Status
Not open for further replies.
Aug 16, 2009
Latvia
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Phoenix Suns
I am speculating along similar lines re the Co Captaincy . With regard to Wines obviously the Club felt they should play the 'keep him at Alberton' card as they did with Boak. At the same time I suspect that Jonas may have been the player's man so a compromise was needed. If that is the case, and it is not illogical to assume it is, then it is piss weak management.

Of course none of this may be true but Members cannot help but speculate, particularly as those running the Club these days practice mushroom theory.

Jonas was very much along the lines of being promised the captaincy to keep him away from Sydney and their big offer.

AwwThatsApples

Cancelled
Mar 24, 2019
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
HFL
This is about our club we love and know one man should ever be bigger than the club itself. Hinkley was put ahead the club (supporters) when he held the club to ransom with the GC interest.
Well, right now they have the control over our club, to the dismay of many of our supporters.
The only way to remove their power is through taking some kind of action, and right now it's about money.
As long as we don't have another Primus period than the board cares little for changing things as long as the club is making a profit.
It all comes down to money right now I think.
Similar to our rivals as their on-field success doesn't matter as much as long as they can make enough profit.

The Rubber Man

Club Legend
May 1, 2018
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Thoughts on bringing in Francou as head coach? (haven't seen discussions on this although i haven't looked hard)

Ive been heavily against ex players being head coach since the primus disaster.

But assistant for a long period at sydney during a fairly successful era. Shown that he wont stand for a rabble of a coaching group/organisation as seen by him fleeing the crows after last year. Since joining the suns, the worst list in the comp have been performing way above their skill level.

Ken out, Francou in.

Apr 6, 2014
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
I am speculating along similar lines re the Co Captaincy . With regard to Wines obviously the Club felt they should play the 'keep him at Alberton' card as they did with Boak. At the same time I suspect that Jonas may have been the player's man so a compromise was needed. If that is the case, and it is not illogical to assume it is, then it is piss weak management.

Of course none of this may be true but Members cannot help but speculate, particularly as those running the Club these days practice mushroom theory.

I don't how they would promise it given the process they follow to select the candidates which includes the player preferences as well but they may have outlined why he would be a very likely candidate and favourite for it in the future. I think the co-captaincy really came from the failure of of last season. Hinkley implied that 'on field leadership' was a problem that came out in the review and so it appears like it was born from that and from the Hinkley/Davies pair along with a discussion with Boak to ponder his continuation.

The Rubber Man

Club Legend
May 1, 2018
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Francou hasn’t shown anything to suggest he’d be any good.

I’m all for Schofield, not because he’s a former player, but because he’s had a successful career at WAFL level turning Subiaco into a powerhouse.

Too early for him to tell. Bassett had a similar resume at SANFL level. At AFL level he does not seem ready for the head coach job.

Francou has a better resume imo being more involved in AFL systems.

Jun 19, 2005
Adelaide
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Too early for him to tell. Bassett had a similar resume at SANFL level. At AFL level he does not seem ready for the head coach job.

Francou has a better resume imo being more involved in AFL systems.

Bassett has success at Norwood by employing AFL style defensive structures that less sophisticated SANFL sides had trouble working through.
Schofield’s Subiaco was absolutely obliterating all comers on a weekly basis.

At this point, I think the complaints have stagnated. The message isn't getting across to the board or the club, which almost surprises me because I'd say that there are enough people in this thread for a public protest, but right now it's all talk and no action in this thread. I'm not a man of action myself, because I'm just gonna play along with whatever the club decides to do, but it sounds like there are plentiful people here who would be inclined to gab.

The club are well aware of member/supporter discontent.

But they’re answerable to no-one. Members can’t spill the board. Koch has the job as long as he wants it.

This isn’t a democracy, it’s a dictatorship. Which is all well and good when the dictator has the faintest idea of what he’s doing, or at least has set KPI’s which marry up with member expectations.

For Koch and Thomas, it’s all about being a solvent Washington Generals. Making sure Port Adelaide presents as 22 guys on a given matchday to satisfy the stakeholders (AFL, SMA, invested media).

After that, as long as our (Port’s) bills are paid, it’s job done.

Talk of ‘premierships’, ‘ruthlessness’ and everything between is exactly that. It’s why all Koch and Thomas’ baseline messaging has been about Port being a ‘little club’ that ‘punches above its weight’.

Hinkley’s 5 years of purified mediocrity and mindnumbing bozoism is getting the job done, basically.

Oct 4, 2003
Portress
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Boston Celtics

But they’re answerable to no-one. Members can’t spill the board. Koch has the job as long as he wants it.

This isn’t a democracy, it’s a dictatorship. Which is all well and good when the dictator has the faintest idea of what he’s doing, or at least has set KPI’s which marry up with member expectations.

For Koch and Thomas, it’s all about being a solvent Washington Generals. Making sure Port Adelaide presents as 22 guys on a given matchday to satisfy the stakeholders (AFL, SMA, invested media).

Talk of ‘premierships’, ‘ruthlessness’ and everything between is exactly that. It’s why all Koch and Thomas’ baseline messaging has been about Port being a ‘little club’ that ‘punches above its weight’.

Hinkley’s 5 years of purified mediocrity and mindnumbing bozoism is getting the job done, basically.
What utter garbage. Those think that Keith and Kochy are just simply there to pay the bills and not to try and ensure the best chances of Port being successful, are wrong. I know it fits the narrative and lines up well with a lot of people's feelings towards the club, but its quite simply a fallacy.

What utter garbage. Those think that Keith and Kochy are just simply there to pay the bills and not to try and ensure the best chances of Port being successful, are wrong. I know it fits the narrative and lines up well with a lot of people's feelings towards the club, but its quite simply a fallacy.
Then they need to exit the coach asap. Otherwise it is what it is, mediocrity forever.

Dalfino

#BringBackTheBars
May 10, 2014
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Liverpool FC
I think what shits me off the most about Ken's reign is the fact that we've consistently been unable to capitalise on what has really been a golden premiership window of opportunity for the club, list-wise and with the state of the league in general. Just take each season of his reign so far:

2013 - Making finals in his first year after the 2008-2012 period was a fantastic effort. Big tick.

2014 - We played a strong, exciting brand of football but regressed in the second half of the year. Finished 2 wins outside the top-4 and 3 outside top-2. We should've beat Essendon, Richmond and Collingwood at least in the back half of that season which would've gotten us there. We had a great finals series but failed to kick straight in the prelim. Considering Sydney's form on Grand Final day, that was a huge missed opportunity for us. Improved well from 2013 but failed to capitalise on opportunity.

2015 - We go into the season as flag favourites on the back of recruiting the "missing piece of the puzzle" and estimated natural improvement from the 2014 squad. We finished 1 win outside of the top-8 and 4 outside of the top-4. We lack consistency, show signs of complacency and failure to meet expectations following season 2014 and fail to address the problems with our game-plan with Ryder now integrated into the system. We showed we could still beat the best and turn on our god-mode form but losses to Brisbane, Carlton, Geelong and the Bulldogs cost us dearly in a season where we should've taken the chocolates. Unforgivable.

2016 - I write this one off anyways since we had a horror run with injuries, but alas we still showed a failure to address the issues with our game-plan and failure to prepare a plan-B after the Ryder and Monfries suspensions. Considering the ******* Bulldogs pulled a premiership out of their arse that year, it really was another missed opportunity.

2017 - We finished 1 win outside of top-4 and two wins off top. We played a decent brand of football and smashed the bottom teams but in continuing the trend of failing to meet expectations we couldn't stand up against the better ones, which was shown when we capped off our season nicely in our infamous elimination final loss. The Crows were meant to be "unbeatable" that season and yet we finished a win and a half behind them. A good run with injuries too, we absolutely pissed that season down the ******* drain. Our lack of leadership and composure really showed there.

