Josh Francou whom I greatly disliked as a flanker but loved when he became clearance king

El_Scorcho

Hall of Famer
Aug 21, 2007
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Aston Villa, San Antonio Spurs
I haven't posted much in this thread yet. I'm pretty sure this time came for me when we got spanked by Essendon in 2017 at Etihad.

I'd had well documented issues with our gameplan and selection issues since the great Gray for Butcher folly of round 4 2014. The early frustrating losses to good sides that year, where we could easily account for bad sides but couldn't get over the line against anyone worth talking about were probably the writing on the wall. The Essendon result sealed it.

We hadn't learned a thing from the previous 2 years. It wasn't just Ryder being suspended holding us back in 2016. We were just an average football side who lost games because we were outcoached against any side that was in the same talent ballpark as us.

If you go back and look at a few of the threads from anywhere between mid 2014-2017, it's just the same arguments. Gold passes to average footballers, no value placed on structure, no leadership in close games, no ability to make in game tactical adjustments that make any difference.

The credits Ken had up his sleeve from 2014 had well and trult worn out by preseason 2017, and we were done when it became obvious we couldn't beat any good sides in 2017.

The only difference between the arguments then and now, is that now we're into the disastrous contract extension and every poor performance lays squarely on the shoulders of David Koch and Keith Thomas.

On Duursma, I didnt care about the result so much as I did for him. I wanted him to kick the goal for himself not for me or anyone else, or the result.

Us after the game

FB_IMG_1555253856760.jpg

Jun 12, 2012
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
I haven't posted much in this thread yet. I'm pretty sure this time came for me when we got spanked by Essendon in 2017 at Etihad.

I'd had well documented issues with our gameplan and selection issues since the great Gray for Butcher folly of round 4 2014. The early frustrating losses to good sides that year, where we could easily account for bad sides but couldn't get over the line against anyone worth talking about were probably the writing on the wall. The Essendon result sealed it.

We hadn't learned a thing from the previous 2 years. It wasn't just Ryder being suspended holding us back in 2016. We were just an average football side who lost games because we were outcoached against any side that was in the same talent ballpark as us.

If you go back and look at a few of the threads from anywhere between mid 2014-2017, it's just the same arguments. Gold passes to average footballers, no value placed on structure, no leadership in close games, no ability to make in game tactical adjustments that make any difference.

The credits Ken had up his sleeve from 2014 had well and trult worn out by preseason 2017, and we were done when it became obvious we couldn't beat any good sides in 2017.

The only difference between the arguments then and now, is that now we're into the disastrous contract extension and every poor performance lays squarely on the shoulders of David Koch and Keith Thomas.

Yeah for me it was probably also the Essendon game but then Showdown 43 came along and snuffed out any lingering doubt.

That game was possibly the worst performance this club has turned in since 119. Funnily enough Adelaide’s 1st qtr return was only 1.9 and they still almost beat us by 100 points. I remember the inside 50 count was something obscene like 80-30, I mean sweet farken Moses Summerton’s Magpies probably would’ve done better than that. We deserved a 150 point humiliation that day.

Four games later we re-signed Hinkley.

Jun 7, 2015
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Just some random thoughts while I try to accept last weekends game:

Hinkley, K --- 2013-2019 141 games 56.03%
Primus, M --- 2010-2012 47 games 27.66%
Williams, M --1999-2010 274 games 55.47%
Cahill, J ----- 1974-2008 624 games 66.29%

----------------------

To make finals in the AFL, you need at least 13 wins.
We now need 11 of the last 18.

Last edited:
May 31, 2004
Adelaide
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Port Adelaide
Just some random thoughts while I try to accept last weekends game:

Hinkley, K --- 2013-2019 141 games 56.03%
Primus, M --- 2010-2012 47 games 27.66%
Williams, M --1999-2010 274 games 55.47%
Cahill, J ----- 1974-2008 624 games 66.29%

----------------------

Glory days of cahill need to be realized unlikely to be repeated in afl. So if your head set is still tuned to that, then your expectations are likely to be dashed and you could well become a negative blamer. Ring a bell
Enjoy the wins and journey. 57 58 percent would be nice

On Duursma, I didnt care about the result so much as I did for him. I wanted him to kick the goal for himself not for me or anyone else, or the result.

He could have kicked it and the team could of still lost the game anyway, as we have no will under pressure and stop.

I can’t see why that trend will stop now. We have experienced players that just know this fate, it’s ingrained and even though they speak sport speak, they accept it for what it is.

We would have been better off recruiting Hodge to show everyone what we have to do to win.

Jun 12, 2012
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
He could have kicked it and the team could of still lost the game anyway, as we have no will under pressure and stop.

I can’t see why that trend will stop now. We have experienced players that just know this fate, it’s ingrained and even though they speak sport speak, they accept it for what it is.

We would have been better off recruiting Hodge to show everyone what we have to do to win.

We need to pinch someone from West Coast who knows what it takes to consistently win the tight ones.

Wait.

So, 5% more than Ken’s avg to date?

That seems like a significant deviation from the norm in a very short time, but that’s not how averages work.

If we do manage to win 11 out of 18 games, Ken’s avg would would only be half a percentile better than it is now.

Ergo, if Ken maintains his winning average, or better, we more than likely make finals.

Smithy7

Brownlow Medallist
10k Posts
Mar 1, 2014
South of Scotland
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Speaking of Duursma, after watching us play Richmond last night I've finally come up with the player he reminds me of, and it's not a particularly favourable comparison. Brandon Ellis.
Oh right .. Ellis has played 150+ games Duursma 4. Our young kids are learning the ropes, so to say.
They will have their ups and downs .. and it will be interesting to watch their journey with Port.

Feb 3, 2006
Adelaide
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
I agree.

'There's other teams?" is a new-ish poster and it is also a common Hinkley phrase, and it is a perculiar coincidence.
Nothing has changed? I guess we still have tarps over seats. I guess people are talking about taking our licence back because we are broke. The reality is we are playing a great exciting brand of football, lots of people go to the games, players want to come to the club oh and yes this weeks game was a disaster but only if you think that only the stars make a team and that without the stars a team cant win. I dont post here much because I usually dont engage with people who are all whinny the world is ending nothing is good type of people. People who are supporters dont bag their club if I wanted that I would join the crows not Port.

Back