News NMFC AFLW 2019

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

Will be eligible for Collingwood.

Nah, not enough games.

Probably been to Bondi Beach though on a family holiday, so Swans Academy has them sewn up.

Synergy will be the focus for the North Melbourne Tasmanian Kangaroos in their second AFLW season with a raft of core players re-committing to the club.

Leading the way are skipper Emma Kearney and inaugural best-and-fairest winner, Jenna Bruton, with the pair signing on for a further two seasons.

Kearney and Bruton are joined by All-Australians Emma King and Jas Garner, as well as vice-captain Britt Gibson, best-and-fairest runner up Kate Gillespie-Jones and Kaitlyn Ashmore.

North AFLW coach Scott Gowans has also re-signed, and said finding stability is an integral part of the team successfully moving into its second season.

“Part of our strategy was to build a sense of belonging and synergy,” Gowans said.

“2020 will come quickly and it’s critical we have a group of players that know and trust one another on and off the field.

“The challenge in the past season was that the players were new to each other, but next season it will be a different story. We will be able to build on the infamous Shinboner Spirit, the relationships that have formed and the sense of togetherness and camaraderie we were able to create.

A key part of building that trust is having a leader the players know and respect. Gowans’ extension a key pillar in the club’s roadmap to success.

“That shows the club’s faith in me and I’m very happy to continue the journey with North and a super talented group of players and support staff,” he said.

Gowans will also continue to coach Melbourne University in the VFLW.

“I just want to get better and stronger as a unit, giving the players every opportunity to be successful,” Gowans added.

“With the introduction of two year contracts for players, we’re able to gain some real security and develop a clearer blue-print for success. It’s great that our players are buying into our vision and seeing a real opportunity to create history here at Arden St.

“For us, it’s about improvement and growth, and putting a team together that is united and committed to the club and each other,” he said.

North will announce further signings and list changes in the coming days.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Impressive to be able to retain Emma King considering her recent history at Punt Road and especially in light of the news that her close acquaintance Christina Bernardi has just signed on there.

Where is big Sabrina from the Brissie Lions headed ? have heard she is coming to Melbourne, i'm sure we could find a spot in the team for her.
The early rumours suggested Richmond were pursuing her and St Kilda weren't. The Tigers have already POACHED two rather prominent tallish forwards, so maybe that means they're not going after her now. Or maybe it means they would just play her on the ball more, having definitely missed out on their ideal ruck target.

Should be our number 1 opposition trade target
Very tough to trade with interstate teams though with the way the draft works. The Lions would probably prefer players rather than picks in return (see their Tayla Harris deal with Carlton) which is bad for us because we like the players we've got!

Apparently 3 more Brisbane players want to come to Melbourne too, which again is likely only good news if one of our girls is already looking to move to Queensland. But we'll see what happens, exceptions do of course occur from time to time.

https://www.bigfooty.com/forum/threads/nmfc-aflw-2019.1130191/post-59850667

Predictions roughly on track from above though Duffin still OOC has me slightly curious.

Spots 1-5: Top 3 are pretty clear cut imo. Spots 4 & 5 could swap with 2 of the next group fairly easily.

1 Kearney
2 Duffin
3 Em. King
4 Bruton
5 Gibson

Spots 6-10: positional needs have to be considered hence an emphasis on attributes like pace and defensive positions.

Garner
Ashmore
Gillespie-Jones

Grierson
Randall

Spots 11-15: all these players have shown something to be retained
Hardiman
Abbatangelo
Munn
Riddell
Drennan (I probably rate her higher than most)

Developing players – keep if possible:
Bresnehan
Bateman
El. King
Trend
Nanscawen

On the fringe:
Lynch - will probably go to Richmond
Mesiti
Humphries - club will rate higher, ball use suspect
Stanton - ditto

Haven’t observed enough to comment: