Rolling World Cup squad thread

Really disappointed for Handscomb if true. His strike rate and ability to work the ball against spin in the middle overs has been very underrated imo. I know someone has to miss but sad to hear it is him.

Was always the likely one. He needed to have a good Pakistan series, he didn't. Plus Carey had a good series.

Blue Dimension

Norm Smith Medallist
Jul 18, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
N Mystics & GC Lightning
Tough to say he didn’t have a good series. His chances were limited.

Game 1 - 37* (20)
Game 2 - DNB
Game 3 - 47 (43) (strong strike rate on a slow pitch but yes would kick himself he didn’t go on with it. But third highest score in a win)
Game 4 - 7 (11) (his only failure)
Game 5 - out in the 49th over for 8, only facing 5 balls.

One failure there and one score where he didn’t kick on on a slow pitch, but batted very well and scored freely when pretty much everyone else except Maxwell struggled.

Toe Poke

All Australian
May 17, 2013
AFL Club
Geelong
The SMH article is here:
https://www.smh.com.au/sport/cricket/hazlewood-handscomb-set-to-miss-world-cup-20190414-p51dz9.html

Timestamp April 14, 2019 at 8.33pm

The article says that the (likely) squad is as follows:

Finch
Warner
Khawaja
Smith
S Marsh
Maxwell
Stoinis

Carey

Cummins
Starc
J Richardson
Coulter-Nile
Behrendorff
Lyon
Zampa

Most people in this thread (myself included) had squads of 6 bowlers + 1 keeper + 8 batsmen (with the likes of Stoinis, Maxwell and M Marsh labelled as batsmen)

However the squad from the article has 7 bowlers + 1 keeper + 7 batsmen (which includes Maxwell and Stoinis)

The article notes that the two "big" outs are Handscomb and Hazlewood.

Others that were not selected who played for Australia recently include Turner and K Richardson.
M Marsh and others who did not play in the India/Pakistan series also missed out.

And if Shane Warne is reading this post, D'arcy Short also missed out.

twitter . com /tommorris32/status/1117401134086230016

"Alex Carey will be the sole gloveman in Australia’s WC squad. But as part of Aus A tour, there will be 3: Paine, Wade & Handscomb. Any of this trio could be called up if Carey gets injured, unless it’s on the morning of a match... Then we’re rooted. A risk from selectors."

Last edited:

BlueandGoldforever

Cancelled
Apr 10, 2008
Sydney
AFL Club
West Coast
There is a squad named in The Daily Telegraph/Herald Sun but I don't subscribe to News Limited so if anyone could post it here that would be appreciated.

Ishikawa

Club Legend
Jul 18, 2018
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Cringed at Lyon being in, but the rest I am pleased with.

Unfortunate for Handscomb and Turner both of whom made close to compelling cases for selection in the last few games, but I do feel it's a good thing they've looked to reward consistency of form over a longer period of time.

Nel_cats

Team Captain
Sep 22, 2016
AFL Club
Geelong
Well given that that handscomb is a straight swap out for smith, he better have a blinder of a tournament. I mean we are getting rid of an in form batsman for someone who just had surgery and hasn’t done anything too flashy in the IPL. In saying that Hopefully he comes good when it matters and we won’t regret the selection

Handscomb unlucky. Not super confident in Stoinis or Lyon but hopefully they lift for the WC
Lyon's competition was Agar. 2 spinners were always going to go. Handscomb missed out by the brain dead decision to go with 5 quicks.

Jan 13, 2015
AFL Club
Sydney
predictable squad with no real surprises.

only surprise for me was that its one bowler too many, i would've preferred a batsman/batting all rounder/batsman keeper.

that being said it looks as if maxwell, stoinis and carey are locked in @ 5, 6 & 7 for every match, with one reserve bat and three reserve bowlers.

Nel_cats

Team Captain
Sep 22, 2016
AFL Club
Geelong
Yeah... why do we need 5 quicks? Is that how it’s always been? Given we have Zampa + Lyon I dunno. Maybe a reserve keeper or another bat

Toe Poke

All Australian
May 17, 2013
AFL Club
Geelong
Would have preferred Handscomb or Turner to Stoinis.
I find with Stoinis he has has two modes, chug along in neutral or crank it up to 5th gear and go nuts. Nothing in-between which i reckon you need for a world cup.