2018 - After 2017 showed signs of improvement, all we really needed to do was fix our forward-line and stand up against the better teams and we would've be prime for the premiership. We recruited mature-age heads to give us that leadership and experience in that premiership push. Instead we decided to completely revert our game-plan to a dour, defensive style that didn't suit our players at all. Alas, we managed to scrape our way to an 11-4 record and although our issues were glaring, with a good bank of points behind us and room for improvement in the lead-up to finals we were once again in a good position to capitalise on a fairly even season where no team really stood out from the rest. We ended up finish 12-10, losing 6 of our last 7, 1 win outside of finals and 3 wins outside of top-4. An absolute joke considering the position we were in. With how close we got to beating the eventual premiers that year, another opportunity for success right down the drain.

2019 - After a big shake-up in the coaches box and playing group, we looked to be trying a more attacking brand of football, playing key players in their preferred positions (e.g Boak and Rockliff) and injected our side with a fresh, exciting coat of youth to mix with the experienced heads. Even with a few injuries to key players and the co-captains debacle, things were looking up, until we decided to **** up our structure again and our leaders went MIA in two close losses following our 2-0 to the season. This is shaping up to be another year where no team really has a ******* clue what's going on and it will end up being very even by the end of it, so to ******* piss away two wins because of a ******* dumb change of structure two rounds in could very well cost us our spot in finals and s**t all over another golden opportunity to make an impact this season.

It's the same s**t every year, groundhog day since late 2014. Repeat lack of leadership, consistency, structure and game-plan. We've pissed what could've very well been 6 golden years down the drain when we had a good list and other teams looked vulnerable. If we were ever going to snag that elusive 2nd AFL premiership it would've been 2014-2019, but we've managed to royally **** that up, and now will probably have to wait another 5-10 years before we get ourselves in another position like that. Cheers Ken, Koch and KT.

Oct 4, 2003
Portress
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Boston Celtics
Then they need to exit the coach asap. Otherwise it is what it is, mediocrity forever.
I get that people have this view and that is fine, but when people honestly believe that Keith and Kochy dont care about on field results, they are wrong.

If Port Adelaide is solvent and ‘competitive’ it is successful.

The ‘data warehouse’ nonsense has convinced them that the team will contend in two years when half the players’ bones are dust, and that’s a nice dream to cling to.

AwwThatsApples

Cancelled
Mar 24, 2019
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
HFL

Well, I've said it before but if Port had come into the AFL first we would become the primary focus of SA, meaning we would get the better players and coaches and more importantly higher expectations.
This is why we have this tone of mediocrity, and also because we simply want to avoid another Primus period after the damage it caused to our club financially. If it wasn't for the SANFL's arrogance stopping us from coming into the AFL in 1991, we wouldn't have this tone of mediocrity. Our early years were exceptions to this rule because in the duress of those times we were still heavily backed by magpie interests and faithful Port Adelaide families and members

meaning we would get the better players and coaches and more importantly higher expectations.

For most of the past 5 years we’ve had the better players in this market.

Unless anyone truly believes that potatoes like Walker, Atkins, Jenkins and Otten are superior to Gray, Boak and Wingard.

I get that people have this view and that is fine, but when people honestly believe that Keith and Kochy dont care about on field results, they are wrong.

KT would. Football is in his blood.

Koch would only care to the point that it damages his reputation.
He doesn't seem to get what the culture of a football club is, or needs to be.

AwwThatsApples

Cancelled
Mar 24, 2019
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
HFL
For most of the past 5 years we’ve had the better players in this market.

Unless anyone truly believes that potatoes like Walker, Atkins, Jenkins and Otten are superior to Gray, Boak and Wingard.
Haven't all those listed players been victim to controversy?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back