In that scenario, with Turner unable to bowl, Smith/Finch would be the 6th/7th bowlers. Not an ideal situation.

corbies

Jul 31, 2010
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
S'roos, New Jets, Cronulla
What has to be remembered in this thread is that if a member of the 15 is injured they can still be replaced. Its why we haven't picked a reserve keeper and only 1 reserve bat. The bowlers are more likely to get picked/dropped based on conditions whereas the batsman will really only come out of the side due to injury.

Sep 15, 2011
AFL Club
West Coast
What has to be remembered in this thread is that if a member of the 15 is injured they can still be replaced. Its why we haven't picked a reserve keeper and only 1 reserve bat. The bowlers are more likely to get picked/dropped based on conditions whereas the batsman will really only come out of the side due to injury.
Good point; one of Khawaja or SMarsh is going to be unlucky to miss out; the team should be settled, but if one gets injured or loses form, the other is the obvious replacement. Any other bats would just be kicking their heels for a month.

100% this

They named an extra bowler to a) let guys rest where required and b) pick to the conditions.

The addition of Lyon has allowed us to play 2 spinners where required and adding Dorf/NCN lets us rotate quicks against the lesser nations to keep the main guys fresh.

May 30, 2006
Canberra
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Yeah... why do we need 5 quicks? Is that how it’s always been? Given we have Zampa + Lyon I dunno. Maybe a reserve keeper or another bat
Aren't both Starc and J Richardson under an injury cloud? The extra quick might be needed in that case, and its unlikely two front-line spinners will play. They will for most teams, but Australia doesn't have the quality.

May 20, 2014
AFL Club
Geelong
We need the extra quicks because they are either coming back from injury or to a man are 5 minutes away from getting injured again.

We always pick fast bowler heavy squads. That is not a surprise.

Only difference from my squad was Handscomb out for Lyon. A lot of faith in Smith being right and he hasn't seemed to have done a lot in the IPL last time I checked. Plus Handscomb could have covered Carey as well.

I guess we have been seduced by other teams going spin heavy so have taken Lyon instead but I just don't think it is our go. We won the last WC with Maxwell as the spinner. Zampa plus Maxwell more than sufficient for mine.

Tough to say he didn’t have a good series. His chances were limited.

Game 1 - 37* (20)
Game 2 - DNB
Game 3 - 47 (43) (strong strike rate on a slow pitch but yes would kick himself he didn’t go on with it. But third highest score in a win)
Game 4 - 7 (11) (his only failure)
Game 5 - out in the 49th over for 8, only facing 5 balls.

One failure there and one score where he didn’t kick on on a slow pitch, but batted very well and scored freely when pretty much everyone else except Maxwell struggled.

I get that but when you are borderline at best, he needed a big score in games 3 and 4. He didn't. I feel they have made the right call especially as the WC is in England. SMarsh has a phenomenal record in England in ODI cricket.

Jul 12, 2004
Junktion Oval
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
England
If they actually intend on playing Lyon, then they'll have 3 quicks on the sidelines which seems a little overkill

I can see the point of 5 quicks if they are picking the 1 spinner, especially given they are guaranteed 9 games, there will be rotations.

Lyons spot is a bit of a waste, he has got into the squad bowling ok but not threatening on sub continent pitches

The weakness I look at the squad is there is cover for the top 3, cover for the bowlers but no cover for batsmen 4-7.

Finch, Warner, Khawaja, Smith, Marsh is a very unbalanced top 5 if Maxwell, Stoinis or Carey get injured on the day of a game. Even if its before a game, they cant just replace them if its only going to be for 1-2 games

If they actually intend on playing Lyon, then they'll have 3 quicks on the sidelines which seems a little overkill

I can see the point of 5 quicks if they are picking the 1 spinner, especially given they are guaranteed 9 games, there will be rotations.

Lyons spot is a bit of a waste, he has got into the squad bowling ok but not threatening on sub continent pitches

The weakness I look at the squad is there is cover for the top 3, cover for the bowlers but no cover for batsmen 4-7.

Finch, Warner, Khawaja, Smith, Marsh is a very unbalanced top 5 if Maxwell, Stoinis or Carey get injured on the day of a game. Even if its before a game, they cant just replace them if its only going to be for 1-2 games

Lyon will only play in certain conditions, but it's handy to at least have the option.

Finch keeping if Carey is injured for a game or two would be funny though.

Back